Valvoline Modern Engine oil has been downgraded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: PimTac
How do you know this is due to cost cutting? The specs are still within the requirements for d1G2. While Noack is important it is only one aspect of the oil.

But why does Dexos make it such a big deal? That only applies to GM engines, not the dozens upon dozens of other engine manufacturers out there.

Anyone who owns a TGDI or a GDI engine should be using the newer spec oils to reduce the possibility of LSPI.

^^^THIS!

I take the D1G2 spec as an absolute minimum for oil I will put into an EcoBoost engine.
IF an oil 'meets' the D1G2 NOACK spec, but is still over 9%, I will NOT use it!
31.gif

I want to use an oil which beats that spec BY FAR in EVERY catagory, yes, even if the VERY many naysayers, and 'frugal minimalists' who abound on here claim "You don't need it".
lol.gif

MY car/engine, MY choice, despite their 'opinions'.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I take the D1G2 spec as an absolute minimum for oil I will put into an EcoBoost engine.
31.gif

Just curious, how many d1g2 oils are under 9%? Can’t be many.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
31.gif

Since most oil makers don't share NOACK test results with us and very few independent thorough VOAs are available for d1G2 at this point, it's impossible for me to say...the Valvoline FS 5W30 is close at 9.3% while the 5W20 is below that mark at 7.6%, per their website. I would guess that there may be quite a few d1G2 5W20s out there with NOACK losses below 9%, but that's just a semi-educated guess.

Amsoil oils are not truly d1G2, but are claimed to meet all the performance specifications including LSPI mitigation and preventing turbo deposits...Amsoil says the SA levels are too high for d1G2. But, the NOACK losses in their entire SS line are all under 9% and the 10W30 is outstanding at 4.1%...that is a non-d1G2 grade, though, and I'm not completely sure if Amsoil has formulated that for LSPI resistance. They seem to claim the entire SS line is made with LSPI in mind, but I'd make absolutely sure of that for the non-d1G2 grades before buying anything (might be a good Pablo question?).

Last edited:
I want to make a correction. I may have confused this oil with the other Valvoline synthetic oil. But netherless, I'm disappointed in the NOACK. I am shopping for a new car right now and this Valvoline oil was at the top of my list. Was.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I want to make a correction. I may have confused this oil with the other Valvoline synthetic oil. But netherless, I'm disappointed in the NOACK. I am shopping for a new car right now and this Valvoline oil was at the top of my list. Was.

One thing that stood out for me about VME 5W30 was the low 100C viscosity (9.8 cP), which is similar to that of the new PP 5W30 d1G2 formulation. XOM swung the other way with their M1 5W30 AP, its 100C viscosity is rather higher for a 5W30 at 11.7 cSt but the HTHS is a little disappointing at only 3.0.
Maybe SOPUS and Valvoline are shooting for a small gas mileage advantage with the low 100C viscosity or perhaps there is something else driving them in that direction with their viscosities?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spector
Walmart also recently dropped the price to 34.99. Only took a few weeks of no sales for that to happen

Guess they also dropped M1 AP from ~$50 to ~$40 fairly quickly.
Still saw AP bottles at the lower price with WM gift card offers from 2017 on them a few days ago, and they had been relegated to a small part of an upper display shelf.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
One thing that stood out for me about VME 5W30 was the low 100C viscosity (9.8 cP), which is similar to that of the new PP 5W30 d1G2 formulation. XOM swung the other way with their M1 5W30 AP, its 100C viscosity is rather higher for a 5W30 at 11.7 cSt but the HTHS is a little disappointing at only 3.0.
Maybe SOPUS and Valvoline are shooting for a small gas mileage advantage with the low 100C viscosity or perhaps there is something else driving them in that direction with their viscosities?

KV100 of 11.7 with a HTHS of 3.0 is very strange. How is that even possible? There are many A3/B4 5W-30s with KV100s in the 11s and a HTHS >=3.5.

