Understanding TSBs regarding oil (Yaris)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: weasley
Here's the TSB.

It's pretty clear about the years and engines. It also looks very USA-centric to me, so not sure if it applies in the UK/Europe? This isn't stated but OEMs often have different TSBs and recalls in different regions.

That's for the USDM only, does not apply to Europe.

Originally Posted By: geetar
Hi all,

Since then, I've bought another Yaris, this time with the 1NZ-FE engine and noticed the oil recommendation in the handbook is 10w30.

If it's anything like my Yaris those handbooks list a range of oils for various temperatures. I would suggest that it is saying that 10W-30 is ok for your car, (i.e. your temperatures don't go as low as for when you actually NEED 5W-30) but why not use it? Lower viscosity on startup is better. It's only going to get less viscous as it heats up to working temperature. Why not have a lower viscosity/better penetration from startup?

Originally Posted By: geetar
Well the handbook says 5w30 is only good for climates up to 10 deg C.

I think you're reading it wrong. It's good for climates down to the end of the arrow. The upper end - it doesn't have an upper end.

The 5W signifies oil viscosity on startup (i.e. cold). The 30 end signifies viscosity at operating temperature. If both oils are 30 weight at operating temp, the less viscous one when cold is the better oil.

What's oil temp during use? 100 degrees C? Outside temperature won't influence it that much. Driving a car on the highway at 0 degrees and at 40 degrees is going to have pretty much the same oil temp. Outside temperatures have more influence at startup, and during heavy use.

Last edited:
Buy any decent 5W-30 and stop worrying about it. Once upon a time 5W-30 oils were more prone to viscosity degradation than were 10W-30 oils of similar brand and vintage. With any modern spec oil from a major supplier that is pretty much a thing of the past.

The chart in the 2000 owners manual was probably a copy and paste of charts used for many years before than.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back