Universal Coolants

I had a GMC Sierra I got from my Dad a long time ago. At around 150K (original coolant) I did a dump and flush with DI Water. Several cycles until water drained was crystal clear. Went to a 50/50 mix with Peak Global Lifetime after that. Installed a new thermostat and water pump also. I was worried about the Dexcool. So, worked out fine. Never had an issue.

Did any car that came with Dexcool from the factory have a non-pressurized coolant overflow tank?
The 2003 to 2005 mazda mazda6 had dexcool as factory fill, 18 psi cap and atmospheric pressure expansion tank.

They never had any issues with it. In my experience the japanese coolant versions of this same car eventually had waterpump shaft seal failure after 120,000 miles or 8-10 years, the dexcool ones never suffered that.

But then again, it has to be changed at a 5 or 6 yr mark or atleast redosed by more than 50% replacement or nowadays with the motorcraft product, if left alone till its spent out and no service is done it will corrode stuff just like any POAT, HOAT coolant.

Just changed a waterpump today on a similar car, its issue was a flattened oring only (customer preffered pump changed due to age). New aisin pump went in and a fresh dose of dexcool. System was shiny clean inside.

So wasn't Ford orange Dexcool and now Ford has something better being Ford yellow. Not sure what the difference is, just that Ford yellow lasts longer and does not need an additive after 60K miles in a PSD.

So wasn't Ford orange Dexcool and now Ford has something better being Ford yellow. Not sure what the difference is, just that Ford yellow lasts longer and does not need an additive after 60K miles in a PSD.
Ford yellow is more close to toyota/honda/nissan coolants in formulation.

The 2003 to 2005 mazda mazda6 had dexcool as factory fill, 18 psi cap and atmospheric pressure expansion tank.

WHAT? :eek:

I didn't know that! Did that Mazda6 really come with orange coolant from the factory? Ford used both orange (Dexcool/Deathcool) and gold (G05) at the time :unsure:

Ford would eventually rebadge the 6 as a Fusion, which I believe came with Mazda green (called "Specialty Green" by Ford), and Ford still sold that green coolant until recently.

The Fusion came with a pressurized expansion tank, while the Mazda did not! Also, the V6 Mazda6 does have a pressurized coolant tank, probably because the V6 is from Ford.

Also, GM's NUMMI cars (rebadged Toyotas) came with Toyota coolants from the factory, but GM owner's manuals say to use GM coolants. The 2003 Vibe owner's manual says to use 1825M (green), 2004+ says Dexcool/Deathcool. However, they were filled with Toyota red or pink at the factory.

Last edited:
WHAT? :eek:

I didn't know that! Did that Mazda6 really come with orange coolant from the factory? Ford used both orange (Dexcool/Deathcool) and gold (G05) at the time :unsure:

Ford would eventually rebadge the 6 as a Fusion, which I believe came with Mazda green (called "Specialty Green" by Ford), and Ford still sold that green coolant until recently.

The Fusion came with a pressurized expansion tank, while the Mazda did not! Also, the V6 Mazda6 does have a pressurized coolant tank, probably because the V6 is from Ford.

Also, GM's NUMMI cars (rebadged Toyotas) came with Toyota coolants from the factory, but GM owner's manuals say to use GM coolants. The 2003 Vibe owner's manual says to use 1825M (green), 2004+ says Dexcool/Deathcool. However, they were filled with Toyota red or pink at the factory.
The first productions 2003-2005 models of the mazda6 made in USA (milk mustache grille) were indeed filled with the orange dexcool. The same cars that came from Japan had the old mazda
green coolant, The old mazda green is very close to toyota red or Honda Type1 or nissan green.

Those cars suffered badly as quick lube shops would add American IAT green coolant to it (looked exactly the same) and caused gelling.

Dexcool came out in 1996 IIRC and it was a Texaco product that GM used. The intake gasket material in some cars didn't play well with Dexcool but the problem was solved with upgraded gasket materials. I would agree that Dexcool/Dexclones would probably work well in most modern vehicles if properly flushed of all other coolants before filling your system with a 50/50 mix of it.
Prestone Cor-Guard and Peak 10x are now pHOATs, I’d be leery using Prestone or a generic AMAM coolant in a Toyota or other engine where RTV is sealing the coolant passages. But if the cooling system is sealed with materials that aren’t silicone RTV or silicone beads on a metal/nylon carrier, I don’t see why not. FWIW, I have Prestone in a Toyota - no leaks from the valley plate that’s also the thermostat housing, itself sealed with RTV.

