Vinyl Siding Problem from Get Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
frown.gif
A little venting and then I'm moving on. Three year old home built by contractor that we vetted. One piece of vinyl siding under garage window came loose within days of installation. Reinstalled using silicone sealer. Piece came off less than a week later. Contractor didn't bother to inspect why that one piece kept coming off and just crammed it back up in the trim piece.Three more attempts over next three years. Piece came off in very high winds around Christmas time. The loose piece was damaged and I had to cut it off with aviation snips to keep it from banging. Two calls to contractor with no reply. It was warm here last week(70F), and I took a closer look to see why that one piece of siding kept coming off. Contractor's help used a utility trim channel under the trim channel but that piece of siding didn't have a chance of staying locked in place. The horizontal cut for the window opening should have been made with the use of a straight edge and a utility knife so that snap lock lugs would be properly located so that all engaged the utility channel. That cut was ragged and varied over 5/8" over a span of 98" and the snap lock lugs were barely 1/32" high. More of an upset than an actual punched out tab. Should be about 1/8 to 3/16" to engage utility channel. No evidence of cut lines. Just hacked it out free hand.. And even worse, there was an overlap under the window. Just absolutely astonishing that a contractor who uses "siding" on his business card would fail to see why that piece kept coming off.Contractor has evidently decided it's my problem now. I'm going to make the repair myself if I can find a way to purchase replacement pieces from vendor who sells that particular brand of siding wholesale only. I've got the tools to do the job, know how to do the job and expect that piece of siding will stay in place. The out-of- pocket cost isn't going to be enough to try to collect in small claims court so I'm going to chock it up to "that's the way things are." What's hard for me to understand is that the contractor did some very good work building the house but just didn't give a big rat's @** about that piece of siding.He is a BBB member so I am considering going that route. Doubt it will help as BBB seems to be a good ol' boys club. Time to stop yammering and perform my official funtion as chief cat box attendant. The pick and pitch is hard to screw up, but I bet that hand that installed that piece of siding could find a way Regards

Can you post some photos.

Yes, it can be very frustrating dealing with bad contractors hiring people with zero pride in their quality of work.

Don't ask the builder to replace the siding. Ask him to give you the siding you need even pay a nominal price for it. That way, you can do it right yourself. I have a working knowledge of shingles and clap boards and rudimentary flashing. Lead the water off and out.

Thanks. That has occurred to me and I hope I can finally find him in his office or out on the job.I have cut some small pieces from the piece of siding that came off and hope to show him just how *^$##@&*^ the installation was. Doubt of he will care. He doesn't listen well and the mistakes that were pointed out to him were just received with a shrug with no explanation. How do you explain this. Had a very good Schlage front door lock set left over from home we built 17 years ago in another town. I had it because contractor that built that house didn't bother to check center lines for that lock set and ThermaTrue door came in prepped wrong.He knew we were using that particular lockset, knew it require special prep and #@%^*$# it up. Things is 2013 were going to be different. Verbally told contractor at first meeting that I had the Schlage lockset for new front door and it required special center lines. About two months into building current house, I delivered lock set to contractor in his office and again told him it required special prep. That lock set sat on the floor right in front of his desk for thre *&^%$*#@e months and guess what? $2500 ThermaTrue door came in drilled for locksets one would purchase at Lowes or HomeDepot. He just shrugged and told me to pick one out at Menards and charge it to his account. Just a shrug over a mistake he made because he didn't listen after being told repeatedly that door required special centerline drilling. Gave a very good Schlage lockset to GoodWill.Hope someone enjoys it.My mental health tune up for today. A little venting goes along way when one is 80 and can't do much else

Hey at least you have an outlet to vent and get it out of your system. Keeping [censored] inside will do you no good. Remedy the problem and move on. Life is too short to keep all frustrations

Right again sir. I'm 80 with severely damaged nerves from a sever shingle attacked that almost killed me.I'll have to take hydrocodone just to get out there and do that siding job, but I'm going to do it. If it still comes off, it's shame on me this time. Regards to you sir.

BBB is not a boyz club from my experiences. Once I've had to escalate to BBB with major dealers, they have provided at least a reasonable resolution before BBB closes the case. Last time I did it was with a new car dealer who wouldn't give me a $500 deposit back on a lemon that didn't work out. They wouldn't reply to my calls until BBB got involved. And that record stays there forever. Nothing to lose imo.

The first time this siding came loose, I'd have gotten involved finding the root cause. And after the 2nd time only a week later, I'd have demanded a reason why it came loose and something in writing that would guarantee the "fix" for years. 5 attempts after 5 years? That's just insane.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
DENSO makes vinyl siding? That's good to know. Thanks

I was just surprised you hadn't thought along those lines since your usual answer to all questions is "Denso."

LOL. I like you, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back