VEGEMITE: very tasty

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Does Vegemite rhyme with Yosemite?

Yes, assuming I'm saying Yosemite correctly.

"Mite" homophone with "Might" as in "I might go to the shops"

"Vege" as in vegetarian.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Does Vegemite rhyme with Yosemite?

Not unless you pronounce Yosemite as Yo-See-Might (which I did the first time I visited the States as a kid and nearly got laughed out of the bus).

They are making Vegemite and Marmite icecream now. No matter how much I love Vegemite, I'm not going there.

Got it once and probably never again. Was on vacation in Australia and had breakfast with toast. They had butter and various jams in single serving packets, as well as Vegemite. Server could tell I was American and said "Makes you strong!" I asked where to get more just to see if it would grow on me and he gave me a few more of those single serve packets. Looks like Kraft calls them "Happy Little Portions".

fb631bcaef8190f4fce37ed10a6e5a73.jpg

When I got back to the United States and was declaring stuff that we got, they asked if we had any food. We actually had some fresh seafood but for some reason it we didn't get a plastic bag for it, but that was actually fine. Then I said I had "yeast extract". The customs officer was kind of confused until I pulled out the Vegemite. "Oh - Vegemite. That's OK." We just came in from Auckland, so that wouldn't seem all that unusual.

I need a Yank to tell me what this stuff tastes like. I've always been curious about it, but have never come across any.
I'd describe it and Marmite as an acquired taste.....

I have a limited desire for them, but sometimes you do get a craving. I may have to try it w/ a grilled cheese as someone mentioned.

I very little goes a LONG way.

I'd describe it and Marmite as an acquired taste.....

I have a limited desire for them, but sometimes you do get a craving. I may have to try it w/ a grilled cheese as someone mentioned.

I very little goes a LONG way.
Currently there are Marmite (maybe Vegemite too) shortages that began because of the pandemic.

Before this, I had a "Marmite Buttercream Cake" made and sent to my parents who always had it in the house growing up (father loved it, mom was so/so on it).
After that cake my mom was also a Marmite lover.

I also tried making the recipe and everyone who either didn't know what Marmite was, or disliked it (my spouse included), suddenly had a newfound desire for it (the cake at least).

Oh, and just so you know, the Marmite (tablespoon of it) is only in the icing.
The cake is a regular coffee, chocolate cake.

All I can say is, "whoops, I forgot to try some whilst in Australia". It just slipped my mind.

When I was younger, a girl in a youth hostel was eating some. Others were kidding her childishly so I kept my distance.
The look of it dovetailed perfectly with my assumption of the absolute need for extreme food preservation techniques in "old Australia".
I've seen it since -a bunch of times- for sale but didn't want to have to buy a whole jar. That's thrift, not cheapness.

Now, if you want a real different international experience, go to Sweden and try Mezmuer....it's a pale blue, gritty, odd tasting slag which settles to the bottom of some tank somewhere in the dairy industry; the cheese division, I believe. It's from another planet.
The old Swede's said, "You have peanut butter, we have Mezmuer".
Go to a grocery store in Sweden and you'll find 4, often more, peanut butters to choose from and one Mezmuer selection.

Looking at post #48 above made me wonder if the back of that packet doesn't say, "Processed in machinery which also packages dielectric grease and Syl-Glide".

Vegemite has umami, a savory, meatlike flavor mostly present in fermented foods, meat and fish, broth, ramen, mushrooms, food tomatoes and aged cheese. People raised on a mostly Western diet tend to only recognize four flavors: sweet, salty, bitter, and sour. Umami, the fifth flavor we can taste, is the taste of broken-down protein, aka glutamate. MSG is the synthesized version of umami and the food additive everyone knows from American Chinese food. Everyone can learn to recognize and appreciate umami. Admittedly, Vegemite and similar yeast-based products have a lot of umami.

Vegemite has umami, a savory, meatlike flavor mostly present in fermented foods, meat and fish, broth, ramen, mushrooms, food tomatoes and aged cheese. People raised on a mostly Western diet tend to only recognize four flavors: sweet, salty, bitter, and sour. Umami, the fifth flavor we can taste, is the taste of broken-down protein, aka glutamate. MSG is the synthesized version of umami and the food additive everyone knows from American Chinese food. Everyone can learn to recognize and appreciate umami. Admittedly, Vegemite and similar yeast-based products have a lot of umami.

Soy sauce is a prime example. Also check for any labels that indicate "hydrolyzed protein". Yeast extracts like Marmite or Vegemite are just hydrolyzed protein.

My brother who lives in NZ brings me some Sanitarium Marmite when he comes back in France and i much prefer it over the traditional Marmite from UK available at every store. How does Vegemite compare?

Soy sauce is a prime example. Also check for any labels that indicate "hydrolyzed protein". Yeast extracts like Marmite or Vegemite are just hydrolyzed protein.
Yes, of course, soy sauce. Vegemite is made from autolyzed brewer's yeast. But that's splitting hairs. The end result is the same.

Back