Virgin Motorcraft 820 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by WellOiled
New Motorcraft FL-820S was purchased in the last quarter of 2015 and carried date code 909031527. Filter constructed on Sep 3, 2015. About 4 months old. Stored in the house not in the garage.

[Linked Image]

FL-820S-909031527 #7 uneven pleats at the splice. This shot clearly shows wide pleat spacing near the splice before installation.

[Linked Image]

FL-820S-909031527 #8 uneven pleats at the splice closeup near the dome end.

[Linked Image]

fl-820s-909031527 #9 uneven pleat spacing at splice closeup near the thread end.

[Linked Image]

FL-820S-909031527 #14 note the rust closeup. This rust also appeared on the inside of the filter on the dome end end cap. I could not get a decent photo of this due to lighting. You can also begin to the the delamination between the epoxy and the end cap because of the rust.

I don't see an improvement in pleat spacing.

Looks very much like mine
Thanks for the pics ðŸ‘

The FL-820S was my favorite filter until this occurred.

Motorcraft FL820S Date code: 904121217

[Linked Image]

Dome end tear.

[Linked Image]

Thread end tear.

Application: 2004 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6 using Mobile M1 5W30 oil.

The problem could be fixed if Motorcraft caused Purolator to use better media. So far, I have not seen any evidence.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
It's not the paper. It's when you change that paper.

Absolutely. I haven't actually run a synthetic filter yet. It's not that I wouldn't or can't, but for some applications, the cost difference is really out there. The Wix 51515 for the F-150 is $4.99. Fram Ultras are around $14 in Canada, and the competition is higher. A $9 premium on a filter is a bit much. I can get Baldwins for the G37 for under $5, so we have the same thing.

The bizarre thing is that NAPA Canada (which is fairly expensive at the best of times and really hides their filter specials) sells the Platinum for my G37 cheaper than the Gold. The ordinary Wix I get at a reasonable price for the G37, but more than the Baldwin, but still under $10.

Part of the problem is Canadian Tire is one of the easiest places to find a good selection of Fram Ultras. All of their filter pricing is out to lunch though; it's no just Ultras.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
It's not the paper. It's when you change that paper.

Absolutely. I haven't actually run a synthetic filter yet. It's not that I wouldn't or can't, but for some applications, the cost difference is really out there. The Wix 51515 for the F-150 is $4.99. Fram Ultras are around $14 in Canada, and the competition is higher. A $9 premium on a filter is a bit much. I can get Baldwins for the G37 for under $5, so we have the same thing.

The bizarre thing is that NAPA Canada (which is fairly expensive at the best of times and really hides their filter specials) sells the Platinum for my G37 cheaper than the Gold. The ordinary Wix I get at a reasonable price for the G37, but more than the Baldwin, but still under $10.

Part of the problem is Canadian Tire is one of the easiest places to find a good selection of Fram Ultras. All of their filter pricing is out to lunch though; it's no just Ultras.

Good point. So how long do you run your paper filters? Distance and time?

The FL-820S was my favorite filter until this occurred.

Motorcraft FL820S Date code: 904121217

[Linked Image]

Dome end tear.

[Linked Image]

Thread end tear.

Application: 2004 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6 using Mobile M1 5W30 oil.

The problem could be fixed if Motorcraft caused Purolator to use better media. So far, I have not seen any evidence.

Are sure Purolator is still making MC filters ?
Where does Mann-Hummel come into play here ?

Purolator makes Motorcraft filters.

Mann-Hummel owns Purolator.

So, do you think it's an old Purolator issue or
Something that came with Mann-Hummel buying Purolator ?

I ask because I just posted a Purolator One filter that's the match of the 820
It's a well made filter with no issues after 6,000 miles

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150

I'm not sure when M-H bought Purolator but it was in this time frame. Many believe that M-H started cost cutting measures and that is when BITOG users started to see issues with Purolator P1 and Classic filters. There were some MC tear failures too. It is clear the M-H - Purolator chain has not acknowledged this problem nor have they tried to fix it in a way that we can see. Purolator did change the paint scheme and packaging. Classic is now red and the Pure One is now blue. Motorcraft uses the USCAR-36 specs for aftermarket filters. So unless Purolator actually does something substantively to the filter element, the quality and reliability will remain suspect. With respect to your Pure One anecdote, I would like to see another 99 just to be sure.
04.gif

