Walmart SuperTech Filter diminishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed lately at all of my local walmarts that the amount of supertech filters on the shelves is diminishing. The shelf space has gone to nothing and they are expanding out the Fram sections in a few stores and motorcraft in others. I use to be able to pick up ST filters for both my cars but only 1 anymore. Do you think they are being discontinued or maybe going to another manufacturer?

I've seen the same thing at Wal-Marts in my area only later to see a veritable "explosion" of ST restocking a month or two later. Go figure. (Maybe the infamous "feast-or-famine" supply line glitch in action?
dunno.gif
)

I keep seeing them diminish while the 3 differnt Fram styles are getting larger. Unfortunately, I have not see a restock 'explosion' for about a year now.

Fram has 4 different styles of filters, all junk. With the regular PH, X2, double guard, and tough guard, thats alot of filters. Call one of walmarts head offices and tell them you'd like to see more selection of the ST filters at your local walmart, and that you are displeased with fram taking up all the room.

(bitter, cynical rant)

Unless it's an 800 number, save your pennies and your breath. Uncle Wally DOES NOT CARE what you think. The veritable explosion of the Orange Wall of Doom is because FRAM has PAID Wally for that shelf space. I doubt the buyers at Wally World know or care that we members of BITOG have determined that SuperTech is a superior filter...the vast majority of people looking for filters in a place like Wal Mart are going to recognise the FRAM brand and instinctively reach for the orange can. FRAM is the #1 selling filter in America, right or wrong, and that's ALL Uncle Wally cares about.

(/bitter, cynical rant)

Exactly. Those of us that prefer not to use Fram are in the minority. They stock what sells. Unfortuneatly people want Frams, and quite frankly, the Fram supporters are large. A couple weekends ago I stumbled across biker tv (Canadian show) and the days tech topic was oil filters.
What was the guys basis for selecting the Fram filter? It had more surface area than the stock Harley filter. And becuase of that it was a superior filter. Brief blurb of lower cost, but No mention of anything else, just blanket, use the fram you won't go wrong. How do you combat something like that on national television? Orange can of doom is highly recognized, and if the top tech says its good, by ***, it must be good.

Honestly though, as much as I dislike Fram oil filters, I would use them again for various give-take reasons.

Alex.

Fram is a well established brand. It is heavily advertised and marketed. It has a quality image. It may look like trash when you cut it open, but it is hard for the average consumer to see any problems with it. Wally's has come to dominate lower end retailing by giving the people what they want, at the lowest prices.

I hate and despise Fram for marketing trash as quality. When the ST 3950 disappears from Wal-Mart, I will be buying my filters elsewhere.

Probably just stocking and suppling variences. Look at the Motorcrafts come and go, along with other products.

-T

Why bother with buying oil filters at WM. Unless it's the Motorcraft which is back. Advance auto is selling Purolators on sale and then a rebate to boot. I can get my filters for under $2.00 basically.
Buy in bulk and stock up.
Super tech's suck, the can thickness is about paper thin now.

quote:

Originally posted by fred0803:
Super tech's suck, the can thickness is about paper thin now.

They might be paper thing but I could care less for my beater car. I just want a decent filter that's cheap. The thickness is good enough for me... last summer my ac went out and the front of the ac clutch actually flew off. After I got the car home and was checking everything out I noticed the oil filter had a nice size dent in it... from the clutch hitting it. The filter never ripped open or anything.
wink.gif
Just lucky I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back