Using Liquid Electrical Tape for the First Time

Hope it works well at keeping moisture out and thus preventing corrosion. This joint is under a truck and exposed to a lot of salt spray in the winter.

I have had good results with adhesive lined heat shrink. I hope the liquid tape works as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 117
i recently sealed an entrance service cable with it + afterward wrapped it with gorilla tape. water ran between the cables + down into the electric panel!!! girlfriend thought her just out of warranty electric stove was bad BUT a corroded 40A breaker was the issue!! panel will get replaced due to severe corrosion in other areas!!

Entrance service cables usually run in conduit (used to be metal, now PVC) unless Teck or similar armoured cable was used.

In your case, did the liquid tape fail to do its job or water ran between the individual conductors and the tape was only sealing the exterior of the cable?

In my experience, liquid e tape needs to be applied in multiple thin layers, about 15 to 30 minutes apart depending on temp and humidity.

If.one applies a thick layer all at once, then it remains soft inside and one can grab it and rip it off easily, days or weeks later.

I have found regular electrical tape bonds to recently cured liquid e tape extradordinarily well, and use both when permanence is required. Smalll zip ties over the ends of unstretched e tape's final wrap, to prevent potential age related unravelling .

Reactions: GON
In my experience, liquid e tape needs to be applied in multiple thin layers, about 15 to 30 minutes apart depending on temp and humidity.

If.one applies a thick layer all at once, then it remains soft inside and one can grab it and rip it off easily, days or weeks later.

I have found regular electrical tape bonds to recently cured liquid e tape extradordinarily well, and use both when permanence is required. Smalll zip ties over the ends of unstretched e tape's final wrap, to prevent potential age related unravelling .
Thanks for the tip. The pic I posted is of a one thick layer application. I need to refine my application procedure.

To prevent ends of vinyl electrical tape from unravelling, especially over larger objects, I apply a couple of layers of self-fusing tape at the ends over the vinyl tape

I used it over electrical tape to repair a cracked "Y" on the plastic drain under my kitchen sink 10 years ago. Still not leaking. Liquid tape has many uses.

Thanks for the tip. The pic I posted is of a one thick layer application. I need to refine my application procedure.

To prevent ends of vinyl electrical tape from unravelling, especially over larger objects, I apply a couple of layers of self-fusing tape at the ends over the vinyl tape

Another tip: Leave an inch or two tail of unwrapped tape when you cut it from the roll, wait a minute or two for it to shrink back to size, then wrap it.

It's the tape trying to shrink back to size that causes it to overcome the adhesive and unravel.

Back