Uptime for Android devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: surfstar
I'll ruin it for you:
29:20:xx and counting

I routinely turn off my Razr M when I'm out of service range to conserve battery.

Have you tried Juice Defender? When set on aggressive, this characteristic should be minimized.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
I'll play. 271 hours.

Uptime on my Samsung S3..173 hours..I let the battery go dead after failing to plug it in overnight.

Reading this thread reminded me that my Galaxy S3 hasn't prompted me for its weekly reboot for some time. Sure enough, it's been up for a while, 636:52:30 as of this post, on Android 4.1.2 (I believe they call that Jellybean).

Honestly I think I got a lemon Samsung Droid at work. I honestly do almost nothing but check my outlook mail and very light
web surfing, texting, and calling.

Darn thing bombs at LEAST twice a day. I have not installed ANY apps. It is very difficult to type with. It will not hold a charge all day. My wife has a 4s Iphone and IMHO it is superior in every last way to my phone. We are getting new phones in a month or so, I ordered the Razr droid, I hope it is better than this glorified paperweight. And oh yeah I tried to read the uptime, but the darn thing bombed on me...can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:
Not one of my Android devices lasts more than 2 weeks up time.

As simple_gifts mentioned, it's all about the apps. On the iPhone, my favorite game, Zynga's Matching With Friends, had a memory leak, would get a week out of it in the past, now a couple months between reboots.

On the Windows XP side, found a computer that has a 977 day uptime.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I was going to play, but where do you find that on an iPhone?

Downloaded an app called system status lite (free).

The truth is that before Android 4.0, pulling batteries and doing factory resets was pretty common. Android has come a long way and I think at this point, stock for stock, Android 4.3 is a more enjoyable experience than iOS 6.

The horrible taste of so many android phones came from the terrible user interfaces thrown together by manufactures. The best Android experience is the one that is closest to what Google gives you, stock Android.

I'm at 116:41 right now. Generally I find a reason to reboot every now and again although this phone has been doing a lot better than my last phone.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2, 4.1.2

Originally Posted By: jigen
The truth is that before Android 4.0, pulling batteries and doing factory resets was pretty common. Android has come a long way and I think at this point, stock for stock, Android 4.3 is a more enjoyable experience than iOS 6.

The horrible taste of so many android phones came from the terrible user interfaces thrown together by manufactures. The best Android experience is the one that is closest to what Google gives you, stock Android.

Not to mention the carriers themselves choking Android down by disabling features that came stock because they offer a version of that feature and charge for it. Cough VZW Cough

Originally Posted By: jigen

Gotta agree on this for the most part. On my S3 I'm running CyanogenMod 10.1.2 stable (4.2.2) and it is rock-solid. Using the NOVA launcher. The phone is very different from the Samsung release builds and I greatly prefer it this way
thumbsup2.gif

My uptime isn't great at the moment (can't contribute to the thread) as I just flashed the latest modem on Sunday, which of course required a reboot. Prior to that the uptime had to be at least a month, maybe two (whenever 10.1.2 came out).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
94 hours... i had to shut it down as i was flying.

On that subject...

A couple years ago I happened to sit next to a uniformed Pilot on a flight. The pilot flipped his phone to airplane mode and the locked the screen and put it in his pocket. Up until then I had always completely powered down my phones and tablet.

Since then, I've never shut the devices off, just switched them to airplane mode.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
94 hours... i had to shut it down as i was flying.

On that subject...

A couple years ago I happened to sit next to a uniformed Pilot on a flight. The pilot flipped his phone to airplane mode and the locked the screen and put it in his pocket. Up until then I had always completely powered down my phones and tablet.

Since then, I've never shut the devices off, just switched them to airplane mode.

They do tell the masses sometimes thart airplane mode isnt good enough...

They say it on every flight I'm on that electronics need to be off from take-off to 10k feet and after 10k feet in airplane mode.

Unless you have to reboot more than once a week I think "Uptime" is totally irrelevant.

Blackberry Torch, Soon to be upgraded to a Nokia Lumia 1020.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Statements have been made that Android phones need to be rebooted daily, batteries pulled and over all the operation is poor.

Just for the record, this may be true, but I don't think it's very representative. It's true that many of us have had poor experiences with Android phones, and that we did have to reboot often and pull batteries, but I don't think anyone's made the statement that all Android phones are like that. People (myself included) have simply shared their/our experience with it.

I'm sure people have had poor luck with iPhones. I know you have, Bill. But I also know that you're not saying that every iPhone is like that. You simply had a bad experience. It will happen with every platform.

Old experiences on both iOS and Android are probably obsolete now. Technology moves quickly and old bugs get worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back