Vehicle warranty - lifetime

Originally Posted by Amkeer
The extended warranties are NOT CONTINGENT on you getting service on your vehicle from the dealer. Someone just made that up and its not true. I have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty on my 2008, 2014 and now my 2020 Camry. They were added as a perk to buy the vehicle. The warranty has a $100 deductible and can be serviced at any Toyota Dealer or authorized facility.

Wrong. Almost every single one around here I've seen that's a dealership lifetime warranty all maintenance has to be done at that dealer.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
The extended warranties are NOT CONTINGENT on you getting service on your vehicle from the dealer. Someone just made that up and its not true. I have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty on my 2008, 2014 and now my 2020 Camry. They were added as a perk to buy the vehicle. The warranty has a $100 deductible and can be serviced at any Toyota Dealer or authorized facility.

Wrong. Almost every single one around here I've seen that's a dealership lifetime warranty all maintenance has to be done at that dealer.

Yep. Place we bought the Caliber from offered that, required that they do all maintenance, including oil changes. Promptly voided that warranty
lol.gif

Tires for life was another one I used to see, again all maintenance had to be done at the dealer and usually they elaborate on what needs to be done as well.

Not mine. Not on either of my FCA lifetime warranties. I never had any maintenance done at my dealership and they have taken care of me every time. The Jk's lifetime warranty is not transferrable. Not sure about the JL's warranty. It doesn't matter, to me, though. I won't be selling either of them.

Last edited:

Do you have a source to validate this dubious at best claim because simply it's legally not enforceable and the following examples contradict your statement. All the examples clearly state only factory recommended maintenance outlined is required and state the maintenance does not have to be at the dealership only records must be maintained.

https://www.chevroletbuickgmcofmurfreesboro.com/lifetime-warranty.html

https://www.johnsoncityford.com/lifetime-warranty.html

https://www.fivestarfordga.com/Five-Star-Exclusive-Lifetime-Warranty.html

You can't place a tie in claim for a warranty as it is illegal. That is like a manufacturer telling you that you must use their lubricant or warranty is voided.

The extended warranty/lifetime warranty providers usually find a way to not pay for anything. As stated above, they often don't cover normal wear and tear so it will be hard arguing with them what is normal wear and tear and what is a catastrophic failure.

Dodge had the unlimited mileage powertrain warranty back around 07-09, somewhere in those range of dates. I've heard FCA still honors the warranty and I've heard good things about it. Have to take your vehicle in yearly for an inspection that's about all I know.

Originally Posted by buddylpal
The extended warranty/lifetime warranty providers usually find a way to not pay for anything. As stated above, they often don't cover normal wear and tear so it will be hard arguing with them what is normal wear and tear and what is a catastrophic failure.

Dodge had the unlimited mileage powertrain warranty back around 07-09, somewhere in those range of dates. I've heard FCA still honors the warranty and I've heard good things about it. Have to take your vehicle in yearly for an inspection that's about all I know.

They used to offer a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty until late 2017 or 2018 through Mopar. Now it's 7 years unlimited mileage or 8 yeas 125k. Most dealers push third party warranties I've noticed though.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

They used to offer a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty until late 2017 or 2018 through Mopar. Now it's 7 years unlimited mileage or 8 yeas 125k. Most dealers push third party warranties I've noticed though.

Okay.

I hope everyone here realizes that eventually FCA, or whoever your lifetime warranty is through, will eventually just write you a check instead of fixing your car. If your car is only worth $4,000 (Very optimistic) with 200,000 miles and the cost to replace an engine or tranny or whatever else these lifetime warranties cover, costs more than your vehicles value they are just going to write you a check since it's cheaper than fixing your car.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Okay.

I hope everyone here realizes that eventually FCA, or whoever your lifetime warranty is through, will eventually just write you a check instead of fixing your car. If your car is only worth $4,000 (Very optimistic) with 200,000 miles and the cost to replace an engine or tranny or whatever else these lifetime warranties cover, costs more than your vehicles value they are just going to write you a check since it's cheaper than fixing your car.

Sounds like a great deal! They fix your vehicle under MaxCare warranty for many miles. You figure you got your money's worth, right? Now your trans dies, it costs them $4000 to fix it. But your vehicle is worth $2500. So FCA cuts you a check for $2500, correct? You can keep the car, but its now your problem.

But the warranty had a MSRP of $4000, though you only paid $2500 because you know how to shop around. The warranty was ALL OVER the internet for under $2500. Mopar Maxcare lifetime warranty.

Even if you paid more than $2500, you most likely saved $$$ as long as you keep your car until its end of useful service.

there is a sleazy Toyota dealer here that all new cars come with a lifetime warranty but he adds 3000$ to the sticker. you cannot buy unless you pay the upcharge for the warranty. on a Toyota ! which will never need it. plus you have to get your new lifetime warranty Toyota serviced at his dealership for its life or void the warranty. we walked out . plus this [censored] dealer spotted our neighbor a Avalon over the weekend to think about it. Monday came and they would not take the car back.

Back