Valvoline Synpower 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, except that Caterham has resorted to generalities rather than supporting his original two posts in which he claimed that Synpower was an inferior oil.
One shouldn't post things here as fact that one can't support with facts.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Yeah, except that Caterham has resorted to generalities rather than supporting his original two posts in which he claimed that Synpower was an inferior oil.
One shouldn't post things here as fact that one can't support with facts.

Caterham was simply answering another member asking "Do you have a specific example of an engine requiring " better" attributes...?" and listed reasons why one might choose an oil with "better specs" than Synpower even though Synpower meets the needs of an engine under normal use. His response was consistent with his other posts.

Well since nobody else gave a "simple" answer, I will. VSP is a fantastic oil. Period. I don't care how it stacks up with others.

It's the only oil I've used in the SS (owned 1 year) and what I've been running in the GT for the last 4 years. No varnish or sludge whatsoever.

After lurking this site for 3 years, I think it is the least respected/recognized oil.

Too many SOPUS fanboys obviously.
27.gif

Been using Synpower 10w30 in my S2000 and 5w30 in my 08 K20 Si (both rev to 8k rpm) for awhile now and they both seem to like it very much! i only run it for between 3-4k miles cause im anal.

...and the "average" TBN isnt an issue for many since their maintenance scheduals require (at least with Hyundai/Kia) conservative intervals of no more than 5k miles for the turbo d.i. and 7500 max for normally aspirated vehicles. It's easy to find and cost's $22.xx at Walmart USA.

I've used Valvoline Synpower in my Nissan Frontier and ran it for 7000 miles before changing it to Royal Purple HPS. Synpower held up pretty well during the cold, winter months and long distance driving. I switched over to Royal Purple only because a friend gave me his stash of the HPS. But,
I wouldn't hesitate to use Synpower again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Pick up a bottle of ST full synthetic instead.

lol.gif
I'm dying to hear why. Perhaps you could enlighten me where you found proof that ST outperforms VSP in the average oci of 5,000-7,500 miles. Be sure there are no variables.

Originally Posted By: tony1679
lol.gif
I'm dying to hear why. Perhaps you could enlighten me where you found proof that ST outperforms VSP in the average oci of 5,000-7,500 miles. Be sure there are no variables.

You guys can go on thinking ST is junk.......that's fine by me.......keeps the price down.
grin2.gif

You guys can go on thinking ST is junk.......that's fine by me.......keeps the price down.
grin2.gif

I never said it was junk. Just giving you the opportunity to disprove that it's an inferior oil to VSP. Based on your response, there's no proof to back up your original statement.

Off topic question but is the full synthetic Max Life simply SynPower but with the high mileage add pack?

lol.gif

grin2.gif

No one said it was junk. You are the one who brought ST into this by saying 'pick it up INSTEAD...' ST is good stuff but blanket statements without any links or testing data make any assertions seem like simple baiting. Come on Merk, you've never baited...
02.gif

And I'm a huge ST / WPp fan.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 EP should be the lowest cost oil change on the 11k plus mileage chart (over a $1 less per qt.) posted on the Amzoil paper as it is a one oil change interval oil, not the 2.3 change interval listed in their chart.

Originally Posted By: novadude
Likely one of the least-discussed "major brand" synthetics on this forum. Just wondering what everyone thinks of this oil now that it is a synthetic price leader (5 qt jug) at WalMart? How's it stack up against QSUD, for example?

at Walmart in my area they finally sell the JUGs of the Valvoline Maxx Life FULL SYNTHETIC at the same price and the Syn Power 22$.

Now Id rather use Mobil 1 HM, but thats stuff is like 28$ a jug....

Also I have Syn Power in our GMC Trial Blazer and its been in over 6 months and nearly 6000 miles and the oil still looks clean... Im going to change it very soon though.

Im not a big valvoline fan like i used to be.... but if its on sale, Ill buy it... Im sure its still a very good oil.. However there may be better stuff out there but not better by much....

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Off topic question but is the full synthetic Max Life simply SynPower but with the high mileage add pack?

Yes I think that is true.....

ST is good oil, I had WP, send me the PDF of all the specs on the oil and I posted them here and of OP or mod of the site made the post into a Sticky....

I presume ST you mean Super Tech.. The Super Tech Full Syn is good oil.. 17$ I think for the jug... I know people with Corvettes who use ST Full Syn...

Originally Posted By: David1
ST is good oil, I had WP, send me the PDF of all the specs on the oil and I posted them here and of OP or mod of the site made the post into a Sticky....

I presume ST you mean Super Tech.. The Super Tech Full Syn is good oil.. 17$ I think for the jug... I know people with Corvettes who use ST Full Syn...

Again, nobody said ST was bad. But nobody has proven it's superior to VSP. The OP asked how VSP stacked up with others. So until somebody posts some U/Voas comparing VSP to others, any comments are basically
40.gif

Again, nobody said ST was bad. But nobody has proven it's superior to VSP. The OP asked how VSP stacked up with others. So until somebody posts some U/Voas comparing VSP to others, any comments are basically
40.gif

Does that include your posts???

PQIA has pretty much settled all of this in the past. Just look up their oils tested on their website and all the info you'll need is right there.
I've always liked Valvoline products. NAPA brand is just rebranded Valvoline that has a very good spec sheet. Its what I've been using for years now. Always a good price and usually their synthetic can be picked up on sale often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back