Valvoline VPS 10W-40, 10000kms, 2006 Toyota Yaris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2006 Toyota Yaris (1.5L)

Klms: 50000km

Oil: Valvoline VPS (Valvoline Professional Series) 10W-40 is a workshop oil used by my mechanic.

I emailed Valvoline Australia and they told me it's the same as Valvoline Engine Armour 10W-40.

Klms on Oil: 10000km

Not quite sure what to make of these results. I have changed the oil (now using Penrite Diesel FX) and filter and will be doing another UOA in 10000km. I don't have a trend at this stage. Comments?

Quote:
Vehicle: 2006 Toyota Yaris (1.5L)

Klms: 50000km

Oil: Valvoline Professional Series (VPS) - Workshop Oil (same as Valvoline Engine Armor 10W-40)

Grade: 10W-40

Klms: 10000

Cadmium 0
Antimony 0
Iron 5
Chromium 0
Copper 0
Lead 0
Aliminium 5
Tin 0
Silicon 28
Sodium 53
Calcium 2557
Nickel 0
Vanadium 0
Magnesium 11
Phosphorous 994
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Molybdenum 159
Zinc 1095
Barium 1
Potassium 1
Boron 3
Oxidation 10
Nitration 12
ViscosityAt100 11.8
Water 0.1
FTIRSoot TBN 3.52
FuelDilution 5.6

Laboratory Comments:

Dean,
Check for source of FUEL LEAK (injectors, lines etc:). Fuel is at a SIGNIFICANT LEVEL; LUBRICANT and FILTER CHANGE is suggested if

not done at sampling time. Water is at a MINOR LEVEL. Viscosity result is invalid due to water contamination. Abrasives

(silicon/dirt) are at a MINOR LEVEL; Base Number is SLIGHTLY LOW.

Oil analysis performed by Roktex.

Wow, crazy fuel dilution....glad you had a thicker oil in there to help combat that. If you can get that issue fixed is there any way to switch to a thinner oil, I bet you would get better MPG's at least.

Originally Posted By: cchase
What is your sampling procedure? Drive before oil change?

Yes. I do a 10-15 min drive which includes stop/start and freeway driving.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I just dont see how there could be so much fuel with wear readings that low. I would be inclined to think the lab made a mistake.

It wouldn't be the first time. I have contacted them before about making a mistake in the past, but they assured me they didn't.

Maybe I did something wrong taking the sample? I'm not sure.

Originally Posted By: suzukiguy1978

Maybe I did something wrong taking the sample? I'm not sure.

If the car had been idling for an extended period just before you sampled, that might show higher fuel %.

Is 10w40 spec'd for that motor down there? Seems awfully thick for that application.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Wow, crazy fuel dilution....glad you had a thicker oil in there to help combat that. If you can get that issue fixed is there any way to switch to a thinner oil, I bet you would get better MPG's at least.

I doubt it. I'm sure it will burn slightly less fuel due to parasitic loss however in the real world I doubt and fuel consumption change would be measurable.
OP. What kind of use does the vehicle see. Is it lots of city miles or do you get it on the highway much.
As far as fuel consumption with a thinner oil I've got a data point for you.
My hemi charger had M1 5w-20. I changed the oil to liqui-moly 0w-40(5L) and 1L of pp 0w-20.
From all the posts I've read here on this site about thinner oils being easier on gas I completely expected to see a mileage drop considering I went up 2 grades. My consumption hasn't changed in any real way,so considering you've got the potential to really saturate the oil with fuel I suggest sticking with the grade you're using.
Considering the fuel dilution it may help thin the oil out for you anyways.

I was under the assumption that oil grade can affect fuel consumption and I'm sure it does at idle however in my experience in regular city traffic I would be truly amazed if a person actually could measure the difference.
Over a tank of fuel I'd be seriously surprised if its a 5 mile discrepancy depending on tank size.

The owner's manual says I can use anything from a 10W-30 to a 20W-50 for the temperature range that the car will be operating in (about 0 to 40 degrees celcius).

My mechanic uses 10W-40 because that suits the majority of cars in my area.

Originally Posted By: suzukiguy1978
The owner's manual says I can use anything from a 10W-30 to a 20W-50 for the temperature range that the car will be operating in (about 0 to 40 degrees celcius).

My mechanic uses 10W-40 because that suits the majority of cars in my area.

Well if that's the case let me assure you that you aren't going to see a lick of difference going a single grade thinner as far as fuel consumption is concerned.
We've got a member with a hybrid,not sure if it was a Prius or what however it called for a 0w-20 and because he had some in stock he used a 15w-40 hdeo instead and most of us gasped and all at once told him he was going to lose mileage so he did us the good deed and kept us informed on any fuel consumption anomalies.
When he reported back after a tankful the difference was within 2mpg iirc. I am inclined to believe that if there was an engine and vehicle that would be sensitive and I assume the highest chance at fuel consumption being affected that econobox hybrid would be the poster car and once it was all said and done the difference was within what I consider noise and not significant.
So experience has now taught me that the grade of oil used in an engine has little effect on actual fuel consumption in an uncontrolled environment with changing variables.
Might save you a mouthful at start up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back