Wal-Mart Oil Specs VS other Outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
My impression was that OP's question related whether oil sold at Walmart under a manufacturers name was somehow different than that sold at other outlets such as auto parts stores. It's clear from the post that the question implies that the Wally product is somehow inferior to the oil product(s) sold elsewhere. My answer was no.

Now as for the apparently inevitable Wally bashing that enters with such a discussion, my answer to that would be, if one doesn't like Wally's business practices, shop elsewhere. In a free country it's very simple, one can buy from the retailer of their choice for whatever reason. The same goes if one believes the same labeled oil product not be the same if sold at Wally. That said, I don't agree with that conclusion.

For national brand products, maybe/maybe not. A VOA of a bottle of this or that oil bought in quarts from another store versus a 5 qt bottle from wally may provide insight.

I WOULD be very scared of their store brand stuff, as it is likely formulated to a different price point and quality than national brand stuff. You see this with anything else from plastic bags to pants to tires to whatever else, why not wally world oil?

Now that said, if the majors have only two or three blending sites nationally, and say wally constitutes 30% market share and is exerting extreme price pressure, it could make sense to provide something that is "good enough" in a wally bottle that is separate. We see that for other stuff, why not oil? That said, it may then require a separate MSDS, PDS, API cert, etc. which may or may not make sense... However, the blenders surely also know how much tradespace they have. Pennzoil removes x% of sludge? Well maybe the wal mart 5qt pennzoil only removes n-5% of sludge, which they know will still be OK by API, but not at the quality point they desire. They meet price point and all is well.

Who knows. Only way to determine is to run the experiment... and didnt the supertech gear oil experiment show it wasnt up to snuff?

Most of the metals analysis here is messed up so bad you couldnt make any conclusion. Too much variability. My 2C is: same part # same stuff. It should be built to meet the datsheet min specs - though API can and does give the big boyz a pass on out of control spec/conditions. It's in the contract.

I doubt Mobil, Quaker State; etc would chance a big hit to their reputation by selling inferior quality/grade oil to WM.
Even TV sets are the same inside as the rest of their lines.
There are several grades of TV within each size though.
WM sells the lower grade models, last years models, to offer the lower price.
Check Samsung's web site.
Fewer features, 60 Hz instead of 120, etc...
Most internals are the same.

Old wives tale: Auto stores, back in the 60s/70s whispered that Champion spark plugs at discount stores were seconds; used; refurbished etc...to discourage DIY'rs from buying cheaper plugs.
Nonsense.

I don't think the product is any different, as well in a major industry it's cost huge amounts of money to make a same product then a lesser product having to keep these "oils" in this case in separate containers from start to finish or at least some point in the production to the end consumer not to mention data sheets, paper trails that go on forever.. Also in some instances national brands may be cheaper just due to the advertising point, maybe even the bottle holding the fluid is cheaper... and then at times the product itself will be inferior..

The oils you purchase at walmart with brand names I 100% suspect these are the exact same as oil oils in any other store represented by the name on the oil, and specifications met ( 5w-20 etc, and the tier synthetic, etc) Now on the national brands I would actually trust walmart to produce a better product than many other national name brands, and there is also a lot of evidence for this in the UOA section.. I believe if there were any difference in walmart brand name oils such as Castrol, Pennzoil, Mobil etc etc it would be caught quickly in the UOA section.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Moto...ty_Walmart.aspx

Is the Mobil 1 Sold in Jugs at Wal-Mart the Same Quality as the Product in Quart Bottles Sold Elsewhere?
I have a question about the 5-quart Mobil 1 jugs I buy at Walmart. Is the oil in the 5-quart Mobil 1 5W-30 jugs the exact same oil that is in the 1-quart containers sold elsewhere?

Answer:
You are right, the formulation and quality level of our motor oils are the same wherever the product name is the same, regardless of the package size in which it is sold.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
For national brand products, maybe/maybe not. A VOA of a bottle of this or that oil bought in quarts from another store versus a 5 qt bottle from wally may provide insight.
I suppose that might be proof under controlled scientific testing and conditions. I have no such concerns though, because I believe PU, PP, PYB, M1, MC5k, MC syn blend, QS HavDS, et al., all the oil products sold at Wally by the majors to be the same.

Quote:
I WOULD be very scared of their store brand stuff, as it is likely formulated to a different price point and quality than national brand stuff. You see this with anything else from plastic bags to pants to tires to whatever else, why not wally world oil?
As the OP's post addresses only the majors and only oil, not ST or any other product this point is immaterial. Wally's private label ST brand is not advertised and sold as a major the OP questioned.

Quote:
Now that said, if the majors have only two or three blending sites nationally, and say wally constitutes 30% market share and is exerting extreme price pressure, it could make sense to provide something that is "good enough" in a wally bottle that is separate. We see that for other stuff, why not oil? That said, it may then require a separate MSDS, PDS, API cert, etc. which may or may not make sense... However, the blenders surely also know how much tradespace they have. Pennzoil removes x% of sludge? Well maybe the wal mart 5qt pennzoil only removes n-5% of sludge, which they know will still be OK by API, but not at the quality point they desire. They meet price point and all is well.
If the majors Wally bottle says the same thing and same the specs as at other the stores, and I take that at face value. Thus, 'good enough' is strictly speculation, I don't think the majors would put their names on a product thats inferior to other outlets, to appease Wally.

