Using more Oil with M1 EP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know whats going on
dunno.gif

I changed from M1 5w-30 to the new EP 5w-30 on my last oil change, and after 1 month and less than 1,000 miles, I was almost 3/4 of a quart low.
When I used the regular Super-syn, I didn't use that much make up oil in 5,000 miles.

The 4.6 SOHC Supercrew only has 41,000 miles and is in sound mechanical shape. My driving style has not changed etc.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing?
Is this oil thinner maybe?

If this continues, I'll have to go back to the regular Super Syn or maybe the new 7500.

Are you 100% sure about the motor? I have a 2001 Mustang GT with the SOHC 4.6 and she has 54,000 miles and has NEVER required any makeup oil between changes. I bought her used with 14K on the clock and have used Mobil 1 5W-30 ever since.

Member # 1189 ,

I posted a couple three weeks ago or so about trying out Mobil 1 10w-30 in my Toyota Tacoma. I had realized oil loss as well. Mine was worse though. I had lost 2 quarts over the course of 2 or 3 weeks, and there were definitely no leaks. Also, I had the strangest smell coming from the truck. It was an oil smell, but now that I think back, it was kind of a sweet/burned oil smell. Maybe the oil was going through the pcv valve. That is a good point.

Anyway, after that, I immediately switched back to Castrol Syntec, and never had an oil loss again. Well, years and over 266,500 miles later, my truck still thankfully burns no oil, and I have not had any leaks except one, and that was due to a poorly shaped oil pan gasket from the factory. Upon dissasembly, I found that the gasket was actually missing or had seperated and slipped out at some point. (Just a small section) To this day, I don't ever have to top it off between changes, except maybe a half quart, which would indicate burnt off oil (or maybe vaporized?) from the heat of the engine.

Well, read my post about my Mobil 1 EP. It's pretty informative. I am trying it right now with very positive results.

PS. I apologize if I said in an earlier post that I never had a leak on the truck. It was a forgetful slip on my part. I also wanted to tell about it, because I feel it had nothing to do with using synthetic oil, but was a gasket failure instead.

Thanks.

Thomas

Switching oils in many cases results in oil loss but it should stabilize over time wants the oil lays down it's layer. Mobil is a low volatile oil. When I switched to RL my consumption was way up, but if I would have continued use of it, it would have dropped down most likely. Noak of 5% for RL.

I do not 5W30!I have M1 in Toyota's,Dodge's, Ford's, Plymoths(Diamnond Star) and a Buick and have never had any of them burn any M1.I have done this since 1988 off and on sometimes switching brands of synthetic once in a while. I have never had an engine that burnt more then 1/2 a quart dureing a 3000-9000 mile oil change!

Now if you have an oil burners then that might change things a bit as M1 is awfuly thin for a 30Wt.! Bareing anytype of mechanical problem you might have some cleaning going on or you might have a bad batch of M1?

I think you would have to go through two batches of M1 just to show a trend. Then you would have to switch brands of the same weight with out makeing any improvments to the engine at all to demonstrate it truely was the oil.

I would keep topping off with M1EP and see if it settles down!

Thanks for the replies.

This is my 1st time using the EP version of 5w-30 and noticed the oil loss.

I have previously used 2 OCI's with 0w-20 M1 Supersyn and 2 OCI's with M1 5w-30 Supersyn and used maybe 1/4 qt of makeup oil during the entire interval. That included trips to my deer lease that is an 8 hr drive at speeds of 80 MPH and didn't have any loss to speak of.

I maintain the Truck religiously.It has a fairly new PCV, air filter, etc. The truck does not smoke or anything
dunno.gif

I'm going to go ahead and run the full interval and see what happens, but if this consumption continues, I may go back to the Regular Super-syn or even the M1 7500

Coincidence maybe? I doubt it's oil related. New engine, but pcv valve maybe??

Something like that happened to me when I went to Amsoil 10w30 in my Grand Prix 3.8L.
The first time I used amsoil I lost around a 2 qts of oil in 7500 miles.
The next Amsoil change I burnt .5-.75 in my usual 7500 miles change.
Weird but true.
I'm using free Valvoline Synpower synthetic now.
Then to Mobil 1.

Was the new pcv valve "genuine" Motorcraft part or after market? I know some people have had problems with non-Motorcraft pcv's.

It is possible that your engine does not get along with the new M1 formulation. I had been using the Advanced Formula M1 10W-30 in my 1995 Subaru with about a 0.5 qt per 5000 mile usage. When the Trisyn formula came out my consumption jumped to 1.75 quarts in 5K. This held for two full OCIs. I switched to Delo 15W-40 and the consumption dropped back to the 0.5 qt/5K at the first OCI with the Delo.

My WRX doubled its consumption for the first OCI with RP Racing 21 vs the RP 10W-30 API oil. Consumption has been lower with the RP 21 than the API oil after the first run of RP 21.

Give the M1 EP two full OCIs. If the consumption is still high at the end of the second OCI, find another oil.

Ed

[ March 19, 2005, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: edhackett ]

quote:

rbraughn:
..... I changed from M1 5w-30 to the new EP 5w-30 on my last oil change, and after 1 month and less than 1,000 miles, I was almost 3/4 of a quart low. ....

It's probably "seating".

This happens sometimes when you switch motor oils.

It will eventually go back to normal.

Haley10,

It is a Motorcraft PCV. It was in place for my last OCI and I wasn't losing the oil with it then.
I try to use Motorcraft parts as much as possible: Fuel filter, Oil filter PCV etc.

MickeyM,

Would the new EP formula be so drastically different than the Super-Syn I had been using that it now has to "seat"?
When I switched from Dino to the Super-Syn, I didn't experience the consumption, why now?

Anyway, I'll leave it and see what happens

Thanks again for all the replies
cheers.gif

quote:

rbraughn:
.... Would the new EP formula be so drastically different than the Super-Syn I had been using that it now has to "seat"?
When I switched from Dino to the Super-Syn, I didn't experience the consumption, why now? ....

I don't know.

For some reason when you change from oil A to oil B, in some but not all cases you get a period of increased oil consumption. The term "seating" is used for it.

A lot of people experienced it when the change from Tri-Syn Mobil 1 to the current formula was made.

FWIW...I switched our 5.4L Expedition over the M1 several months ago and it used over 1 quart of oil in 3K miles. This is from an engine that never used any oil previously. The engine has over 100K miles on it, but runs strong.

The M1 was obviously cleaning out the engine as it darkened quickly, but I was surprised at how quickly it used the M1. I switched back to MC dino and begin an ARx treatment.

After the ARx I will go back to dino and change every 3-4K. I will alsow replace the new AutoZone PCV valve with the MC PCV that I bought a couple of weeks ago. Dino worked well before...why change?

I might be seeing something similar. I noticed the oil is slightly below the full mark now, with only 600 miles on it so far. I called Mobil today and asked them. They said if your car normally consumes oil, it will be worse with a synthetic bc it's more slippery. I'm going to monitor it and it should stop if it hasn't already.
smile.gif

I use M1, 0w-40 in two late model VWs.
Both have around 35,000 kilometers and both were purchased new and have been using Mobil 0-40 since 5,000 kilometers. Both burn a little oil. The worst of the two at around 1 litre per 2,000 kms.

This last weekend I switched one to Delvac 1, 5w-40 in the hope of burning a little less. Will see if there is any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back