VW 2.5L and 502 Approved Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw

You are right about one thing, it is choice. Toyota, regardless of Supra and some other cars, was not across the world recognized as primarily builder of sporty cars. In the end Toyota, VW, BMW are all in business of making money.
So yes, it is choice and yes, their engines are not as sophisticated, because of their choice. Toyota did sell 1.8 VVT-I engines to for example Lotus, but that is irrelevant, BMW and Mercedes are doing it and selling it to much more expensive manufacturers of exotic cars. Point is that unlike Toyota, BMW does not shy to sell twin turbo twin scroll engine in 525d that is used for taxis services for example. It is their choice that they do not do that, but that choice also means that over time, because of focusing on customer base that drive 20mph below speed limit in left lane, they have to go with BMW for new Supra, according to, well, Toyota engineers.
And all this focus on Supra, GT3000. There are numerous European cars that left far greater impact on automotive world than Supra or 3000GT, like Lancia Integrale, Audi Quattro etc. Integrale and Quattro were at it before Subaru knew what is rally championship in the first place. Putting turbo in sports cars in 80's and 90's is not Japanese specialization as one could buy in Europe far cheaper, for every day use cars with turbo like Passat's, Vectra's (actually Vectra A had an excellent engine, problem was that rest of the car was developed under watchful eye of GM accountants). Japanese manufacturers deliberately shy away from turbo downsizing that started in 1990's as they, correctly, understood that that will have an impact on reliability, but that is why today their 2.0T engine is somewhere in mediocrity of all other engines. And BMW did not enter this turbo era late. In 1997 BMW and FIAT were two companies who pushed common rail technology to masses and probably pushed VW to cheat decade later as they bet on wrong technology (PD). Going back to sophistication, next time I see taxi in Berlin that is Toyota and has three turbos and 200k on the clock, we can talk about sophistication. Yes it is choice, but every choice comes with consequences.

Funny you'd mention common rail injection, as the first mass produced vehicle it was ever used on was the Hino (a subsidiary of Toyota) Ranger, which used Denso (a subsidiary of Toyota) common rail injection.

I'm sure Dr. Shohei Itoh was secretly a German, though.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Only in Europe. Everywhere else BMWs are sold as a premium brand. Worth pointing out that until recently, Toyota also didn't have a seperate luxury brand in it's home market, either. They just sold everything as Toyotas. Even today, their top JDM model, the Century, is sold as a Toyota rather than a Lexus.

Naw, while our perception as North Americans might be that BMW is a premium brand, go look at a 318i and tell me that car is anything but low rent
lol.gif
They sold the cheap cars here (and they were cheap) but you'll often see them tarted up with M badges masquerading as something they aren't, for that same reason.

I suppose that's reasonable IF one can accept that Toyota's focus on economy cars is also a matter of choice rather than one of ability.

thumbsup2.gif

Yet, many similar cars DID end up being successful, probably because they were either better, more realistically priced or both.

Sure, and BMW has had many successful cars, this just wasn't one of them. The M5 and M3 have been successfully able to command serious money because they are excellent performers in their respective classes.

And the same point can be made about Toyota's allegedly "unsophisticated" engines. Even their regular family car engines can be, and have been, worked over and used as the heart of exotic cars.

I certainly wasn't the one claiming they were unsophisticated. As noted, my first response to you was due to the comparison you made and language used.

I mean, it was closer in size and weight to the 8 series than the 911, which is a considerably smaller car.

But I think you'll find the 911 catered to a more similar demographic. Like this review:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/mitsubishi-3000gt-vr4/

That's sort of the way the car market works. Nothing exists in a vacuum.

Yup, which is why it flopped.

The 3000GT, at least, had adjustable (which was both manually AND automatically adjusted) suspension, adjustable aerodynamics, electronic exhaust to make it louder or quieter, AWD (which was a lot more rare back then), four wheel steering (which, yes, the top model 8 series did have, but only after Mitsubishi did it), satellite navigation and a "fuzzy logic" automatic which (at least in theory) learned how you drove and adjusted shift patterns accordingly.

