Uber/Lyft Destroyed The Taxi Industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NYC taxis like to rush back to Manhattan where it's the most profitable and the credit card machines are perpetually "broken". They even had to create special green taxis for the outer boros. At least New York has usable public transit

I think Chicago is like a mini NYC. A lot of taxi drivers preferred waiting in line at Ohare & Midway airport. I liked many short trips in the Wrigleyville area. I didn't mind credit card because I think people always tend to tip more on credit cards than cash. If the credit card machines are "broken", I guarantee there is a number you could call to complain. It seems like anyone with a car, license and insurance could drive for Uber. it frightens me.

Cab drivers always seem to argue about payment method and act like you spit in their face because you need to pay with credit card.

Uber/Lyft -- the transaction is handled quietly on the phone, I know the cost ahead of time, and I don't have to worry about having cash on hand.

Originally Posted by Willclark
A couple of people I know that tried the full time Uber route really regret it. They put UBER miles on their nice vehicles and never made as much as they thought. I treat my vehicle like it's it's my home and would never allow strange people in it.

My daughter and her husband both deliver pizzas. Pizzas don't puke in her car.

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by Willclark
A couple of people I know that tried the full time Uber route really regret it. They put UBER miles on their nice vehicles and never made as much as they thought. I treat my vehicle like it's it's my home and would never allow strange people in it.

My daughter and her husband both deliver pizzas. Pizzas don't puke in her car.

I agree it's better. They probably don't put as many miles on their vehicles either. Another thing, is when I drove a taxi my Crown Victoria was strictly inspected every year. Sure some of them had 300,000+ mile son them but they were safe vehicles. The inspection on current Uber vehicles is marginal and dangerous.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Uber has destroyed the taxi cartel...and it's about time.

My family has worked in the taxi industry their entire lives and I find this comment offensive.

Originally Posted by OILJUNKIE
The automobile destroyed the buggy whip industry.

Uber and Lyft drivers will be replaced by autonomous vehicles.

Oh please. As a weekly business traveler, people were desperate for anything to get them out of taxi's. It didn't have to be better, just had to take away the "how bad am I going to get taken" feeling EVERY time you got in a taxi. Didin't matter what city. Sure once in a rare while you got a good one, but it was the exception by far, not the rule.

Just having an app, knowing what you are going to pay in advance, and also having a record of who you were with, takes away the rip off environment that cab drivers flourished in. The thought that it's somehow uber/lyfts "fault" is mind boggling.

I used taxis extensively in my old corporate days and was ripped off on several occasions. The drivers could tell I was from out-of-town, and, as I later found out, would purposely take the longer routes. A lot of cabs were also dirty and the drivers were rude.

I've taken Uber/Lyft rides many times and have never had a problem. The cars are clean, drivers friendly, and they always follow the GPS route. I always tip the drivers well because the rideshare companies exploit them.

You may be the exception, OP, but I've been in enough bad taxi rides that I was glad to have a choice. So far, the many Uber rides I've taken have been better and cheaper than any taxi ride I've ever been in. And I've been in a lot.

I changed careers a few times when I was working. Sometimes we have to adapt as situations change.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-new...r-college-student-s-murder-1469367363813

^^^Stuff like this is happening on a weekly basis. I suspect that the average consumer had a issue with the taxi driver being from Pakistan, India, Russia, South Africa, Korea, Nigeria, ect....Many Uber customers are just happy that their driver is someone they can relate to. Never mind, the fact that the Uber/Lyft driver, is barely making over minimum wage after all the costs. I worked 3 shifts a week as a taxi driver and made good money. A 12 hour shift would bring me in 200-300 a day. And I wasn't using my own vehicle. Of course, when it comes to insurance that is a whole other issue with Uber drivers. Uber only covers so much, the rest is on their personal insurance.

I'm not saying uber is perfect but it is just so easy, you need a ride, a ride shows up, no money passes hands, it's over. Done.

I arrived in Vegas the other day, they don't let the uber drivers pull up close like the taxis at the airport. Doesn't matter, people walk right past the taxis, up four floors, dragging your bag another half mile, just to get the uber. Never even crossed any of our minds to go to one of the 50 empty taxis that were sitting right there waiting outside the airport door.

I feel bad for taxi drivers, I do, but it's over. And you know what? It could happen to all of us...whatever we do can be threatened and replaced. It's kind of scary and there's no stopping it from happening.

Never had an issue with Uber. Always cheaper than a cab and never had a crazy driver yet...guess it depends...i take cabs and Uber depending on availability and what is cheaper...

I feel bad for taxi drivers, I do, but it's over. And you know what? It could happen to all of us...whatever we do can be threatened and replaced. It's kind of scary and there's no stopping it from happening.[/quote]

I agree to a certain point. But in New York City and Chicago, the taxis are still running and making money. Granted, it's not as much but it's still there. I think there will always be a certain population that wants a "professional" experience that you just can't get from a Uber.

Every product or service has a life cycle; the only constant is change.

In the programming line of work I learned to embrace change.
Otherwise you croak.

In every profession or work career you need to look ahead. If and when a subscription vehicle service kicks in that will be the end of Uber and Lyft. That may also greatly affect public transit as well.

Nothing lasts forever.

I'm not sure why I even posted this. I'm like a fish swimming upstream. I always lurk and read about Uber posts. I guess, I'm just trying to give you guys another perspective.

maxdustington said:
In Toronto, ride sharing debuted during a rash of phone thefts and sexual assaults by cab drivers. They dug their own grave with lawlessness and high prices and then were outside city hall protesting as soon as their monopoly was threatened. They are all recent immigrants with bad english, so they drive cabs.

Last time I went via Toronto I had a slow connection so wanted to go to a favorite place to eat. A line of taxi cabs were outside. When I ask for a ride … the guy first up went berserk … that he's holding the number one spot and will not take a short haul. I walked back inside … and yes, he had the beard and head wrap …

I figured. A lot of you members would rather get a ride from a local who comes from the area you live? You guys probably feel it's much safer than dealing with the "taxi man". The majority of Uber drivers are "down on their luck" and are unemployable. It's pretty much their last line of profession from being unemployed.

Talking about Chicago cabs........

Years ago being picked up @ O'hare by a Taxi to my Hotel. The "dirty" Taxi driver TRIED to charge me an "Airport fee". But I pointed out the sticker ON THE WINDOW OF HIS CAR that it was a fee TO the airport, Not FROM the airport. He staid quite rest of the trip and of course no tip for his [censored] lol

I'm also from Chicago and it was well known cabbies have a BAD stigma of driving like morons and trying to rip off general public. They've been screwing over the public for decades !! Glad they're the getting a HARD douse of KARMA.

On a related note, Yellow cab division just went out of business in OKC a few weeks ago, No one batted a eye lol

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back