Uber Eats driver leaves running vehicle in the street

I order Uber Eats about 10 times a month.

Last delivery the driver leaves her vehicle in the street with engine running and was blocking traffic. She opens the driver side door, grabs the bags of food out and walks up to where I'm standing on the sidewalk. By now she blocking 3 cars trying to get around her.

As I saw her stopped in the street I was motioning with my arm to pull up onto the grass swale (for her safety and convenience). I don't care if they pull onto to grass and I prefer the driver stay in their vehicle and simply roll down their passenger side window and give me the food.

The delivery before that.... the guy stops in the on coming lane (might cause head on collision) and gets out of his vehicle to give me my food. Again I was motioning with my arm to pull off the road and onto the swale. On coming cars were blocked and honking their horns.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
33.gif
21.gif

I wish I had my cellphone both times to take a photo of their lack of common sense.

With the Uber Eats app I can see the driver approaching my house and meet them outside so the driver can simply make an easy drop and go delivery WITHOUT having to get out of their car.

Common sense is dead. I delivered to homes for years utilizing everything from cargo vans to straight jobs. Would always scope out the lay of the land, even if it meant circling and coming in the other way to eliminate potential hazards. Amazon prime drivers are the worst. Double parking on the wrong side, on a bend in the road etc. The logic is "I'll only be a minute ." You can fit a lot of collisions in a minute.

A couple weeks ago the delivery girl was scared of my dirt road. She parked over a mile away 1 way and walked the Food to us wearing flip flops in rattlesnake country. When she got to our house she was obviously frazzled.

I did offer a ride back to her car which she refused. I did not have the heart to bring up the snakes on a warm summer evening.

I agree many delivery drivers are not very safe but at the same time I blame a lot of the companies they drive for for preaching speed speed speed. I drove for Jimmy John's and they tracked your average delivery time and if it was too slow you were talked to. How do most drivers figure to make up that lost time? Speed, take risks, cut people off, etc. The scariest part is that none of these drivers I worked with (including myself) knew that we were supposed to buy special commercial insurance to cover us while working. They all just used their liability insurance which is worthless if you are working for a company in your own car.

Can't say I've ever seen that. Even with our suburban streets that can have cars parked on both sides. Typically delivery people pull across a home's driveway and jog up to the door.

Like Whammo said its about speed,speed, speed.Pulling across a driveway or pulling over to the grass entails extra steps, perhaps backing up, whereas just leaving it in a traffic lane is more "efficient". I'll bet they teach that............... time and motion stuff.

I wonder how they handle these mega unit apartment complexes? Some are huge and very confusing.

Last edited:
Even when it's raining I go outside to meet the driver outside mainly cause my German Shepard goes crazy when UPS / Uber driver knocks on the door.

I live on a curved road and some motorists might not expect a car stopped with no hazard lights blinking.

Don't order carry out, then you don't have to deal with a dumb grub hub driver.

Last edited:
Not just Uber drivers. I was in South Philly and a pizza delivery guy just stopped in the middle of the road in front of me to make a delivery. And there was parking spot right in front of the house.

I drove for Domino's way back when it was delivered within 30 minutes or it was free. Those were some fun times. About 80% of the pizzas were delivered in 28 minutes. People were so hoping you'd show up at 31 minutes.

Delivery driving is pretty much the economy now so i guess they can do what they want.

You want deliveries most nights, and you want it as fast as possible without a huge delivery surcharge? This is what you get.

A couple weeks ago the delivery girl was scared of my dirt road. She parked over a mile away 1 way and walked the Food to us wearing flip flops in rattlesnake country. When she got to our house she was obviously frazzled.

I did offer a ride back to her car which she refused. I did not have the heart to bring up the snakes on a warm summer evening.

How bad is your road? :oops:

If these delivery drivers were smarter, they wouldn't be working for below minimum wage. They would be working in some semi-skilled area making $12-15/hour, regular hours and better pay. Most service/trade-based companies are begging for helpers, paying $10 and above. Maybe $10/hour the first week and if you show up the second week with an attitude of bettering yourself, you're gonna make more.

I paid two 13 year olds $10/hour to drag old carpet and pad out of a house I'm cleaning out and wheelbarrowing enough crap from a storage shed in a backyard to fill up a 20yd dumpster. I tried to find some older teenagers/college students, but none wanted to work. So these young kids made $80 cash, got a free lunch at the mexican place and worked in an air conditioned house for 1/2 a day.

If these delivery drivers were smarter, they wouldn't be working for below minimum wage. They would be working in some semi-skilled area making $12-15/hour, regular hours and better pay. Most service/trade-based companies are begging for helpers, paying $10 and above. Maybe $10/hour the first week and if you show up the second week with an attitude of bettering yourself, you're gonna make more.

I paid two 13 year olds $10/hour to drag old carpet and pad out of a house I'm cleaning out and wheelbarrowing enough crap from a storage shed in a backyard to fill up a 20yd dumpster. I tried to find some older teenagers/college students, but none wanted to work. So these young kids made $80 cash, got a free lunch at the mexican place and worked in an air conditioned house for 1/2 a day.

I don't know how much you know about food delivery driving but on a busy shift, with tips, you can easily make $25 per hour, hourly + tips. Moderate shifts you are easily making $16/hr to drive around. Don't knock people holding a job when a lot of their friends are sitting at home making even more money on unemployment.

Back