Walmart raises their starting wage to $11 an hour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Good news is, this will act as a financial stimulus, because their competitors will have to match the salary increases

Many of their competitors are already paying their employees this much.

In addition, base wage is just one factor of overall compensation. One should consider the whole package, including benefits or lack thereof.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Still well below poverty level on a single income.

Maybe in some areas, but in Waco where you are, thats good money. I watch fixer Upper, and you can get a huge house in Waco for the price of a single wide mobile home here.

The Walmart in my town, along with fast food places etc., can't hire enough people to work. The going wages at the fast food places is now up to $13-14 an hour. The local Walmart is losing workers because their corporate headquarters can't move fast enough to keep up with the prevailing wage.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Lowering taxes has worked in the past for the economy. Every time. Now we get the chance to see if it works, again. Interesting.

Just have to figure out how to fund the government and the building debt. It has a pesky effect of driving up deficit.

Easy. The economy grows when you let people keep more of their hard earned money. Larger economy equals much greater tax income even if the tax rate is lower. When you unshackle companies of crippling tax rates, they are free to pay employees more or hire more.

Guess it's not working out well for all their workers
frown.gif

https://www.chron.com/business/retail/ar...on-12490832.php

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Good news is, this will act as a financial stimulus, because their competitors will have to match the salary increases

Many of their competitors are already paying their employees this much.

In addition, base wage is just one factor of overall compensation. One should consider the whole package, including benefits or lack thereof.

Not here they're not-my son works for Kroger, he's not getting over $9/hour. Of course, WM simultaneously closed a whole bunch of Sam's Club locations-maybe regular Wal-Marts are next??

I hate to see this simple thread goes political but it looks like everything is political these days.

Self checkout and ship to store is really going to eliminate a lot of jobs. You can debate whether $11/hr is a ripoff or good money, but in the end of the day it is still $11/hr and employers and customers will do anything to save even 20c on each item sold.

And we haven't even talked about online only retailers like Amazon bankrupting many retailers like Toysrus and Sears.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Lowering taxes has worked in the past for the economy. Every time. Now we get the chance to see if it works, again. Interesting.

Just have to figure out how to fund the government and the building debt. It has a pesky effect of driving up deficit.

Easy. The economy grows when you let people keep more of their hard earned money. Larger economy equals much greater tax income even if the tax rate is lower. When you unshackle companies of crippling tax rates, they are free to pay employees more or hire more.

Exactly right....and it works every single time. Even JFK knew this. Hard to convince some otherwise though as they are propagandized into robots.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
And we haven't even talked about online only retailers like Amazon bankrupting many retailers like Toysrus and Sears.

And Amazon is already in B&M retail grocery business thanks to the purchase of WholeFoods. Next step is checkout-less shopping, which they are already piloting.

And Amazon is already in B&M retail grocery business thanks to the purchase of WholeFoods. Next step is checkout-less shopping, which they are already piloting.

I wonder is Amazon will provide the pee bottles to those employees, or if they have to bring their own.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
They could have done this long ago. At least as the countries largest employer it is a good start. Now I wonder about their Healthcare benefit.

My son used to work for them. Their healthcare plan (according to him) is really just a catastrophic plan. Not too expensive.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I wonder is Amazon will provide the pee bottles to those employees, or if they have to bring their own.

There won't be any employees, other than maybe security.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Their healthcare plan (according to him) is really just a catastrophic plan. Not too expensive.

That's the direction most employers are going these days... high-deductible health plans with $6K-$7K out of pocket deductible per person. For someone making minimum wage, having to fork over this amount of money in case of illness DESPITE having health insurance is not very realistic, IMO. It's a joke, in general, regardless how much you make.

I hate to see this simple thread goes political but it looks like everything is political these days.

Self checkout and ship to store is really going to eliminate a lot of jobs. You can debate whether $11/hr is a ripoff or good money, but in the end of the day it is still $11/hr and employers and customers will do anything to save even 20c on each item sold.

Walmart is really pushing to go to scan and go only cashiering nationwide. Already have at some stores. They are also working on the stocking robot. Just these two things alone will eliminate jobs. They are also pushing their "Customer First" scheduling, which sounds good, but will really just cut employee hours, in many cases.
There are really only two major things which drive corporations in America these days. Stock prices and liability. Employees are a liability to most corporations. If they can raise stock price by showing a loss, they will do it. And I am not being negative, necessarily. It is just the way it is.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Their healthcare plan (according to him) is really just a catastrophic plan. Not too expensive.

That's the direction most employers are going these days... high-deductible health plans with $6K-$7K out of pocket deductible per person. For someone making minimum wage, having to fork over this amount of money in case of illness DESPITE having health insurance is not very realistic, IMO. It's a joke, in general, regardless how much you make.

Well....according to various health policy experts as well as the National Association of Health Underwriters (non-partisan)....the Walmart plan is more affordable and provides significant better access to high quality medical care than Obamacare.

While I'm no fan of Walmart, facts are facts and it's best to stick with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back