VSA ever have problems with it?

Vehicle Stability Assist, that is what Honda calls it. I suppose other brands have something similar, just curious about any problems that people have had with it. I can see where it is a good thing for some people that lack handling skills, and I can see some very dangerous potential problems with it. What say you all.

Good question! (y)

Right, VSA, VSC, TC, etc. They're all similar as they use the ABS in slippery conditions or in the dry, hard cornering situations to aid the driver to keep the vehicle in control(If I am saying this correctly). It probably helps in other conditions as well that I can't think of as this time.

The only issues that I've had with these system that I am aware of is... that it kills engine power when I've been stuck in snow where I've had "inappropriate tires for the condition". And I've had turn shut off the system so I could rock the car to get myself unstuck. And I've had another issue with VSA/VSC/TC where, I have an issue with my ABS system(broken tone ring) that caused my ABS to engage all the time when slowing down. So I had to disconnect the ABS system, which rendered the VSA useless.

What other issues do you see?

Other brands call it ETC (electronic traction control), ESC (stability), TRAC, etc. Generally speaking, slip detection that applies brakes selectively and will retard throttle. The throttle retarding aspect is the worst. I have actually defeated it on one car. Call me an anti-VSC activist, Call me late for dinner, but don’t call me Shirley. ;)

I’m very opposed to it on my cars - when I’m driving - but very happy to have it in place when others are driving them. Being older-school and with a lot of driver training, I want to do the work myself and am able to. Not everyone is. Fortunately I have cars where I can defeat it, and even ABS on one vehicle.

One of my great auto-hack pleasures of the last few years was figuring out how to retro-fit a TRAC (same thing) defeat switch into the dash of my older Volvo XC, so I can selectively disable it. A really happy day. ;).

Pic below, the arrow shows what is a blank space on an early gen AWD Volvo dash. I found out, after being PO’d at throttle retardation when driving uphill in heavy snow, that I could defeat it. I scavenged this switch out of an older car and plugged it into the car harness to be able to turn the TRAC (ETC, ESC, etc) completely off and get back full control. Oh happy day.

I did a lot of miles recently with a freinds very new Subaru Outback Limited, where the electronic intervention was not switchable. There were virtues to the car, but at the end of the day I’d never own one as it was too “interventionist” and as a long-term vehicle, I could not imagine keeping all that electronic BS working once out of warranty.

This is my winter happy switch. I’m ok with leaving it enabled in summer, but come winter, I want to own it:
F89EB812-CB29-4F59-950C-34C29B2D8FE6.jpeg

Last edited:
Most modern vehicles combine traction control and stability control into 1 thing. Clicking the “traction control” button usually simply removes traction control entirely or massively changes the limit at which it’ll intervene, but leaves stability control enabled to some degree (some cars if you press and hold it or do some other process it’ll completely disable traction AND stability systems).

I’m totally fine with stability control, things happen and road conditions can vary wildly depending on weather.

Traction control though, god I hate it… the default behavior of pretty much all “normal” vehicles traction control is a massive throttle cut to reign in wheel spin. My 300 was godawful about this, slightest bit of wheel spin and it felt like it cut the throttle to what felt like 2% no matter how hard you smashed the gas. My truck is a fair bit more lenient in that it won’t just slam the throttle closed which is nice but still gets in the way sometimes.

My Subaru was frustrating because you couldn't fully defeat it without pulling a wheel speed sensor. With traction control disabled, I could spin the thing all day going in a straight line (well due to lack of traction) but the instant it detected any sort of rotation, it would shut down immediately.

The Marquis has a very basic traction control. Rust dust and clippings had collected on the rear wheel speed sensors and it would trigger traction control above 70 MPH.

On the focus and cx5 I turn off traction and stability in extreme conditions like lots of snow or icy conditions where excessive wheel spin may be the only saving grace to not get stuck but it's never fully disabled in the CX5. In the evo both were always off since traction control always ended up cutting power when I needed it and stability control would burn through pads or make the car unstable during a spirited turn.