Mercedes started using hydropneumatic suspension in 1975 after Citreon's patent on that type of system expired. It auto adjusted to loads and varied spring rate. It was pretty neat. But something more sport-oriented, BMW's first use of adaptive suspension was in the 1980's on the M3 in the form of the "BOGE adjustable damping system". All M-cars were standard up until quite recently, so you weren't getting any sort of learning automatic
wink.gif
Navigation didn't appear on BMW's until 1994, and debuted in the 7-series. The adjustable aerodynamics aren't something BMW even presently employs, that'd be more a Porsche thing, electronic exhaust, perhaps Porsche too
21.gif
My M5 was pretty quiet, that was generally BMW's intent, even at full-song they aren't loud.

I think you're underestimating just how crazily advanced the 3000GT was. I mean, it was also an atrocious POS that constantly broke and cost a fortune to fix, but Mitsubishi absolutely swung for the fences with it. It helps that they're also a large electronics manufacturer.

They threw the kitchen sink at it feature-wise, yes. A guy I went to University with in the late 90's, his dad owned a Dodge dealership and he had the Stealth TT, which was essentially the same car. Your observations about it being expensive to own and frequently breaking are spot-on, but it was an incredibly cool car when it worked.

Originally Posted by edyvw

You are right about one thing, it is choice. Toyota, regardless of Supra and some other cars, was not across the world recognized as primarily builder of sporty cars. In the end Toyota, VW, BMW are all in business of making money.
So yes, it is choice and yes, their engines are not as sophisticated, because of their choice. Toyota did sell 1.8 VVT-I engines to for example Lotus, but that is irrelevant, BMW and Mercedes are doing it and selling it to much more expensive manufacturers of exotic cars. Point is that unlike Toyota, BMW does not shy to sell twin turbo twin scroll engine in 525d that is used for taxis services for example. It is their choice that they do not do that, but that choice also means that over time, because of focusing on customer base that drive 20mph below speed limit in left lane, they have to go with BMW for new Supra, according to, well, Toyota engineers.
And all this focus on Supra, GT3000. There are numerous European cars that left far greater impact on automotive world than Supra or 3000GT, like Lancia Integrale, Audi Quattro etc. Integrale and Quattro were at it before Subaru knew what is rally championship in the first place. Putting turbo in sports cars in 80's and 90's is not Japanese specialization as one could buy in Europe far cheaper, for every day use cars with turbo like Passat's, Vectra's (actually Vectra A had an excellent engine, problem was that rest of the car was developed under watchful eye of GM accountants). Japanese manufacturers deliberately shy away from turbo downsizing that started in 1990's as they, correctly, understood that that will have an impact on reliability, but that is why today their 2.0T engine is somewhere in mediocrity of all other engines. And BMW did not enter this turbo era late. In 1997 BMW and FIAT were two companies who pushed common rail technology to masses and probably pushed VW to cheat decade later as they bet on wrong technology (PD). Going back to sophistication, next time I see taxi in Berlin that is Toyota and has three turbos and 200k on the clock, we can talk about sophistication. Yes it is choice, but every choice comes with consequences.

Funny you'd mention common rail injection, as the first mass produced vehicle it was ever used on was the Hino (a subsidiary of Toyota) Ranger, which used Denso (a subsidiary of Toyota) common rail injection.

I'm sure Dr. Shohei Itoh was secretly a German, though.

Funny that common rail was thing that killed Toyota 1.4 D-4D engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
They didn't cheat with PD engines, they cheated with common rail engines. The PD stuff was phased out after only a few years because it wouldn't have passed emissions even with cheating (lol).

I know that. However, from beginning everyone knew that PD was horrid in emissions. While VW was pushing PD, they fell behind in CR technology. You have to understand that on diesel market in Europe, VW was absolute leader in 1990's, until CR technology creeped in. VW pushed PD which was promising from stand point of power and mpg, even with NVH issues. But emissions was something they could not properly deal with.
Once they decided to abandon PD, they were behind pretty much everyone in Europe in CR development.
They needed quick fix, and quick fix came in that software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back