Two seater ATV's....Opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you get the Polaris be aware that the radiators have a problem betting packed/plugged up with mud , I've had a few Polaris's (ride bomb now) and still have allot of friends that ride Polaris almost every long ride we all take at least one Polaris over heats because of the radiator being plugged ,

I had a 1999 Polaris that had a over heating problem and I heard alot of people say that about the radiator, my buddy has a 2007 Sportsman 500 and last time it had a over heating problem and all it was, was the radiator clogged up. On mine I just put a cooler thermostat in it and problem was solved. From what my buddy tells me with the two seater that Polaris makes, it isnt set up the same as the regular Sportsman, its not just a sportsman with a stretch kit, but totally different because he went to get electric power steering for it and found out the entire front end, oil tank and everything is different and had to send it back. as far as that guy with buy a Yamaha, give me a break.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: porkchop01
After even more research I've decided against the Can-Am Outlander Max. While it has great power, I'm reading tons of complaints about the weakness of the frame and how the company is not following through with warranty issues. I don't want to go there....especially with a two-up model a weak frame is the LAST thing I want to deal with.
If you want bullet proof, then get a Yamaha.

Did you read my topic heading? Specifically the part about 'two seater'?
You dont think that Yamaha has a TWO SEATER? Wow!

After even more research I've decided against the Can-Am Outlander Max. While it has great power, I'm reading tons of complaints about the weakness of the frame and how the company is not following through with warranty issues. I don't want to go there....especially with a two-up model a weak frame is the LAST thing I want to deal with.
If you want bullet proof, then get a Yamaha.

Did you read my topic heading? Specifically the part about 'two seater'?
You dont think that Yamaha has a TWO SEATER? Wow!

Mr. Porkchop,
Did you truly read my first post and understand the question? Yamaha makes a side-by-side....but not a two-up, two seat ATV. I hope you finally understand now.....but thanks for the friendly posting.

Yes they do make a two up two seater ATV 4 wheeler. They even have rider and passenger backrest if thats your fancy. My neighbor has a 2008 model with the backrest's on it, I think its either a 600 or 650 cc automatic, Sweet machine.

El Porko...sorry buddy but Yamaha DOES NOT make a two-up ATV. I checked the website and even went back two years....no two-up.

Lots of good advice in the above posts - thought I would add to it.

Regarding the Polaris: are you looking at a 'x2' or 'touring' model?

For 2010 Polaris has both a touring and x2 version of the new XP chassis (dual A-arm front suspension) with the 550 engine. I would say better ride and handling vs. the 500 - but the 500 is the older and more proven design. Both the engine and chassis have been around for awhile and have all the kinks worked out. The XP also has the radiator mounted higher up in the front to avoid the radiator plugging/overheating issue.

I don't think you will go wrong with either the Polaris or Arctic-Cat - though I do think that the Polaris is built stronger and has a better ride, IMO. Go sit on them and look them both over in person and then make the call. It is too bad that nobody will let you test ride one - some dealers around here have courses set up on site for test rides. Call around and find out if anybody around you does this.

Andy Griffith... I ll try to get a pic of it on here to show you. It may be very possible that has an upgrade of sorts to get this two up,but it looks to be factory. Ill go ask him this weekend and take a pic.

Originally Posted By: XJ1100
Lots of good advice in the above posts - thought I would add to it.

Regarding the Polaris: are you looking at a 'x2' or 'touring' model?

For 2010 Polaris has both a touring and x2 version of the new XP chassis (dual A-arm front suspension) with the 550 engine. I would say better ride and handling vs. the 500 - but the 500 is the older and more proven design. Both the engine and chassis have been around for awhile and have all the kinks worked out. The XP also has the radiator mounted higher up in the front to avoid the radiator plugging/overheating issue.

I don't think you will go wrong with either the Polaris or Arctic-Cat - though I do think that the Polaris is built stronger and has a better ride, IMO. Go sit on them and look them both over in person and then make the call. It is too bad that nobody will let you test ride one - some dealers around here have courses set up on site for test rides. Call around and find out if anybody around you does this.

Probably the less expensive Touring 500 HO model. I like the 550 x2 perhaps a bit more but we'll see when I go look at them. Used to be that Polaris wasn't the best in reliability, but now it seems like it's equal to most. Truth is I'd probably buy a Suzuki or a Yamaha if they had a two-up.

Andy Griffith... I ll try to get a pic of it on here to show you. It may be very possible that has an upgrade of sorts to get this two up,but it looks to be factory. Ill go ask him this weekend and take a pic.

Lol.....the yamaha website mentions no two-up....nor do they speak of options for one. Could be a modification done by the owner. I know some aftermarket seats that are for two. Not my thing though....I want an ATV made for two, not a mod.

You won't go wrong with the 500 HO - very solid and proven design. It has been a few years since they have had any major issues and you will like the ride and handling better than any other manufacturer.

The radiator thing is about the only problem you might have on that wheeler - and it is easy to avoid with a quick check every now and again. I talked to a dealer in TX that would install screens over every one that he sold b/c they have a problem with the radiator plugging up with grass seeds down there - this way you just remove the screen and blow it out and repeat as needed.

After more research and careful consideration I'm set on getting the 2010 Polaris 550X2. It's ride is equal to the VERY best ATV's out there, a new radiator placement solves the clogging issue, EFI, the added HP of the 550, a 'turf' mode that allows me to ride on my lawn without chewing it up in turns, it will tow 1500lbs., and the back rack can hold 400lbs. Great for work and play. I just hope these dealers around here will be willing to give me a price cut off of the $8999 MSRP. I went to one local dealer and he didn't budge....so with tax and license fees plus the idiotic 'setup' fee were talking about $10,000!! No way I'd pay that for a 550. I'll be getting a big bonus check from work soon and then I'll be going to a different dealer and offer them $8500 out the door. We'll see what his counter will be. As long as it's under $9k I would do it.

Last edited:
I own two Arctic Cat ATVs. Not TRVs (Two Rider Vehicle). Both late model 500cc Suzuki engine machines. They've been great so far.

At all cost, avoid anything that has their home built engines in them. They are no where near as strong or reliable as the Japanese engines. Do some research, even at the ArcticChat forum, and you see the problems that AC have had with their home built engines. Their Thunder Cat has to be one of the worst machines out there. Nothing but trouble. I'd most certainly lean toward the Polaris with their excellent Fuji engines.

Yes, the polaris I'm interested in has a Fuji built 550 engine. I'm not sure if the 500 is fuji or not but that is a good engine as well. Time tested and proven. I just hope the 550 will be as good.

andrewg - Both the 500 and 550 are Fuji built engines. The 500 has proven itself to be very reliable, and the 550 has been reliable thus far...of course there are fewer high hour examples of the 550 in the field.

boraticus - I am curious why you think the "home built" engines are not reliable? Also, which engines are you referring to?

Glad to hear that so far the 550 has been reliable. Too soon to tell long term but so far...so good.
I put some money down on a new 2010 550X2 Polaris a couple of days ago. The dealer had a Can-Am 650 Max Two-up for sale at $1000 off MSRP. I test rode a similar 800 Max (he had the 650 in his warehouse) just to see how the ride was. I'll tell you what....the Can-Am ride was terrible compared to the X2. Choppy, unforgiving and harsh. Even the power on the 800 really didn't impress me. I guess I'm an old [censored]. The test ride on the X2 was very nice. Even the engine sound was pleasant to me as I've heard that some said it sounded like a lawn mower (not even close).
( Geez, surprised the slang word for passing gas was 'censored'....that's a bit extreme isn't it?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back