Walmart also recently dropped the price to 34.99. Only took a few weeks of no sales for that to happen

Guess they also dropped M1 AP from ~$50 to ~$40 fairly quickly.
Still saw AP bottles at the lower price with WM gift card offers from 2017 on them a few days ago, and they had been relegated to a small part of an upper display shelf.

I was in the local Walmart a week ago and I saw the same thing. AP had just two rows, one 0w20 and the other 5w30. Maybe 3-4 jugs each.

They only have about $15 dollars to go for a guaranteed sale here.

31.gif

Nope, NOT many at all, and I am waiting for the ONE I do know of (Ravenol DXG 5W-30 D1G2 formula) @ 6.0% NOACK to become available here in the states from Blauparts THIS oil looks GREAT to me as far as static specs/'construction' goes (BEYOND just beating the D1G2 spec), and is right about the cost of Preferred Customer Amsoil prices.

For now, the (yes, not actually D1G2 certified) Amsoil Sig Series 5W-20 is in the sump for the winter OCI.

31.gif

Since most oil makers don't share NOACK test results with us and very few independent thorough VOAs are available for d1G2 at this point, it's impossible for me to say...the Valvoline FS 5W30 is close at 9.3% while the 5W20 is below that mark at 7.6%, per their website. I would guess that there may be quite a few d1G2 5W20s out there with NOACK losses below 9%, but that's just a semi-educated guess.

Amsoil oils are not truly d1G2, but are claimed to meet all the performance specifications including LSPI mitigation and preventing turbo deposits...Amsoil says the SA levels are too high for d1G2. But, the NOACK losses in their entire SS line are all under 9% and the 10W30 is outstanding at 4.1%...that is a non-d1G2 grade, though, and I'm not completely sure if Amsoil has formulated that for LSPI resistance. They seem to claim the entire SS line is made with LSPI in mind, but I'd make absolutely sure of that for the non-d1G2 grades before buying anything (might be a good Pablo question?).

10W-30 - Same additive pack. Slightly different base oil mixture, but not tested as the 5W-30 was for LSPI. Is there a callout anywhere for 10W-30 d1G2?

Originally Posted By: Pablo

10W-30 - Same additive pack. Slightly different base oil mixture, but not tested as the 5W-30 was for LSPI. Is there a callout anywhere for 10W-30 d1G2?

Hi Pablo, I don't think a 10W30 can meet the d1G2 standard, I was just curious as to whether the new 10W30 SS had been tested for LSPI resistance.
I'd sure think about running an LSPI-resistant 10W30 in warm weather when it has a killer 4% NOACK loss...I guess the high SA in the new SS line made me back off and think at first, but I'm warming to the idea that it's not a big deal if the oil is shown to not lead to excessive turbo deposits.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

They only have about $15 dollars to go for a guaranteed sale here.

A regularly priced synthetic at $34.99 here would be looked at down our noses because something clearly must be wrong with it if they're selling it so cheap every day.
wink.gif
Heck, the last time VWB went down to under $10 a jug, it took them forever to sell it. I don't know what's wrong with people here.

Soon there is going to have to be an SA to NOACK ratio type spec (
lol.gif
), since it seems that the manufacturers can make a good anti-LSPI, and low intake deposit oil by either having an extremely low SA, and an average NOACK, or a fairly high SA, and a VERY LOW NOACK number.
21.gif

I'm kind of greedy in that respect as I want BOTH to be as low as possible.
(The Ravenol DXG mentioned above is .77 SA, AND a 6% NOACK.
wink.gif
)

Soon there is going to have to be an SA to NOACK ratio type spec (
lol.gif
), since it seems that the manufacturers can make a good anti-LSPI, and low intake deposit oil by either having an extremely low SA, and an average NOACK, or a fairly high SA, and a VERY LOW NOACK number.
21.gif

I'm kind of greedy in that respect as I want BOTH to be as low as possible.
(The Ravenol DXG mentioned above is .77 SA, AND a 6% NOACK.
wink.gif
)

That DXG has some impressive specs. It’s most certainly PAO with a pour point at -53C and NOACK of 6%. What will it cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back