Valvoline keep sodium for Gen2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whimsey: darn phone put “whiskey” so my bad
smile.gif

What oil would you say you think is good for LSPI engines? Thanks in advance sir

“To help fight LSPI in TGDi engines, anything with dexos1Gen2 approval is recommended. “

And that includes Valvoline Advanced Synthetic as it has the gen2 certificate. So in full circle, we will need an analysis to see what has changed if anything. Perhaps it’s the level of sodium? Perhaps back to Moly and boron? Only the analysis will tell.

In the studies, calcium was an LSPI producer, particularly at levels above 1500 (the curve goes way vertical). In conjunction with calcium, when sodium was added, the LSPI occurrences went way up. Magnesium is LSPI neutral. That is why, in most of the D1G2 oils, it looks as if they replaced around half the calcium with magnesium, and there is no sodium. Unless they remove calcium completely from the add pack, it is hard to envision there being any sodium in a D1G2 oil. They would be fighting the So/Ca with something else. Why bother?

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
In the studies, calcium was an LSPI producer, particularly at levels above 1500 (the curve goes way vertical). In conjunction with calcium, when sodium was added, the LSPI occurrences went way up. Magnesium is LSPI neutral. That is why, in most of the D1G2 oils, it looks as if they replaced around half the calcium with magnesium, and there is no sodium. Unless they remove calcium completely from the add pack, it is hard to envision there being any sodium in a D1G2 oil. They would be fighting the So/Ca with something else. Why bother?

Good point and sorry bout earlier thoughts sir. MAGNATEC looks good but is it Dexos 1 gen2?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: bigj_16

Good point and sorry bout earlier thoughts sir. MAGNATEC looks good but is it Dexos 1 gen2?

Thanks

Hi car51,
Here's the list of approved oils...

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

Originally Posted By: PimTac
“To help fight LSPI in TGDi engines, anything with dexos1Gen2 approval is recommended. “

And that includes Valvoline Advanced Synthetic as it has the gen2 certificate. So in full circle, we will need an analysis to see what has changed if anything. Perhaps it’s the level of sodium? Perhaps back to Moly and boron? Only the analysis will tell.

You mean Synpower or Maxlife Synpower also PimTac?

Thx

Originally Posted By: car51

You mean Synpower or Maxlife Synpower also PimTac?

Thx

It is an interesting twist. The pictures of Valvoline’s new jugs have no mention of Synpower on the label. I haven’t seen one yet in person. They all said Valvoline Advanced Synthetic. Even their website still shows Synpower. So it’s not official but one wonders why the new jugs differ?

I like Valvoline as a brand and while I am not loyal to any particular brand, Valvoline is a sure pick for me. Havoline would be another if it were not so hard to track down. That’s the oil I grew up with and used in my early days because my father used it religiously. Many here have that same story with their favorite brands also.

The new Pennzoil Platinum has piqued my curiosity because the paper stats look excellent. Now that I have a GDI engine I plan to stay with the course of avoiding LSPI even though it seems to be particular to turbo GDI engines. Mine has no turbo but I want to play it safe. If a Valvoline analysis comes up here that shows promise then I’ll go with them. Either way I should be alright running any gen2 oil.

I found it interesting that the Valvoline new bottle info page is dated Feb 2017, yet there was no mention of any changes here until recently. Usually BITOGers are quick on the draw at this kind of info.

Last edited:
I like Valvoline as a brand and while I am not loyal to any particular brand, Valvoline is a sure pick for me. Havoline would be another if it were not so hard to track down. That’s the oil I grew up with and used in my early days because my father used it religiously. Many here have that same story with their favorite brands also.

The new Pennzoil Platinum has piqued my curiosity because the paper stats look excellent. Now that I have a GDI engine I plan to stay with the course of avoiding LSPI even though it seems to be particular to turbo GDI engines. Mine has no turbo but I want to play it safe. If a Valvoline analysis comes up here that shows promise then I’ll go with them. Either way I should be alright running any gen2 oil.

I found it interesting that the Valvoline new bottle info page is dated Feb 2017, yet there was no mention of any changes here until recently. Usually BITOGers are quick on the draw at this kind of info.

With the Pennzoil $2 a quart rebate, you can get 24 qts. for $2.40 a qt.

Last edited:
Yep. I have eyes that sale and rebate but I’m not yet ready to change out the FF on the Mazda quite yet. Also I have little room for any storage so I have to be cautious. It is a great deal though and I may pick up a jug for the future.

Havoline would be another if it were not so hard to track down. That’s the oil I grew up with and used in my early days because my father used it religiously.

Awhile back I found Havoline ProDS Synthetic Motor Oil 10W30 on sale and when the dust settled it wound up costing me $10.70 a 5 Qt. Jug. Now I have my summer oil for the next 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back