UPS that automatically restart?

Precisely.
What precisely is your budget and how critical is this auto restart?
250 would get you a refurb SMT750

after that they start around 500$

is it that important or just replace the current battery for 25 bucks and turn it back on manually if it has an outage long enough to kill it.

What precisely is your budget and how critical is this auto restart?
250 would get you a refurb SMT750

after that they start around 500$

is it that important or just replace the current battery for 25 bucks and turn it back on manually if it has an outage long enough to kill it.
Those prices are excessive for my needs. Nothing is mission critical.

Yes these are options. For now I spent $40 for two batteries, but obviously something that will at least still push mains power through when power is back woukd be nice.

I saw this when I was looking...

1696020259028.jpg

Last edited:
I have a cyber power 1350va ups that I keep a few small loads on. Over the years the batteries have gone bad, because they show fine and full but if power drops the ups will shut down and not come back on.

Does anyone have an UPS that they know has fully depleted and comes back on when the mains power is restored?
My APC comes back on . After 10 years battery kicked and it was only $60 to replace.

My APC comes back on . After 10 years battery kicked and it was only $60 to replace.

That is fairly worthless without 2 additional pieces of info.

What is your apc model?

Does it come back on if its on battery long enough to go dead? (during power outage)

Cyberpower also "come back on" but not if the battery is dead.

AFAIK APC smart ups does come back on.. even if the battery has went dead.
I think my regular APC didnt. but not positive. back-ups 1300 xs.

Yes these are options. For now I spent $40 for two batteries, but obviously something that will at least still push mains power through when power is back woukd be nice.
I have to ask.. what brand of replacement batteries did you go with?

That is fairly worthless without 2 additional pieces of info.

What is your apc model?

Does it come back on if its on battery long enough to go dead? (during power outage)

Cyberpower also "come back on" but not if the battery is dead.

AFAIK APC smart ups does come back on.. even if the battery has went dead.
I think my regular APC didnt. but not positive. back-ups 1300 xs.
My APC does come back from the dead 💀.

Very old XS-1000G might be different with new : https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA158943/

I have to ask.. what brand of replacement batteries did you go with?
Some cheap expert power 12v9 batteries.

In a professional role I’m working to get LiFePO4 12v9 all domestic made drop in batteries. But not today.

None of the SLA variants are very good, included those used in MIL-STD UPS.

Some cheap expert power 12v9 batteries.

In a professional role I’m working to get LiFePO4 12v9 all domestic made drop in batteries. But not today.

None of the SLA variants are very good, included those used in MIL-STD UPS.
ahh the brand I've been using.. well at least I could help you save some $$$ right now. (y)

When you do find a decent UPS definitely let us know. I'd like to get something better, I did try and upgrade my older CyberPower UPS (pure sine wave) and the newer CyberPower was burning something off, toxic smell, had to return it. That's when I just upgraded the batteries in my old one, at least the old one keeps the power to the computer system when the a/c goes out! sheesh..

Just like car parts lately, it's a race to the bottom with junk out there.. just crazy.

Until the majority of consumers stop shopping on price, that's what we get.
That’s true, I didn’t really know what I was buying years ago.

For now I have this one refreshed and will shop for something else.

The loads on this thing aren’t mission critical, and aren’t more than 50W, so some $500 UPS just doesn’t make sense IMO. But one that will pass power through when it comes back on does.

It's a design decision, not a defect. After an extended outage you don't want to try to restart the computer unless there is some charge in the UPS battery. A second outage could have the battery run out without time to make an orderly shutdown. So they charge and test the battery before coming back on. If the battery is defective it may not come back on. This is different from the battery being run down, in which case it would charge and eventually automatically start up the load.

It's a design decision, not a defect. After an extended outage you don't want to try to restart the computer unless there is some charge in the UPS battery. A second outage could have the battery run out without time to make an orderly shutdown. So they charge and test the battery before coming back on. If the battery is defective it may not come back on. This is different from the battery being run down, in which case it would charge and eventually automatically start up the load.
That’s a fair point, and something I’ll test with the new batteries.

Problem is, for better or worse, our power is so reliable that it can be years between an outage, and the UPS doesn’t seem to realize that the capacity is lost/degraded.

Back