Uber/Lyft Destroyed The Taxi Industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the same everywhere in the world. Take a Didi in Shanghai and you'll get a newer, clean car with a driver who already speaks or is learning English. Take a cab and it's 50-100% more expensive, generally dirty, and a lot less comfortable - if you can find one.

Some years ago, the British government gave a taxi license to a convicted rapist, because why not?

A year or so later, he was caught robbing and raping the local hookers when they used his taxi to get home.

I've never used Uber, but I don't see why they would be any worse than the taxi system that already exists. At least the rapist driver would be easy to track down in that case.

Years ago being picked up @ O'hare by a Taxi to my Hotel. The "dirty" Taxi driver TRIED to charge me an "Airport fee". But I pointed out the sticker ON THE WINDOW OF HIS CAR that it was a fee TO the airport, Not FROM the airport. He staid quite rest of the trip and of course no tip for his [censored] lol

See that's the thing. When I drove for Flash Taxi in Chicago, we really didn't care about the tip. We were already making money on you. lol

]

emg said:
Some years ago, the British government gave a taxi license to a convicted rapist, because why not?

Sir, we are not the proper British. We are just Chicago residents trying to make a living.

Here is food for thought: why were taxi medallions worth up to $1M in New York City?

That's the expected profit from operating a single cab. (Net present value of the expected profit, with much coming from the government enforced scarcity.) And it sucks all of the profit out of the system, as most operating revenue goes to paying financing for the medallion.

There were several evil side-effects of the system. The high price of a medallion means that it needs to used to its fullest, which means that the cab is put on the street as long as possible. It means that medallion owner is rarely the driver. Instead it is (was) the goal for drivers, where they were hoping that after 20 years they could buy one and be the boss, and have it as their retirement investment.

Uber rides are often a better deal for Uber than the drivers, but it's better than the medallion systems.

It's discrimination against the people who owned the highly sought after medallions. Often times, they were family heirlooms that were passed on from generation. Of course, the fact that most of the owners were minorities didn't mean much. In big cities, it was a systematic racism that destroyed the industry.

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Talking about Chicago cabs........

Years ago being picked up @ O'hare by a Taxi to my Hotel. The "dirty" Taxi driver TRIED to charge me an "Airport fee". But I pointed out the sticker ON THE WINDOW OF HIS CAR that it was a fee TO the airport, Not FROM the airport. He staid quite rest of the trip and of course no tip for his [censored] lol

I'm also from Chicago and it was well known cabbies have a BAD stigma of driving like morons and trying to rip off general public. They've been screwing over the public for decades !! Glad they're the getting a HARD douse of KARMA.

On a related note, Yellow cab division just went out of business in OKC a few weeks ago, No one batted a eye lol

Dave

You haven't lived till you've had a Chicago taxi cab cut you off then yell at you like it's your fault!

Anyone who claims about an Uber experience, I feel like they deserve it. Does it really matter if you get into a 2015 Toyota Camry or a 2009 Toyota Camry??? The fleets that run that taxi cab industry in Chicago at are 24/7. The legit taxi cabs in Chicago are some of the safest cars you can get into!

You haven't lived till you've had a Chicago taxi cab cut you off then yell at you like it's your fault![/quote]

And you haven't lived until a Chicago Police officer calls you every name in the book as you make an illegal U-turn to get the next ride. Mind you, they didn't ticket me, just cursed at me. lol

Originally Posted by Willclark
https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-new...r-college-student-s-murder-1469367363813

^^^Stuff like this is happening on a weekly basis. I suspect that the average consumer had a issue with the taxi driver being from Pakistan, India, Russia, South Africa, Korea, Nigeria, ect....Many Uber customers are just happy that their driver is someone they can relate to. Never mind, the fact that the Uber/Lyft driver, is barely making over minimum wage after all the costs. I worked 3 shifts a week as a taxi driver and made good money. A 12 hour shift would bring me in 200-300 a day. And I wasn't using my own vehicle. Of course, when it comes to insurance that is a whole other issue with Uber drivers. Uber only covers so much, the rest is on their personal insurance.

Most taxi drivers aren't treated any better than Uber treats their drivers. NYC and Chicago are essentially the only exceptions, and I think New York's tax drivers are unionized. Outside those two cities, cabbies are no better off than Uber/Lyft

Funny how people that drive for a living are the worst drivers on the road. Doesn't matter if they're in a taxi or have an Uber/Lyft decal stuck to their windshield.

Most taxi drivers aren't treated any better than Uber treats their drivers.

In Chicago we are 1099 employees. We actually lease the vehicles from the various taxi agencies. After our initial 12 hour rental of the vehicle, we are 100% profit.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Funny how people that drive for a living are the worst drivers on the road. Doesn't matter if they're in a taxi or have an Uber/Lyft decal stuck to their windshield.

Not true, the worst folks driving are those in the 70-85 range. I think there should me a mandatory drivers license ending at the age of 70.

It's discrimination against the people who owned the highly sought after medallions. Often times, they were family heirlooms that were passed on from generation. Of course, the fact that most of the owners were minorities didn't mean much. In big cities, it was a systematic racism that destroyed the industry.

Um, that's not how a free market works. It's not the job of us customers to protect economic dynasties.

Originally Posted by dishdude

Not true, the worst folks driving are those in the 70-85 range. I think there should me a mandatory drivers license ending at the age of 70.

Only second to taxi companies. If you encounter one of these green discount cabs on the road, don't go near it! They really should equip their vehicles with turn signals, mirrors, windows, brakes and a steering wheel...and someone that knows how to operate an automobile.

[Linked Image]

Um, that's not how a free market works. It's not the job of us customers to protect economic dynasties.[/quote]

As an Uber customer, I hope you enjoy ripping them off. Every Uber driver I know, regrets it after 1 year. So, kudos to you, for taking advantage of the "free market". I bet your the type who goes to the "early bird" special dinner also?

Put me in the club that isn't sad to see Taxi's die... Ripped off a few too many times.

I'm not going to say Uber is perfect - it isn't. But the days of Taxi's having NO competition mercifully are over. And for the Uber stories, it isn't hard to go find similar stories about Taxis. One can kid themselves all they want...

As far as the value of medallions, who guaranteed anything to anyone as to what they where worth? Businesses change over time, and the Taxi business is no exception. How many other long time businesses failed to adapt and have died in recent years? A lot of them...

Um, that's not how a free market works. It's not the job of us customers to protect economic dynasties.

As an Uber customer, I hope you enjoy ripping them off. Every Uber driver I know, regrets it after 1 year. So, kudos to you, for taking advantage of the "free market". I bet your the type who goes to the "early bird" special dinner also? [/quote]

Curious how a business offering a service for a price that is defined to me the customer before I purchase it is ripping anyone off? Did anyone force these poor souls to be Uber drivers? Did anyone force the restaurant to offer the early bird special?

I for one am glad for the competition. Sounds like Willclark is a first class taxi driver, but in my experience he is the exception.

The idustry is overdue for change, Uber may not be the answer, perhaps it will be driverless cabs?

Do I care about the out of work proffesional taxi drivers? Do I care about those that earned a livingfrom record of DVD stores?

Times change perhaps for the better, perhaps the worse, but it was never a pleasure to be in a taxi cab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back