Volvo D5 (205bhp) Engine oil selection

Good evening,

I'm hoping someone can advise/clarify the following please?

I have a UK spec Volvo 2011 XC70 AWD D5 (205bhp) with the D5244T10 engine with 115000 miles on it.

I can see in the handbook that the recommended engine oil is 0W-30 ACEA A5/B5.

I use the car most frequently in a part of the world with fairly high ambient temperatures (40C+) and occasional trips to places with temperatures under freezing. The car works fairly hard, inclines and towing etc.

With all that in mind I am thinking I might be better using a fully synthetic 0W-40 engine oil, as specified acceptable in the handbook.

1) Are there downsides to a 0W-40 oil for this engine?
2) I cannot find anywhere a 0W-40 oil with ACEA A5/B5. I suspect this is due to a lack of understanding on my part of oil specs, can anyone shed any light on a suitable 0W-40 product?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Good evening,

I'm hoping someone can advise/clarify the following please?

I have a UK spec Volvo 2011 XC70 AWD D5 (205bhp) with the D5244T10 engine with 115000 miles on it.

I can see in the handbook that the recommended engine oil is 0W-30 ACEA A5/B5.

I use the car most frequently in a part of the world with fairly high ambient temperatures (40C+) and occasional trips to places with temperatures under freezing. The car works fairly hard, inclines and towing etc.

With all that in mind I am thinking I might be better using a fully synthetic 0W-40 engine oil, as specified acceptable in the handbook.

1) Are there downsides to a 0W-40 oil for this engine?
2) I cannot find anywhere a 0W-40 oil with ACEA A5/B5. I suspect this is due to a lack of understanding on my part of oil specs, can anyone shed any light on a suitable 0W-40 product?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The 0W40 equivalent would carry A3/B4 specs, it's a thicker oil under shear stress. I gather from your post that is actually what you want.

You could also opt for a 0W30 A3/B4 oil.

Back