Using cheaper filters at shorter intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's easier to get $4 off an $8 filter than $4 off a $4 one.

And filters plug up with use which makes them more efficient until they bypass.

I don't think you can go wrong following your heart or any advice in this thread.

The M1 might be a bit pricey for what you're doing, if you don't have a turbo some rotella 10w30 or 15w40 would clean just as well.

Since the dirt built up 1 molecule at a time, why not remove it 1 or 2 molecules at a time?

Also, the oil and filter work together. What the filter does not catch will be dispersed in the oil excluding any large undissolved pieces. Since you replaced the pan, you got rid of 60-70% of those.

The Ford Ranger in my sig line is a testimony that 3-5K OCI/FCI with conventional or synthetic blends and jobber filters will clean up an engine. Motorcraft synthetic blend and Valvoline Maxlife were effective in releasing varnish. The transmission will die before the engine does.

I use an open top drain pan so I can decant the oil and see what large particles are in the oil. The filters are cut for inspection.

I bought a half dozen Champ Labs PH820 filters for cheap. No issues with the elements.

The engine is now ready to move up for slightly longer oil changes.

Good luck and have fun while doing it.
smile.gif

Make/Model/Year would be beneficial to know from the start. Why not use a cheaper conventional or syn blend SN rated oil paired with a Super Tech filter for multiple short 2-3000 mile intervals to start. Then switch over to your mighty M1 0W40 & pair it with a good synthetic filter. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely would not run a top dollar oil filter for short interval oil changes. For long intervals, sure. High dollar filter all the way. I want the media and filter innards to hold up.

In regards to the ability to "filter", is there a bad filter out there? After all, we (I assume) are talking about an automotive bypass filtration system, where the filter and oil pumping system is designed to bypass the media anyway.

I do short OCI on my f150 due to short trips doing satellite installs. So I just figure I am doing severe service oil changes. I have been using both MC and Supertech filters at 3000 miles. Both are inexpensive at Walmart. Supertech runs around a dollar less. I have heard they are Wix made filters so I am good with them.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I don't think it's a good idea. You're better off using an expensive filter for two OCIs.

He's worried about the filter clogging up early as stuff loosens up if it's dirty.

OP, how hard to pull a valve cover and take a look?

We need to know what car this is. Pull the valve cover to find out the condition of the motor, then decide the cleaning method and interval of OC.

Also change the PCV valve and monitor oil consumption. I would avoid any flushes on the motor, just monitor what's going on. Opening the oil filter will be wise as well to see what it's catching.

First - Do NOT expect any "miracles" from any oil in "cleaning ability". All oils clean, and some do a very minute (fractionally) better job, but none act as an "engine flush"

Originally Posted By: eljefino

And filters plug up with use which makes them more efficient until they bypass.

Not as much as you might think.

Besides, most of the "particles" that break loose as an engine cleans are really large bits of carbon... the equivalent of pea gravel that goes around a casing in a water well. Big pieces don't hinder flow.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
... You're better off using an expensive filter for two OCIs.
That makes sense under two conditions:
1) The expensive filter is actually better (not necessarily so); and
2) The engine is clean enough not to clog the filter.

Under reasonable conditions, even moderately priced or "cheap" filters don't clog nearly as quickly as many BITOGers apparently assume. I ran basic filters about 18,000 miles many times with zero problems.

Why 2k? Even the bottom of the barrel bargain filters can easily handle 5k. O'Reilly's Microguard or Walmart's Supertech filters or WIX's Pro-Tec lines are good choices.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
He's worried about the filter clogging up early as stuff loosens up if it's dirty.

Good point. I keep forgetting that not everybody has a spotless engine like I do.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
i have done 8,000 miles with supertech filters with out issues.

Need pics for proof of that, plus would like to hear the engine upon cold startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back