VEGEMITE: very tasty

Originally Posted By: peejaycruiser
Originally Posted By: StevieC
No thanks and I'm 1/2 English background.

It's a no from me too. Hate the stuff, much prefer Marmite.

01.gif

car51, thank you for posting the "Nutrition Information" label photo. Could you check the ingredients too? I've seen some of these that have some synthetic vitamin B varieties (niacin, thamine, riboflavin, folic acid) added to artificially boost the vitamin content, the yeast does not naturally that high concentration of vitamin B.
61aphHyXTFL.jpg

That added riboflavin will make your pee yellow.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Thank you QP. Your photo confirms that Vegemite has added niacin, thamine, riboflavin, folic acid. The natural concentration of these vitamins in yeast extract may not be high enough to be significant in a 5 gram serving.

IndyFan, you can buy Vegemite on line, Amazon has it for example:
https://smile.amazon.com/Vegemite-Bcool-burn-00396-220-gram/dp/B004AVEW8G

My bottle is same as QuattroPete's

Thank you QP. Your photo confirms that Vegemite has added niacin, thamine, riboflavin, folic acid. The natural concentration of these vitamins in yeast extract may not be high enough to be significant in a 5 gram serving.

Thanks! I'm going to check it out! What does it taste like?

Originally Posted By: IndyFan

Thanks! I'm going to check it out! What does it taste like?

It tastes like nothing else I've ever had, so it's difficult to compare it to anything. You'll just have to try it.
smile.gif

Reactions: SR5
When I visited OZ in the mid '90s, I HAD to try Vegemite, being one of the quintessential Australian foods. Was disappointed that I didn't like it, as I really wanted to.

Same thing with anchovies.

I discovered recently that a Central Mrkt carried both Veg & Mar. However, both are more than $1/oz.!! >$8 for a small jar? Didn't realize that stuff was so expensive.

For now, I'll pass.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I discovered recently that a Central Mrkt carried both Veg & Mar. However, both are more than $1/oz.!! >$8 for a small jar? Didn't realize that stuff was so expensive.

For now, I'll pass.

That is normal price for Vegemite in the US, AFAIK. However, this is not something you will be eating in the same quantities as peant butter and jelly. A little goes a long way. That little 8 oz jar lasts me a year.

g'dye moits

I have always wanted to try Vegemite, but I can't exactly find it in a local grocery store, and I can't quite stomach $9 for a 220-gram jar on Amazon. Maybe I will just have to take a little trip.

I need a Yank to tell me what this stuff tastes like. I've always been curious about it, but have never come across any.

Try this thread
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4227797/1

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
The stuff looks and has the consistency of roofing tar. I really like salt but when I first tried Vegemite I thought it was very salty. The next day I tried some again and it tasted a little better. The next day I tried some and it tasted pretty good. The fourth day I ate some and decided it was the most delicious stuff I had ever tasted. I've been in love with it ever since and eat as much as I can afford.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Just my opinion but it is something you need to be brought up on to like barring the rare exception. Man, it about made me hurl when I tried it( on buttered white toast ). One bite was all I could do. I tried to do my best Andrew Zimmern Bizarre Foods two bite impersonation but couldn't get the 2nd bite past my lips.

Salty is an understatement and I actually love salty stuff. It was so salty it was inedible. The actual taste of it besides the salt was not pleasing either to me. Don't even want to discuss the smell for fear of inducing a flash back and triggering my PTVD( Post Traumatic Vegemite Disorder ). Couldn't shake the taste of it even with various liquids either. Had to brush my teeth and rinse with Scope to banish that foul stuff from my palette. YUCK!

With that said I defend other's right to eat it and like it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: sleddriver

For now, I'll pass.

That is normal price for Vegemite in the US, AFAIK. However, this is not something you will be eating in the same quantities as peant butter and jelly. A little goes a long way. That little 8 oz jar lasts me a year.
It's even high on amazon...geesh.
Oh well....

20 years ago, we used to prank people by putting Vegemite under their car door handles...they go to open...feel...look...at their fingers and then cautiously smell.....The look on their face translated to seeing and smelling something that was the opposite of very tasty.

I have tried eating a bit of it.....I suppose it is an acquired taste.

Last edited:
Not sure why, but this stuff reminds me of a bean juice drink I tried while in Eastern Europe. Pretty disgusting stuff really.

But if you guys say it's good, I'll try some next chance I get.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
But if you guys say it's good, I'll try some next chance I get.

Some love it, some hate it. Be sure to let us know which group you fall into.
smile.gif

I need a Yank to tell me what this stuff tastes like. I've always been curious about it, but have never come across any.

Back