Value Craft Coolant-Autozone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that all of the ethylene glycol (the old style, green color) coolants were basically the same, no matter which company makes them. Am I wrong?

The only thing that my 03 Subaru Forester manual says about type of coolant is to use the Subaru coolant or an "equivalent ethylene glycol based coolant". So when I changed the coolant last summer (which was green color) at 30,000 miles, I completely flushed out the old coolant from the whole system (engine block as well as radiator) and put in a green-colored ethylene glycol coolant. I can't remember the brand, but think it was Peak or Walmart's Super Tech. Any thoughts on whether I'm ok?

My research tells me that although each manufacturer says you can only use the type of coolant that the vehicle came with or you could have problems, this is not true, and as long as you completely flush out the original factory coolant from the whole system you can then switch to another type of coolant. For example, you can switch from the green ethylene glycol to G-05, which is what I'm thinking of doing in the Subaru when it again needs new coolant. Any thoughts on this? If G-05, which is what the vehicles that the Chrysler and Ford companies make come with from the factory, is good for those vehicles, I fail to see how it can harm a vehicle that came from the factory with Dexcool or the green ethylene glycol.

There were 2 TSBs, the first was confusing, and made the second one even more confusing(in my opinion)

1st TSB
 -

2nd TSB
 -

Also the Mopar I saw yesterday...I thought I heard the sales guy call it G20.

ShortBuSX,
above you presented a TSB that said you should use a non silicate/phosphate (Japanese OEM) type fluid.

What did you discover in your research that said it was o.k. to use a silicate/phosphate type?

And, be careful - MOPAR (as well as Motorcraft and Zerex) have both "conventional" and G05 coolants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back