Vehicle Sighting - 1970 Chrysler Newport convertible

From not too far away, I thought this was an Imperial.
20230714_150316~3.jpg

20230714_150304~2.jpg

20230714_150335~2.jpg

20230714_150344~3.jpg

The whale Chryslers ('69 through about '72 or '73, and of course the corresponding Plymouths, Dodges, and Imperials) are strangely likeable. I can't explain why.

Interesting that it has regular (rather than collector) plates.

Would have loved to peek under the hood.

Attachments

• 20230714_150335~2.jpg
    20230714_150335~2.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 6
Love it... Can't afford to feed it.
I had a '69 Imperial for about three years. (Not my choice of car, but it was a gift I felt obligated to accept.) It could hit 15 l/100 km (19 mpg Imperial) when driven very conservatively (90 kph/55 mph on the open road) but was atrocious in town, especially in the winter - often as bad as 40+ l/100 (6 - 7 mpg Imperial).

I learned to drive on a 73 New Yorker which later became my car, 75 Imperial , and 77 dodge royal monaco wagon,
Talk about land barges.
I swear to god i could see the gas gauge move when you were getting on it.
The New Yorker could cruise at 80 all day and never break a sweat and all my buddies loved the back seat it was the car of choice on party nights.
Man if that car could talk !

I learned to drive on a 73 New Yorker which later became my car, 75 Imperial , and 77 dodge royal monaco wagon,
Talk about land barges.
I swear to god i could see the gas gauge move when you were getting on it.
The New Yorker could cruise at 80 all day and never break a sweat and all my buddies loved the back seat it was the car of choice on party nights.
Man if that car could talk !
Dad's last car was a '75 Dodge Royal Monaco. Very nice car.

From 1955 to 1970 the Imperial was it's own separate brand and did not display any Chrysler logos on the outside of the cars.
I had this one pegged as an Imperial, and was surprised and a bit disappointed as the scripty writing resolved into "Chrysler" instead of "Imperial".

I had this one pegged as an Imperial, and was surprised and a bit disappointed as the scripty writing resolved into "Chrysler" instead of "Imperial".
From 1969-on Imperial did not have a convertible. At that point Imperial began to share some of its body shell with the Chrysler New Yorker for the first time. The 1968 and earlier Imperial convertibles are rare cars, especially the 1966 and earlier cars that were still body-on-frame.

From 1969-on Imperial did not have a convertible. At that point Imperial began to share some of its body shell with the Chrysler New Yorker for the first time. The 1968 and earlier Imperial convertibles are rare cars, especially the 1966 and earlier cars that were still body-on-frame.
That may be why I always think of the whale Imperials as 4-door hardtops.

You could make 4 Hyundai or Toyotas out of that thing.....
You're not far off ... my '69 Imperial weighed 2222 kg if I recall correctly - pretty much 5000#.

That would have been three Toyotas or Datsuns of that vintage.

Mind you, the 440 guzzled as much gas as four Toyotas.

Reactions: CKN
A 1966 Chrysler Newport was my first car. I grew up next to a proficient and monied Mopar guy. It's hard to describe..... Ahhhh,,,,the cars I didn't buy.

What I learned working on the 383 made me a welcome guest in many driveways.

Oh God, I saw a 'sneak peak' of that Chrysler in Lime Green......in a magazine.......so long ago.......I must sit.....

Back