Valve clatter, weekend only car

I took a job with a company car, so my 2019 Rogue with 30,500 miles is only used on the weekends. It currently has a fill of Valvoline Advanced Protection Full Synthetic 0W-20 and a Nissan filter purchased at Walmart. When I fire it up on Saturday, the valves clatter for a second or so.

I have run Mobil 1 in the car, but that was when I was daily driving it, so I don’t know if it would be better back on Mobil 1. I have about 1500 miles left on this oil change of Valvoline, and have not bought my next round of oil. Is there a particular brand that would help reduce the valve clatter? Maybe a different filter?

I did a search first and was not able to find the answer. Thanks for your guidance.

Still debating about selling the car since I can use the company vehicle for personal use. My wife hates driving company vehicles, which is why we are not selling it just yet. Plus it’s paid for.

Try a new filter and Mobil 1 EP High Mileage. (C)VVTs also have seals in them, and sometimes these dry out and shrink. This has worked for me on Hyundai/KIA engines before.

I took a job with a company car, so my 2019 Rogue with 30,500 miles is only used on the weekends. It currently has a fill of Valvoline Advanced Protection Full Synthetic 0W-20 and a Nissan filter purchased at Walmart. When I fire it up on Saturday, the valves clatter for a second or so.

I have run Mobil 1 in the car, but that was when I was daily driving it, so I don’t know if it would be better back on Mobil 1. I have about 1500 miles left on this oil change of Valvoline, and have not bought my next round of oil. Is there a particular brand that would help reduce the valve clatter? Maybe a different filter?
Based upon the fact that the noise only appears for a few seconds after sitting for a while, I'd suspect the ADBV is allowing oil to drain back out of the filter overnight. Instead of waiting for the next oil change, go ahead and install a different brand of filter on it now without changing the existing Valvoline. Perhaps use a dealer sourced NISSAN OEM filter or a Fram with/a silicone ADBV. Avoid any filter that has a black (nitrile rubber) ADBV for this test. If you wait 1500 miles until the next oil change to swap out the filter, you won't be able to discern whether the clatter is due to the oil or filter. Also, I'm a huge fan of the Quaker State Full Synthetic oils for noise mitigation (in spite of all the naysayers who believe oil selection has no effect on engine noise), while my personal experience with Mobil 1 indicates it often results in more valvetrain noise. YMMV.

Oil is fine though too skinny for a big piston long stroke 2.5.

Had a QR 25DE in a rogue. Very noisy engine. A couple seconds racket is not a big issue.

Nissan filters have been found defective by myself and others on BITOG. I would guess the current batch is still Grupo Gonher? Some have a tendency to invert the ADBV making it ineffective.

I would run a Supertech MP or a WIX XP.

Your oil choice of Valvoline Advanced is fine.

Sadly the quiet oil - Castrol Magnetec - is no longer.

I am with @Nukeman7, you would be greatly served by QS 10W30 FS Spring through Fall in Iowa. Not a fan of their 5wXX lubes.

- Ken

Sadly the quiet oil - Castrol Magnetec - is no longer.

I am with @Nukeman7, you would be greatly served by QS 10W30 FS Spring through Fall in Iowa. Not a fan of their 5wXX lubes.

- Ken

Ken, I am curious now...can you explain why you don't care for the QS-FS 5W-XX grade oils? I have had good results with the 5W-20 QSFS in different Honda 4 cylinders and a Ford Ranger w/2.3 l Duratec.

Last edited:
;)Deleted the post I placed here with me-mouse.. But I can't seem to delete that Blinkin' Yeller guy to the left <

I'm with Ken on spreading the good news on 10w30s overall over 5w30s, when used on GDIs/TGDIs in cooperative climates.
I concur wholeheartedly and I'm not blinking or winking.:).

Last edited:
Ken, I am curious now...can you explain why you don't care for the QS-FS 5W-XX grade oils? I have had good results with the 5W-20 QSFS in different Honda 4 cylinders and a Ford Ranger w/2.3 l Duratec.
More for ultimate performance v. typical performance. It's not a bad choice. Just subjective stuff. I am anti VM if not required by climate. I consider their 10W30 something extra-ordinary.

Back