Using an old style metal oil filter instead of a paper cartridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Fiesta 1.5 diesel uses a paper cartridge filter - and I somewhat agree with this guy's rant about metal filters having stuff like drain back valves and such that paper filters just can't provide though they're so much cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaV1wvTpHCs

How much sense does it make, given that newer cars have more or less moved wholesale to paper filters?

Also - for an oil filter like the one in this pic, what'd be a usable metal filter? I'm at a place that's miles away from the nearest Ford dealerships so finding the Ford OEM part for this one is rather difficult. There are two or three other kinds of Ford filters (at least different shaped plastic bits on top, and one has a different honeycomb pattern) - none of which others fit my car, just the one with the plastic fins in my screenshot. The part number in the screenshot is the official Ford one.

edit - I'm stateside currently, on a business trip, and while this 1.5 tdci / duratorq engine isn't terribly common out here and I don't expect I'll find a compatible filter, I'd love to see which of the better filters out there - Fram and such - would be a good fit, so I can source a decent supply of them before I return to India over this weekend. Thanks!

Screenshot 2019-03-04 at 8.00.15 AM.png

Last edited:
I use cartridge's in my 2.4L GM thats in the Slingshot. Have used Bosch and Wix; both are well made, part synthetic, I'd give the nod to Wix.
Check Rockauto.com for you vehicle.

IMHO. I only use Purolator brand when i can. Purolator invented oil filters. in the 20s or 30s. SO are you going to put a $5.00 filter in a $10,000 engine. how ever useing an O.E.M. filter is a NOT bad way to go.

Originally Posted by red7404
IMHO. I only use Purolator brand when i can. Purolator invented oil filters. in the 20s or 30s. SO are you going to put a $5.00 filter in a $10,000 engine. how ever useing an O.E.M. filter is a NOT bad way to go.

Purolator is what I would prefer too, they manufacture it under license in India as well but unfortunately, they don't currently support the specific cartridge my Ford uses. My other car (the Scorpio 2.2 diesel) has used Purolator over multiple oil changes, performs like a champ.

Searching Rockauto for the Ford part number doesn't turn up anything
frown.gif
That model isn't sold stateside - its quite common in Europe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SureshR
How much sense does it make, given that newer cars have more or less moved wholesale to paper filters?

You get the thumbs up from me. There is no sense in rewarding a paper design if they insist on making them as expensive as the metal can design.

It's analogous to having soda pop in refillable bottles more expensive than in new bottles.

In your post you asked, "...for an oil filter like the one in this pic, what'd be a usable metal filter?"
There is none.

First, there are trade offs when engineering choices are made. Just like in life, every breath you draw is a compromise.
FYI: Bypass and drain-back controls are built into your engine so the filter (n.) need only filter (v.).
Also FYI: Even if you were a machining master and re-contoured your engine to accept a screw on filter there'd be no filter available with your engine's required bypass and ADB requirements assured.

Converting your setup to accept a screw on filter would be too expensive.

Don't absorb and assume Scotty Kilmer's outrage as your own. He's cool but his place as an "enraged entertaining enlightener" is also something of a compromise.

I'm guessing your energy would be best expended contacting Ford, WIX, Hastings and asking them which cartridge filter fits your car and abandon the quest for a screw on canister.

As mentioned, getting the original Ford part for your diesel engine is the smartest thing to do. The greater the effort you expend and the higher the risk for receiving a case of the incorrect filter becomes, the smarter the Ford filter becomes.

Perhaps using a UK site could yield you a part number. Really, obtaining the correct pn for your Ford filter is step #1

Also, should you wreck your vehicle, it'd be easier to get some money from selling a broken case of genuine Ford filters over some brand the locals in India might not be aware of.

Best of luck and don't drive yourself nuts.

Originally Posted by AntsinmyEyes
Tearolator=junk

I will not use them again after experiencing so many tears. As far as the cartridge filter goes, I thought they were implemented to reduce waste during the disposal of the used filter. I liked them on the Jeep and the Cruz.

Originally Posted by Kira
As mentioned, getting the original Ford part for your diesel engine is the smartest thing to do. The greater the effort you expend and the higher the risk for receiving a case of the incorrect filter becomes, the smarter the Ford filter becomes.

Perhaps using a UK site could yield you a part number. Really, obtaining the correct pn for your Ford filter is step #1

Yup - the part number from the screenshot in my original post IS the actual Ford part number for a filter cartridge.

