"used chickens for sale on Facebook"

I got free chickens off craigslist about 15 years ago the day after I got a good deal on a car.

I put them in a rubbermaid laundry basket, threw a blanket over the top, and drove them home in my Saturn wagon. They were noisy the first couple miles but then fell asleep. Laid eggs for years.

Just got a tickle out of their ad on local Facebook today. One year old and laying good! It just made me chuckle!

Guess if they don't put out eggs, can turn them into chicken and noodles. Never saw that on Facebook before.
We keep a few chickens for eggs and sometimes people mention that we could cook them for dinner.

So I could catch, kill, bleed, blanch, pluck, gut and cook one of our chickens that we have raised since they were hatchlings.

Or I could get a rotisserie chicken from BJ's for $4.99. I'll take the lemon pepper please.

Last edited:
As an ancillary note: Don't forget that the USPS has approved chicken shipping boxes.

I saw and heard the birds squawking and engaged the man mailing them.
He freely admitted that they were fighting roosters which he was mailing to Puerto Rico.

Who knew?

My parents used to raise chickens to eat. They would have about 30 of them and when it came time to dress them it was a lot work. You cut the head off and use an electric feather plucking machine to remove the feathers after they were boiled. There is nothing better than a home raised chicken to eat. Oh how I miss those home raised birds.

I saw that too. I found it odd because you supposedly can’t sell animals on Facebook.

I’ve had posts removed for simply asking about dog breeders.
Yeah, I'm surprised FB didn't remove or block that post too as they have a "no animal sales" rule. For a while, it seems like they were blocking egg sales as well. This wasn't intended, it was just that their automated system was catching it by mistake.

I was at a relative's house recently.
They live in a rural area and the neighbors across the street have chickens/roosters.
The coop is at least 200 yards from relative's house.
The roosters were SO loud, it was noisier than a city street.

He freely admitted that they were fighting roosters which he was mailing to Puerto Rico.
The USPS has a rule against mailing chickens for fighting purposes. They should have refused them.

I had questioned the postal customer why anyone needed to bother sending chickens to Puerto Rico.

As we cleared the counter, he whispered to me that they were fighters.

I figured it was a less-than-completely-wholesome thing to do. I didn't think in terms of postal regulations.

Maybe I misread the "used chickens for sale" Looked up the post today.

My chickens are laying eggs so well. They are up for adoption. Pm. (exact post except pic with a basket of eggs)

I have chickens, 7 adult hens and just bought 8 more chicks. I eat 3 eggs every morning, and use eggs for other stuff for cooking. They also have a "tunnel" that allows them to eat weeds in between the plant rows in the garden. Very efficient for weeding and fertilizing the garden, and you can see a noticeable difference in color between the fresh eggs and the store bought $16/dozen or whatever they are up to now. Since mine are "free range" or in the chicken tunnel they really don't eat much grain. I live in a neighborhood and they really don't make any noise. The key is not having roosters, and finding quiet calm breeds.

My Sister has had Chickens off and on for years, last of the most recent flock died last fall, she hasn't gotten any more yet.
generally 8 at a time, and the Variety she gets...Barred Rock?...are just layers...they'll lay themselves to death. by the end (2-3 years) there's nothing left worth butchering.

Back