Quote:
Who knows. Only way to determine is to run the experiment... and didnt the supertech gear oil experiment show it wasnt up to snuff?
As you've posted that point more than once on these boards, I can only assume that to be a rhetorical question. Again though, not the OP's question which relates to the majors sold at Wally. But trying to make the correlation between the Wally ST product and the the majors name brand oil sold at Wally is a huge leap.

For the doubters however, anyone willing to fund a controlled experiment to prove Wally major oil products inferior, have at it. Likely cheaper just to buy your oil elsewhere though.
56.gif

Large chain stores can indeed have the standard mixes altered of name brand products.
Things like labeled and branded Lemon Pledge at a Home Depot can be watered down or otherwise have additives reduced.

But oil? I don't think so because of potential false advertising problems, and the pain to the supplier of making different sauce just for them. Oils have their constituents/additives available.

I've heard that Wal-Mart refills their Starbucks coffee bags with cheaper Folgers. Also, they open every Hanes underwear package and replace them Sam's Choice Scratchy Skivvies.

Brand name motor oil is OK though (other than the addition of the spider eggs, of course).

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
I've heard that Wal-Mart refills their Starbucks coffee bags with cheaper Folgers. Also, they open every Hanes underwear package and replace them Sam's Choice Scratchy Skivvies.

Brand name motor oil is OK though (other than the addition of the spider eggs, of course).
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Spector
As we all know manufacturers alter their product specs in order to meet Wal-Mart mandated prices, the question is with oil, and in many cases Wal-Mart is the only outlet to carry 5 quart jugs, do the Pennzoils and Mobils of the world alter their oils for Wal-Mart sales, use fewer or less potent additives etc. Is it the same oil sold elsewhere? Is Ultra 5W30 the same oil when analyzed as that sold at Auto Zone?

Has anyone had VOA done on the same viscosity oils purchased at Wal-Mart versus say AA or another outlet?

Here ya go.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Spector
As we all know manufacturers alter their product specs in order to meet Wal-Mart mandated prices, the question is with oil, and in many cases Wal-Mart is the only outlet to carry 5 quart jugs, do the Pennzoils and Mobils of the world alter their oils for Wal-Mart sales, use fewer or less potent additives etc. Is it the same oil sold elsewhere? Is Ultra 5W30 the same oil when analyzed as that sold at Auto Zone?

Has anyone had VOA done on the same viscosity oils purchased at Wal-Mart versus say AA or another outlet?

Here ya go.

Yep,just like what Valvoline told me,the oil is the exact same,it`s just the 5 quart jugs that are Walmart exclusive. I absolutely LOVE the 5 quart Walmart jugs! 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 15W50 = $4.20 a quart vs $8.00 a quart at auto parts chains. Dino quarts at the auto parts stores are $4.25 here now :^(

Last edited:
like someone wrote months ago, wal mart doesnt know oil but they know cheap...i sell my formerly white skivs to wm and they repackage them for the discriminating consumer...they need xtra detergent if u know what i mean

However, the reply from Mobil did not answer the difference in terminology on the bottles and as always, did the customer compare apples to apples? So, when corporate profits are involved we hope they are telling us the truth but based on corporate comments on multiple subjects over the past two years maybe you can trust them, not sure I can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The greed factor is way to prevalent

Likely a good idea then that you not purchase M1, and/or purchase oil at a retailer other than Wally World. Then your concerns will be alleviated and your point moot.
56.gif

The jugs of PP I bought at Wally's all say that the oil meets GM 4718M and Acura HTO-06, which we all know are very tough specs to meet. I assume if the oil in those jugs was somehow inferior to the PP sold at VatoZone, then it would not meet those specs and Pennzoil would be guilty of false advertising.

I therefor have to conclude that it IS the same oil.

I cant believe this thread went 4 pages! Absolute silliness! This is a API certified product by part number and description.
-
-
(Shhhh ... Frog Throat spilled the beans - WM stuff has a 1/3 used fry-o-lator soy oil substitute ... Shhhhh ...!!)

Quote:
I cant believe this thread went 4 pages! Absolute silliness! This is a API certified product by part number and description....
Come now, many folks are engaged by a good conspiracy theory. You know, the grassy knoll, staged moon landing, and now, inferior name brand oil sold at Wally World.
21.gif

If you fashion yourself and wear a tin foil hat, you may be better able to understand the reasoning.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
If you fashion yourself and wear a tin foil hat, you may be better able to understand the reasoning.
I beg your pardon? I've been wearing tinfoil hats for years and I STILL don't understand squat...

Like how come when I'm driving down the highway, everyone going slower than me is a moron and everyone going faster than me is a maniac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back