Uncommon operating systems/ program languages still in use that were designed in the last century

Punch cards? New language comes every day and the one still being used all the time are the winners, the not so useful ones got obsoleted and often system ported to new ones.

It's wild how many organizations are out there trying to keep ancient OSs going that are held together with chicken wire and duct tape. The folks that know how to write code for them and keep them going are becoming harder and harder to find.

Probably not still in use, but back in the mid-80's my department bought a fancy computer for use in product testing. I was the young guy, fresh out of school with *some* experience in computers (FORTRAN, BASIC, and a tiny bit of 8085 assembly), so I was expected to figure it out, which I never did.

The thing ran FORTH, which was a niche language. We ended up using it in a project we contracted out to a small company. One of the brainiacs ended up "re-writing the O/S" as it was told to me.

Reactions: GON
Back