2-EHA has been known to attack silicone - the old GM IMGs were silicone beads on a PA66/GF33 carrier. The Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus and GM OE service gaskets are FKM on stainless steel.

Reactions: pbm
The Ford 'Yellow' is basically Prestone 'Cor-Guard' and the difference over their Orange stuff is that phosphates are now in the formula just like in PEAK 10X. The Prestone Cor-Guard still has 2-EHA while the PEAK 10X does not.
I have Prestone in a Toyota - no leaks from the valley plate that’s also the thermostat housing, itself sealed with RTV.

I replaced the OE Toyota coolant in my 2008 Corolla with PEAK Global Lifetime (PGL) several years ago (at approx. 75K) and have had zero issues. I did replace the PGL with more PGL based on time not mileage a couple of years ago (it's now a condo car and sits for most of the year). The Corolla is running well at 138K.

The Ford 'Yellow' is basically Prestone 'Cor-Guard' and the difference over their Orange stuff is that phosphates are now in the formula just like in PEAK 10X. The Prestone Cor-Guard still has 2-EHA while the PEAK 10X does not.

I replaced the OE Toyota coolant in my 2008 Corolla with PEAK Global Lifetime (PGL) several years ago (at approx. 75K) and have had zero issues. I did replace the PGL with more PGL based on time not mileage a couple of years ago (it's now a condo car and sits for most of the year). The Corolla is running well at 138K.
Does the Ford yellow have 2-EHA?

Yep. Ford did back-spec it for their Mazda-powered applications too. @bdcardinal said Ford no longer stocks Motorcraft Speciality Green coolant, aka Mazda FL-22.
I still have a stash. We are doing inventory today and in the prep I found the stash. Some customers will not believe in fluid supercessions no matter how much documentation you provide.

I still have a stash. We are doing inventory today and in the prep I found the stash. Some customers will not believe in fluid supercessions no matter how much documentation you provide.
Same thing happened when the Motorcraft orange turned into the yellow. I took the orange off the shelf and stashed it for people that refuse to understand.

This is why there are small plastic barrels of the peak global lifetime coolant concentrate in our shop, it just works.

I did an electrolysis test on a car that we filled in 2015 (old customer who moved out of state and is now back) - it was 0.09v dc on fully warm engine with rad cap off (sienna 07)

You sell parts for Ford and Mazda, right? Doesn't Mazda still make the FL22? Wouldn't you just offer them that instead? :unsure:

Prestone Cor-Guard and Peak 10x are now pHOATs,.....
Having emailed Old World some time ago about the use of (P) in 10X, their response was to the effect that while some P is used, it is not near that used in their no 2eha Asian PHoat AFs.

Also as accurately noted by @pbm 10X does not use 2eha as inhibitor in their formula, never has. Afaik, Prestone still using 2eha in CoreGuard AF.

If I was choosing a "universal" AF, 10X concentrate it would be.

As for Ford with Motorcraft AFs, in my observation they have changed and/or superseded AF recommendations so many times, makes my head spin. Can't keep up. I guess the latest is use of yellow clone of Prestone Corguard, but don't hold me to it. 😀

You sell parts for Ford and Mazda, right? Doesn't Mazda still make the FL22? Wouldn't you just offer them that instead? :unsure:
Have you encountered a “genuine parts fanatic”?

Try selling GM dexcool for topup to a Ford truck owner whose vehicle has motorcraft orange in it.

You will know.

Replace dexcool with mz fl22 for speciality green to the situation above.

This is why there are small plastic barrels of the peak global lifetime coolant concentrate in our shop, it just works.

I did an electrolysis test on a car that we filled in 2015 (old customer who moved out of state and is now back) - it was 0.09v dc on fully warm engine with rad cap off (sienna 07)
By "small plastic barrels" do you mean the 55 gallon drums? Also, nice to hear the experience with that 07 Sienna, sounds like PGL is living up to it's "lifetime" name quite well. How many miles have logged on that 8-9 year run?

Back