Valvoline, no more easy pour spout

It’s extended protection, not extended performance or long drain oil. Valvoline never marketed or advertised it as such either.
Understood and totally get that it was not marketed as a long drain oil, but it's just barely a short drain oil and as priced above $30 it fits no use case I have after I use these next two jugs.

Here in southern Ontario I noticed about half the Valvoline jugs at my local Walmart are now the new type. Thankfully I managed to get an old jug on sale a few weeks back. I never experienced the "fancy" spout so if I like it, I'll keep it around for measuring purposes.

I placed the oils in the basket for examination and picture purposes only. I didn't purchase the oils.

Understood and totally get that it was not marketed as a long drain oil, but it's just barely a short drain oil and as priced above $30 it fits no use case I have after I use these next two jugs.
Eh fair enough. Multiple UOAs have shown a TBN of 1.0+ even out to 7-8k interval though.

Here in southern Ontario I noticed about half the Valvoline jugs at my local Walmart are now the new type. Thankfully I managed to get an old jug on sale a few weeks back. I never experienced the "fancy" spout so if I like it, I'll keep it around for measuring purposes.
you will like it, it pours really well

Eh fair enough. Multiple UOAs have shown a TBN of 1.0+ even out to 7-8k interval though.
IMHO - 1.0 is too low and it can depend on the test method used and I self impose at 2.0. I have done my share of "wringing the last drop" out of an OCI (15K-17K back in the day), but these days, I would rather set a number like 5K and move on.

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 has my eye for the next oil after VEP.

Last edited:
IMHO - 1.0 is too low and it can depend on the test method used and I self impose at 2.0. I have done my share of "wringing the last drop" out of an OCI (15K-17K back in the day), but these days, I would rather set a number like 5K and move on.

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 has my eye for the next oil after VEP.
1.0 would be too low at 5k, I agree but at 7-8k and it's still above a 1.0, that's pretty good oil. I do 5k OCIs as well so it's not an issue for me either that's why I like it. :cool:

Apparently, they sold the lubricant business to focus on 'Retail" aspect, pay off debt.. etc. Being sold to Armaco is a bit disappointing. I liked the easy pour bottle myself. It used to be on sale a lot more also, now at least at walmart its one of the most expensive.

**Buyer beware of new Valvoline Advanced top spout shown in OP's picture : I had a 5 qrt. jug of Valvoline Advanced bought and delivered by WM yesterday and it leaked in the package (lost about 1/2 qrt.) - no foil seal under the cap - just a cap now with the perforated plastic ring under the cap that does NOT form a seal ! If you order from WM - don't have it delivered , only choose "pick up from store" !

Sheesh, leaky caps, hiked pricing, less than enticing new ownership... I'm actively using Valvoline in two vehicles and have more in my stash, but once I'm out of what I've already got, I'm done with them. It's too bad.

**Buyer beware of new Valvoline Advanced top spout shown in OP's picture : I had a 5 qrt. jug of Valvoline Advanced bought and delivered by WM yesterday and it leaked in the package (lost about 1/2 qrt.) - no foil seal under the cap - just a cap now with the perforated plastic ring under the cap that does NOT form a seal ! If you order from WM - don't have it delivered , only choose "pick up from store" !
Did you used jug or returned ?

Back