Vintage chainsaw chain not turning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a vintage Remington Mighty Mite chainsaw which I'm trying to restore I was wondering whether it was normal or not for the chain to not be spinning or unable to move while the chainsaw is not running I'm worried that it seized up I've applied WD-40 on it and hoping that once and if I get it going and hit the throttle that it will begin to spin. Thank you very much

No I have not but I will do that thank you, also wondering if you could use transmission fluid as bar oil? Crazy thought I know 🤔

For a start take off the bar and chain. Generally, there is a nut holding the clutch drum. On my Stihl, it is a left hand thread. If the engine turns over, remove the plug , and run some clothes line into the hole. Turn the crank over and the piston will jam on the rope. Known as the rope trick. Please keep us updated on your progress.
grin2.gif

Hi,
Thanks .I removed the bar and I believe I found the issue the tip of the bar and chain has rusted together I freed it, probably never saw any oil in many many ...so many years
eek.gif
I will use my Dremel tool to clean things up,maybe spray some wd4o in the groove;use grease or anti seize compound. Thank you all

I use any odd left over oil on my little manual oiling 14" Poulan corded. Currently working on a 40 yr old Amalie qt for the Stihl.

I been building and tuning chain saws for over 40 years. Best not to open up that bar too much. Usually light oil and some emery cloth folded over and pulled through the slot is good enough. Soak the chain in a can of gear oil for a few days and work the links a bit.

You can use ATF for bar oil for winter work (cold weather). But better to use thicker high-tack oil for summer. Can't remember how the oil pump on that saw is arranged, but there are plenty folks you can ask
smile.gif

Try Arboristsite.com in the chainsaw section. Search works OK over there. Many knowledgeable folks and some who have been into one of those recently
smile.gif

I really doubt that it has a sprocket tip bar. Those are a recent feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back