Used Comparison: Fram Old versus New Extra Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
A video of the construction of a used ten year old or so Fram Extra Guard filter versus a newer used Fram Extra Guard. The filters are probably not for equivalent applications. The bypass set up is different. The new Fram Extra Guard is reported to have a cellulose and glass filter media at 95% efficiency. I don't know if Fram was using a cellulose or cellulose and glass media ten years ago or the efficincy. Anyone know?

I actually have 5 old style PH3593A filters, the one in the video, that I put away in a box in a back hall and forgot about; dating back to a September 2006 manufacture date. I cut one open and the construction was identical to the old filter in this video. Sorry I didn't take photo's. I didn't find anything unusual. The media looked fine, the rubber parts were still flexible and there was no rust anywhere.

I use dino in my Honda 2.4L which is very easy on oil and only drive 6-8K miles per year. I am going to use these filter at a 4K OCI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eKwl0WgMM4

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deoxy4
A video of the construction of a used ten year old or so Fram Extra Guard filter versus a newer used Fram Extra Guard. The filters are probably not for equivalent applications. The bypass set up is different. The new Fram Extra Guard is reported to have a cellulose and glass filter media at 95% efficiency. I don't know if Fram was using a cellulose or cellulose and glass media ten years ago or the efficincy. Anyone know?

I actually have 5 old style PH3593A filters, the one in the video, that I put away in a box in a back hall and forgot about; dating back to a September 2006 manufacture date. I cut one open and the construction was identical to the old filter in this video. Sorry I didn't take photo's. I didn't find anything unusual. The media looked fine, the rubber parts were still flexible and there was no rust anywhere.

I use dino in my Honda 2.4L which is very easy on oil and only drive 6-8K miles per year. I am going to use these filter at a 4K OCI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eKwl0WgMM4
If this is your video-did I see several holes in the media on the newer one? Otherwise it looks good-& despite what Jay Buckley said in the video's comments, if you have a 6500 mile OCI, and that is less than what your car's manufacturer recommends-the EG SHOULD be able to handle it! There's been a lot of Purolator failures covered here, but if you didn't put those holes there, that Fram was just as bad as any Classic!

Thanks, it was not my video. I don't know.

I only plan to run the filter 4K miles or 6 months. I don't have any of the newer Fram EG filters. The unused older Fram EG that I opened up had no holes in the filter medium. I didn't think to take photo's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back