I'm not sure when M-H bought Purolator but it was in this time frame. Many believe that M-H started cost cutting measures and that is when BITOG users started to see issues with Purolator P1 and Classic filters. There were some MC tear failures too. It is clear the M-H - Purolator chain has not acknowledged this problem nor have they tried to fix it in a way that we can see. Purolator did change the paint scheme and packaging. Classic is now red and the Pure One is now blue. Motorcraft uses the USCAR-36 specs for aftermarket filters. So unless Purolator actually does something substantively to the filter element, the quality and reliability will remain suspect. With respect to your Pure One anecdote, I would like to see another 99 just to be sure.
04.gif

Point we'll taken ðŸ‘
I'm running a Ford Racing 820 right now but it's gonna be awhile before I remove it, so we shall see

Mann-Hummel partnered with Bosch (50/50) to buy Purolator in 2006. They took total ownership in 2012.

Want to take a guess when the tearing started?
Just take a look at the date code on the filter WellOiled posted.

The Ford 820 racing filter is good. I have not heard any complaints on it other than price and availability.

It's pricey
I paid $15 bucks for it
But
I'm planing on a two cycle oil change to see if it holds out
So time will tell

I use motorcraft FL820 on my 600+ whp cobra . So it should be plenty for all y'all grocery getter , soccer mom mini van .

I am the second owner . The first owner running exclusively motorcraft fl820s with Mobil 1 oil for 37,000 miles , until I bought it . So I'm running the same combo .

Also plenty of cobra guys running Motorcraft FL820s on high hp twin turbo 900+ whp or stock , or collector.

There is 03 cobra just turn 400,000 miles last week ( I post and update his miles on his thread often ) , he use nothing but motorcraft FL820s And motorcraft syn blend 5w30.

99% of mustang foxbody I seen in real life or on YouTube running motorcraft FL-1A ( I hope they never discontinue this filter , some time I feel this filter should be cost more )

Running motorcraft with confident if you own a ford . Can't beat OEM filter with metal end cap with silicone ADBV for under 4 buck.

It's perfect for 5k or 6 month oil change . Just don't take it to 7k-10k miles . Use it for what it design for handle.

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
I use motorcraft FL820 on my 600+ whp cobra . So it should be plenty for all y'all grocery getter , soccer mom mini van .

I am the second owner . The first owner running exclusively motorcraft fl820s with Mobil 1 oil for 37,000 miles , until I bought it . So I'm running the same combo .

Also plenty of cobra guys running Motorcraft FL820s on high hp twin turbo 900+ whp or stock , or collector.

There is 03 cobra just turn 400,000 miles last week ( I post and update his miles on his thread often ) , he use nothing but motorcraft FL820s And motorcraft syn blend 5w30.

99% of mustang foxbody I seen in real life or on YouTube running motorcraft FL-1A ( I hope they never discontinue this filter , some time I feel this filter should be cost more )

Running motorcraft with confident if you own a ford . Can't beat OEM filter with metal end cap with silicone ADBV for under 4 buck.

It's perfect for 5k or 6 month oil change . Just don't take it to 7k-10k miles . Use it for what it design for handle.

With a 600hp motor and buddy's running 900hp engines
Why would you run a $4 dollar oil filter ?????
with the issues of some of the 820's we've seen
Why would you run a filter that has so called problems ???

Generally speaking, distance from OEM severe service intervals to over double the severe service length. Time historically has been very short (taxis would get an oil change roughly monthly, sometimes even more often) to going a couple years on them. I don't worry a huge amount about time unless it's a bunch of short tripping in the very cold, and even then, any filter that is properly constructed (unlike some of the examples we've seen here) should be able to handle the full non-severe service interval of any vehicle for which they're specified.

I never have problem with motorcraft oil filter. It serve me well, so im continue stick with it. Keep it simple.

Originally Posted by Garak

Generally speaking, distance from OEM severe service intervals to over double the severe service length. Time historically has been very short (taxis would get an oil change roughly monthly, sometimes even more often) to going a couple years on them. I don't worry a huge amount about time unless it's a bunch of short tripping in the very cold, and even then, any filter that is properly constructed (unlike some of the examples we've seen here) should be able to handle the full non-severe service interval of any vehicle for which they're specified.

Thanks.

Installed at the factory. Used for service by dealerships.

I bought a case back about 10 years ago, and I still have 6 left.

Of course there are better filters. Nobody would go out on a limb to say that Ford Motorcraft are the best.

I never have problem with motorcraft oil filter. It serve me well, so im continue stick with it. Keep it simple.

I totally understand ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘
Don't fix what ain't broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back