Uptime for Android devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting this thread as it seems to be indicated in the past in a few threads that Android devices need to be rebooted daily or often, battery pulled since they lock up and reset often because of the "inferior" OS.

I'd like for folks to list their uptime (found in; about device, status, Up time in settings) and how overall their operating seems to be. Device info and OS level would be helpful.

I'll start with 4 devices. Photos are great but just entering would be fine!

Sorry for the slightly blurred photos..

Wifes Samsung S4 Jellybean

l1ud.jpg

851 hours (just in case the images don't show up)

My Samsung SII Jellybean

uc61.jpg

1266 hours

Daughters Samsung SII Jellybean

d8e.JPG

447 hours

Samsung Galaxy tab 3 8.0 Jellybean

6jrb.JPG

549 hours

Of course if you let them run low of the battery they reset as that is what has happened on the last two.

Thanks in advance for the data!

Bill

The OS has nothing to do with a perceived daily reboot requirement; it is the junky apps that people write for it. Processes that allocate memory and then never properly release it (memory leak) As the app is used more, it keeps allocating memory until the OS is forced to start paging (copying referenced and used memory/data pages into and out of memory)

The linux kernel is bullet proof reliable and is used in many high transactional environments where millisecond response time is required (trading e.g)

-T

Most I ever did on my Droid RAZR (rooted 4.1.2, stock Verizon ROM) was about 240 hours. Bluetooth started getting wonky so I had to reboot it.

I dont get it. There is so much more to this than just OS.

We know you hate most anything apple. So what's funny is that mac has a unix based OS just like droid. Oh, cousins, whaddayaknow? I suspect iOS is similar.

How about those computers running evil windows that only get rebooted when the power goes out? Like PCs that are doing some process control? Oh that's evil windows running that long, and isnt even Unix based!!! Oh wait, its also in a benign environment with top-notch hardware (and probably with less than SOA specs).

So much more to systems engineering and designing robust and resilient systems than one silly metric, regardless of what it is.

Im sure droid has had its share of bugs, as has most every OS, embedded or otherwise. And Im sure some systems have been unreliable. But there are lots of reasons for it, and Im just not sure what a screen shot of an uptime number is going to prove.

How do we know how heavily used the devices giving screenshots are? Depending upon what Im doing, I can pull GB of data through a device in a day, others dont pull more than a few MB on their data plans in a month. What apps are running? How does bad code on an app affect stability? What about other conditions? Temperature?

To make any heads and tails of this we would need to know GB of data run since last start, apps utilized, etc as well. Starts to get complex. Are we looking at "garage queens", "grandma's" or severe service to use a car analogy???

Okay I'm not going to get into a contest with anyone. Statements have been made that Android phones need to be rebooted daily, batteries pulled and over all the operation is poor.

I'm showing that the opposite is true for some of us.

Its not a Apple vs Android like you just made it. I happen to have a few Apple devices but unlike quite a few here don't drink the koolaid and have BOTH systems so I CAN compare.

Just amazing.... I'm done with this thread...

I don't get it either. So what your phones stay booted for a long time? Like everyone else said, it has a lot to do with what you have installed on the phone. If my Windows computers didn't have any software installed I probably wouldn't ever have to reboot them.

I have both Android and iPhones, plus Windows computers, a Mac desktop and a Macbook. They all benefit from regular reboots to at least refresh the memory from whatever may have not released it. Even my Macintosh computers benefit, the difference can be noticeable.

I guess like large tailpipe finishers on diesel trucks, I didn't know I was supposed to be impressed by long uptimes.

Bill,

No reason to be done. Its clear what contingent would have an agenda against droid devices - so let's just be transparent.

And discuss. This is a discussion forum and one meant for technical talk about consumer electronics. Nothing wrong with a bit of peer review.

Im just commenting on the comedy of some of it, given that its all a unix-type background... And also the comedy from another example - evil windows.

So just call all the spades, spades.

