VIAIR Portable air pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for a high quality, high capacity portable air pump for tire inflation. I need it for inflating truck tires up to 80PSI. I frequently lower my tire pressure for traction and I want something that can pump from 5 to 35PSI fairly fast. I have heard that VIAIR makes the best portable air pumps.

My question is, does anyone on BITOG have any experience with these tire pumps and what are your opinions as per quality/reliability. I am curious where they are made (I prefer American made). If anyone has other quality high capacity tire pumps they can recommend I would appreciate, thanks in advance for input.

What's the amps draw on that VIAIR? Seems anything over 20 and you'd want to hard wire it, and not use the cigar lighter.

I've seen jeep guys rig belt-driven compressors right off the engine. That would seem to be the way to go whole hog.

Sounds like a pain to me. I like a portable bike pump. Of course filling off road type LT tires does take a lot of pumping
smile.gif

They look like a neat system and not to complicated. You place it on the ground at the front of your vehicle, attach two alligator clamps to your battery and use a 25ft air hose to reach your tires. The pump stays running while you go from tire to tire.

Last edited:
VAir is a great brand.I have one (smaller).You need to have the vehicle running though.Seems to take a lot of power.

I have the exact same 88P Viair compressor. It is awesome. Runs quiet and pumps up a tire fast. It appears well made and is really not bulky.

I went ahead and ordered a VIAIR 440P pump and a VIAIR rapid air down tool, the pump can apparently fill a 37" by 12.5" tire from 5 to 35PSI in 5 minutes so its got more than enough power. It's the exact model shown in the picture above, thanks yall.

Hope it is ok to post links?

Check out this site....this guy has made a pretty good chart for quick Reference for Air Compressors....

https://www.trainhornforums.com/showthread.php?t=6219

I am going to be adding onboard air to my truck soon. I want a setup I can use to quickly fill tires,use air tools,blow out the cab interior,train horns,etc...just a good all purpose setup that doesn't have a super long refill time.

I don't have room for a EDC (engine driven compressor) so have narrowed
down my search for a compressor to mount under the truck to a Air Zenith OB2...I'll be using at least a 5 gallon tank.

http://m.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/69A4912A0A0.aspx

I had also been looking at the Puma compressor and divorcing the motor/pump so I could use a bigger tank setup.

If you have the room and don't have a need for a bigger tank this should fit your need nicely and gets good reviews on off-road/wheeling sites....pretty good price to. Also more portable then a hardwired setup if you use quick-release connectors.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/280790586347?actionName=VIDESC

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back