No problems in 3 Honda however I do know the pre 2007 Acura MDX had some issues of random engagement. Please note this was Honda early installation of system.

VSA is working well for Honda in likely over millions of cars….

On the focus and cx5 I turn off traction and stability in extreme conditions like lots of snow or icy conditions where excessive wheel spin may be the only saving grace to not get stuck but it's never fully disabled in the CX5. In the evo both were always off since traction control always ended up cutting power when I needed it and stability control would burn through pads or make the car unstable during a spirited turn.
I think its working as designed in the Outback, but if I'm sliding the car on purpose, I find I can already be counter steering and then it decides to throw in some outside front brake, and cut power, which promotes a snap spin the other way if your not quick with the steering wheel...
If I'm 3hrs into a long drive in the rain or snow, I can see how it might save me, if something surprises me on the road.

Reactions: Pew
It's called Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) in bimmers. I have a button on the console to defeat the DSC at any time, except in Eco-Pro. The only time I've turned it off was a Virginia International Raceway during a HPDE. The car can get a bit squirrelly without it.

On the BMWs if you push the dsc button it doesn't cut power and will let you slide a little bit, if you hold the button it will disable everything and you can do donuts and burnouts and die

I can't speak to VSA, but how about this problem with smart vehicles.
but imagine driving the vehicle below in the picture that is equipped with adaptive cruise control
which intermittently slams on the brakes without warning.
ask my son what that is like.

1 kenworth.jpg

I think its working as designed in the Outback, but if I'm sliding the car on purpose, I find I can already be counter steering and then it decides to throw in some outside front brake, and cut power, which promotes a snap spin the other way if your not quick with the steering wheel...
If I'm 3hrs into a long drive in the rain or snow, I can see how it might save me, if something surprises me on the road.

Yea snap steer sucks. Usually not an issue with more than several inches of snow sticking to the ground but when there's dry spots and a tire suddenly gets friction and tc/sc whips the car around is what I'm trying to avoid.

My GF's 2023 Avalon tries to steer the car when you get near the yellow line. She hasn't figured out how to shut it down. First time I drove it it scared me a bit.

I can't speak to VSA, but how about this problem with smart vehicles.
but imagine driving the vehicle below in the picture that is equipped with adaptive cruise control
which intermittently slams on the brakes without warning.

ask my son what that is like.
Then it is not working correctly. It should allow a pre determined distance between it and the vehicle ahead. It then GENTLY applies the brake to keep that predetermined distance. SO-either the software or sensors are messed up-or the braking system itself.

I just traveled this afternoon from 8,000 feet down to the Salt Lake Valley through Parley's Pass-and what I described is exactly how my adaptive cruise control worked. NOW-I understand how much weight difference there is between my vehicle and the semi in question-but that shouldn't alter a properly functioning ACC system.

Last edited:
Then it is not working correctly. It should allow a pre determined distance between it and the vehicle ahead. It then GENTLY applies the brake to keep that predetermined distance. SO-either the software or sensors are messed up-or the braking system itself.

I just traveled this afternoon from 8,000 feet down to the Salt Lake Valley through Parley's Pass-and what I described is exactly how my adaptive cruise control worked. NOW-I understand how much weight difference there is between my vehicle and the semi in question-but that shouldn't alter a properly functioning ACC system.
they know it doesn't work correctly...a statement of the obvious... the fleet in mention had hundreds of these trucks... as my son said insurance companies wouldn't allow them to disconnect, the trucks were leased, so they either drove with their foot all day long or hoped the truck didn't decide it was time to slam on th brakes... so they were stuck with it as is.. My son was glad when they gave him a newer truck..

Reactions: CKN
There is a lot of confusion here about systems:
1. Traction control aids wheel spin going forward.
2. ESP (original Mercedes name) brakes rear wheel if there is lateral slide, loss of control.

It is designed for everyone, and the best also lose control. Some systems are more intrusive (Toyota) some are not (BMW).

Yes, according to my wife, the icon (along with a couple of other icons) is illuminating intermittently on the RX as of late.

Back