My issue is not just spin on vs cartridge, it is that the only Ford authorized parts store near me went out of business a year or two back and the rest of the Ford dealers in my town are miles away from where I am ++ backlogged because of that dealer + parts store shutting down. So takes ages to get an appointment and then I get to drive way across town and leave my car there a whole day, just for a simple oil and air / aircon filter change.

You can't use a metal spin-on on a housing made for cartridge. (duh). You'll have to find a way to replace the cartridge housing assembly to a spin-on assembly.

Yes, it is dumb as the youtube video said but if your car is equiped with a cartridge filter, it MUST use cartridge filter.

You can try visiting a Ford dealership here in the US to see if they have that filter for your car available.
I have not heard Ford 1.5L diesel engine here so your chance is very slim that you find the filter here, unfortunately.
I am not a Ford expert, so my knowledge is limited.
Do you know if the engine is actually made by Ford? Some Ford may use engine from other mfg.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JMJNet
Yes, it is dumb as the youtube video said but if your car is equiped with a cartridge filter, it MUST use cartridge filter.

You can try visiting a Ford dealership here in the US to see if they have that filter for your car available.
I have not heard Ford 1.5L diesel engine here so your chance is very slim that you find the filter here, unfortunately.
Do you know if the engine is actually made by Ford? Some Ford may use engine from other mfg.

The Engine was originally sourced from Peugeot, and does duty in Citroen, Mazda, Jag and Range Rover as well.

They seem to be AKA Powerstroke here stateside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine#1.5

Originally Posted by Kestas

You get the thumbs up from me. There is no sense in rewarding a paper design if they insist on making them more expensive as the metal can design.

Fixed it for you.
Many cartridge filters are 2x the price of a metal can.
Seems the fact that a cartridge does not need a spring, ADV, can, machining etc that it should be a lot cheaper. Some do have more plastic parts on them though, but still, they should be on par with canisters.
One thing I do notice is that cartridge filters have much better pleat spacing than what is found in cans.

and I somewhat agree with this guy's rant about metal filters having stuff like drain back valves and such that paper filters just can't provide though they're so much cheaper.

How do you explain the GM engines that have the anti drain back valve in the engine block? Or the Chrysler engines that have the anti drain back valve built into the canister filter oil cap? Crazy huh? Engineers engineer a fix when they modify things. Weird.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
and I somewhat agree with this guy's rant about metal filters having stuff like drain back valves and such that paper filters just can't provide though they're so much cheaper.

How do you explain the GM engines that have the anti drain back valve in the engine block? Or the Chrysler engines that have the anti drain back valve built into the canister filter oil cap? Crazy huh? Engineers engineer a fix when they modify things. Weird.

Extremely weird - but also a single point of failure. That one thing fails and .. boom. Oil cap makes sense.

The Engine was originally sourced from Peugeot, and does duty in Citroen, Mazda, Jag and Range Rover as well.

They seem to be AKA Powerstroke here stateside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine#1.5

If this is the same as this one:
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/02/20180208-ford.html

Then you can find the oil filter here, assuming it uses the same filter.
Only you can research that.
Like I said, go to Ford Dealership and see if the filter is the same.

However, there is no way to change the type of filter from cartridge to can.
Unless somebody invented/manufactured an adapter which they have for Toyota but that is an expensive adapter, though.

There will be anti drain back, just in the car instead of on the filter.

IMO it makes more sense in this direction. You have less metal waste, less oil stuck inside the filter going into landfill vs just the paper, but you need a vehicle specific tool and it may be a bit messier to replace for DIY.

Originally Posted by Kira
In your post you asked, "...for an oil filter like the one in this pic, what'd be a usable metal filter?"
There is none.
Converting your setup to accept a screw on filter would be too expensive.

You COULD, however, add another filter (metal screw on canister) that filters the fuel BEFORE it reaches this cartridge filter.

It should not be hard to adapt an industrial/truck unit if you have room to mount it. Wix/Napa carry all the parts you need in stock.

If this is the same as this one:
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/02/20180208-ford.html

Amazing! This I have to see. Thanks for this.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/oil-filters/filter-assy-oil-8678187-1

Oil Filter Part #: FL2082 (6731)
Oil Cooler and Filter
Usages: 05/28/2018 - 03/11/2019, Transit/Tourneo Connect 2013-, 1.5L Duratorq-TDCi (120PS) - Neo, (+)"CDN/PR/USA"
For your prices and availability select a dealer

So

1. It IS the same engine (but delivering some 20 ps more)
2. The part number 6731 is in the same series as the filter for my car.

Looks like a very decent match. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back