I know I have to pull the battery on my BB often and never reboot my iOS device. Id suspect that a well-made droid device with a well coded and compiled kernel wouldnt need a reboot either. Its no different than other stuff that I run that has embedded unix-like backbones. And if BB is similar (I dont know) then shame on my BB. Pandabear (expert in the industry) talks about reference designs and then modifications to them. Ill bet that on an open source OS, this doubles the challenge to HW and SW. What's so tough to grasp on that, or why get spun up over it?

I still come back to the basic premise - lots of other parameters to it than just if droid is good/bad.

Lol, my Blackberry was the worst yet I really liked it. I had an app for it that would automatically reboot the phone every morning at 2:00 AM just so I didn't have to do it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I know I have to pull the battery on my BB often and never reboot my iOS device. Id suspect that a well-made droid device wouldnt need a reboot either. Its no different than other stuff that I run that has embedded unix-like backbones. And if BB is similar (I dont know) then shame on my BB.

We know you hate most anything apple. So what's funny is that mac has a unix based OS just like droid. Oh, cousins, whaddayaknow? I suspect iOS is similar.

Android being UNIX is a bit of a stretch. It is built on a heavily-customized Linux kernel with a ton of Java stuff. Linux is considered "Unix-like".

Splitting hairs, I know, but Android != UNIX in my mind.

Wow, one post that mentions Apple and you are "done" with the thread? JHZR2's post wasn't accusing or inflammatory, nor was it argumentative. Your response makes me think you did come here to pick a fight despite saying it wasn't. He didn't just make it anything.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Okay I'm not going to get into a contest with anyone. Statements have been made that Android phones need to be rebooted daily, batteries pulled and over all the operation is poor.

I'm showing that the opposite is true for some of us.

Its not a Apple vs Android like you just made it. I happen to have a few Apple devices but unlike quite a few here don't drink the koolaid and have BOTH systems so I CAN compare.

Just amazing.... I'm done with this thread...

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Lol, my Blackberry was the worst yet I really liked it. I had an app for it that would automatically reboot the phone every morning at 2:00 AM just so I didn't have to do it.

I know I have to pull the battery on my BB often and never reboot my iOS device. Id suspect that a well-made droid device wouldnt need a reboot either. Its no different than other stuff that I run that has embedded unix-like backbones. And if BB is similar (I dont know) then shame on my BB.

Love the keyboard (will be sad when work goes away from BBs to an iOS/Droid system with a flat screen and no keyboard), but it can be flaky. My older ones werent.

Is it fair to start a thread, and then announce your done with it by the third post?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Linux is considered "Unix-like".

Splitting hairs, I know, but Android != UNIX in my mind.

I definitely took some liberties there, for sure. But trying to find some element of commonality. Plus my linux stuff (run large M&S systems that operate with real-time I/O and MANY cores, really complex systems) is solid, so no agenda here, even if I dont care for aspects of many of the droid devices. Consumer choice and Im happy with it. Neither kool-aid or agenda.

Yeah, the iPhone screen is weird if you have always had a keyboard like I did, but I found out that you don't have to be precise. The software makes up for fat-fingering very well, you just tap away and it is surprising how it most always ends up correct. At first I was tediously trying to hit the right "key" each time with micro-precision, and that took so much time I thought I was going to die before I sent a whole text. Like you have probably found out, you just bang away and let the phone figure it out.

Love the keyboard (will be sad when work goes away from BBs to an iOS/Droid system with a flat screen and no keyboard), but it can be flaky. My older ones werent.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Yeah, the iPhone screen is weird if you have always had a keyboard like I did, but I found out that you don't have to be precise. The software makes up for fat-fingering very well. You just tap away and it is surprising how it most always ends up correct.

My wife is always amazed how fast I can type on my iphone... But that's OT for the basic discussion.

Yeah sorry for going off topic. OK, back to your regularly scheduled flame war
blush.gif

Just remember that auto-correct can be your worst enema.

Well from a computer standpoint, the IBM mainframe has a MTBF of about 19 years and if you have a parallel sysplex and cycle in operating system changes one system at a time, you can go many many years before you would need to restart the entire sysplex.

You have a phone app for your mainframe?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Well from a computer standpoint, the IBM mainframe has a MTBF of about 19 years and if you have a parallel sysplex and cycle in operating system changes one system at a time, you can go many many years before you would need to restart the entire sysplex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back