Two Annoying American Auto Manufacturers' Practices

Limited recirculation is a must for the average driver. In the north it's common to see imports driving down the road in winter with side windows fogged or frozen up due to running the HVAC in recirculation so they get the quick heater warm up, but the moisture inside doesn't get vented out, so the knuckleheads drive around with only a clear windshield. Rear defrosts usually time out.
Brings back childhood memories of going to Grandma's on Thanksgiving or Christmas, the whole family bundled up in our heavy coats and all the windows fogged up, with just a little clear patch in the windshield to see out of! And we weren't in an import..... I just think my parents truly believed using the heater wasted gas!

What if it is a smoked lens that still reflects well, and is extremely bright? Do you dislike the dark color when not in use, or because you assume it makes the light dimmer?
I don’t dislike the styling. Not an assumption because I have observed many smoked lenses that look good and are sufficiently bright and some that hinder/reduce the brightness of the brake lights and turn signals and are a safety issue. Maybe it’s the quality of the lenses or the lack there of but some I’ve observed, are so dim it’s often hard to tell when the vehicle is braking or signals are being used.

I remember old Peugeot (without AC) where you could choose the fan speed while having the air recirculated or not, through what I always thought was a weird bidirectional fan control knob.

And I also hate red turn signals, and the fact that my Honda has that abomination instead of orange ones. I should look if it's an easy fix or not.

Drivers not using their turn signals is annoying but there is a silver lining. It does give law enforcement a legitimate reason to pull a car over when they feel something is not quite right.
It is surprising how often the drivers with suspended licenses or no insurance etc are the one speeding, not using turn signals or commiting other sundry minor offences.
Nobody around here uses turn signals so who cares what color they are

My annoyance: the CHMSLs that flash three times then go solid. I hope that trend dies
Ditto. Too distracting--I have other vehicles on the road to be mindful of, I see those blinks and it makes me pause, wondering if the car is turning or just not comprehending, not sure, but it doesn't register immediately, like slow blink or fast brake light.

Reactions: D60
That was my favorite car we had when I was a kid. I never got to drive it however; they traded it in just days before I get my learner's permit. Everything about that car seemed so futuristic! From the front grille to the HVAC vents to the taillights. And much nicer seats than the vinyl in the Nova they bought as a replacement.
Mine was tired and rusty by the time I bought in 1978. The 307 was already doing some good mosquito fogging. Coupled to the Powerglide, it was not about to win any drag races.

I still miss it though.

They should be running the AC in those situations. For many newer cars that’s automatic.
unless you turn it off...

I prefer to have control over HVAC...the Kia has all sorts of auto de-humidify, and filter, etc...but I live in Iowa, and VERY often just drive with the windows down. I turned all that stuff off. I will push the recirc button when I want it, and I will push the AC button when I want it.

I don’t dislike the styling. Not an assumption because I have observed many smoked lenses that look good and are sufficiently bright and some that hinder/reduce the brightness of the brake lights and turn signals and are a safety issue. Maybe it’s the quality of the lenses or the lack there of but some I’ve observed, are so dim it’s often hard to tell when the vehicle is braking or signals are being used.

agreed...the poorly implemented ones aren't safe. Those who just tint a stock light end up with poor performance. I do have black lights on my Vette, but they are all quality LED's that shine brighter than OEM. That is why I was asking.

The US and Canada (which piggybacks on US rules) are virtually the only major countries that allow red rear turn signals. Amber is mandated in other industrialized countries.

VW/Audi/Porsche switched to red across all the car lines a while back for "corporate identity" and consistency in North America, but so did Mercedes-Benz. If I recall correctly, the feds had proposed that a vehicle could not get a 5–star safety rating without amber rear turn signals, but I don't know whether that was finally made a rule. Ford did put amber turn signals on the F-150 and heavier pickups recently, so maybe that was in response.

Are you sure? I've heard this before, but when following the discussion here on BITOG on the same subject, just a few weeks ago, I did some research, and looked up pictures of German marketed Mercedes, Audi, BMW and others. I found plenty of pictures show all red tail lights on cars that are clearly not NA market cars. I've never travelled to Europe, so I can't speak with certainty.

unless you turn it off...

I prefer to have control over HVAC...the Kia has all sorts of auto de-humidify, and filter, etc...but I live in Iowa, and VERY often just drive with the windows down. I turned all that stuff off. I will push the recirc button when I want it, and I will push the AC button when I want it.

I used to be that way as well but vehicles have gotten tighter and have better seals.

Here in Germany red turn signals are considered super fancy, but you only can have them on US cars up to a certain year - I think it is 1991 - if your car is newer, you have to convert to amber.
Converting to red is easy, the amber lens is replaced with a red lens, with bulb replacement if necessary. Converting to amber can be more difficult if the same bulb is doing double duty as turn and brake, with the circuit isolation of the turn and brake circuits occuring in the turn signal switch.

It seems to me that the trend now is towards better visibility of turn signals. It’s not just placement or color. Newer turn signals are pulsing, animated and all kinds of effects.

It is not unique to domestics. My 21 Jetta had red rear turn signals, the 19s had amber they changed them after that. Presumably cost cutting at work.

I prefer ambers as well and I believe amber is mandated in Europe.
It is. The really odd thing is that the US spec VW Tiguan the turn signals are red on the side turning. However if you look closely there is a small area that looks amber but doesn't light up. In Europe the small spot on the Tiguan lamp is an amber turn signal. Doug Demuro posted about this a few years back. I think the ece and sae are backing off to make it easier to make one turn signal lamp.
"And here’s what I learned: all turn signals must be at least 2,200 square millimeters in size"

Wanna trade tail lamps? I think the amber delete looks cleaner on the newer ones lol 🤣
There’s several threads on VE Vortex about just that! It’s way more complicated than a straight swap of course, nothing is straightforward anymore although some determined souls pushed through it.

Are you sure? I've heard this before, but when following the discussion here on BITOG on the same subject, just a few weeks ago, I did some research, and looked up pictures of German marketed Mercedes, Audi, BMW and others. I found plenty of pictures show all red tail lights on cars that are clearly not NA market cars. I've never travelled to Europe, so I can't speak with certainty.
I'm positive. The rear turn signals that look red in Europe have a greenish filter inside (where legal) that makes the output amber when the bulb is on. Some BMW motorcycles sold in the US have had that. The turn-signal lens looks red, but is actually a slightly off shade to work with the green internal filter for the correct amber color. It's actually a neat trick that takes advantage of certain color properties of light.

BMW had petitioned the US government to allow this same system on cars, but the feds took long enough to approve it that the company chose to simply make the rear turn signals red on the North American–spec cars, since that was already legal here.

Here in Germany red turn signals are considered super fancy, but you only can have them on US cars up to a certain year - I think it is 1991 - if your car is newer, you have to convert to amber.
Here in the US, German automakers tend to convert amber turn signals into red

My annoyance: the CHMSLs that flash three times then go solid. I hope that trend dies
A lot of dealers in my area install those moronic CHMSL flashers; I won't buy a car equipped with that garbage. The last thing I want is a car with a wiring harness that has been hacked up by a minimum wage "technician" who has yet to develop opposable thumbs.

Our '68 Impala had turn signals (all its taillights actually) in the rear bumper. I didn't realize that was still a thing.

Land Rover Discovery perhaps? What else?
Kia and Hyundai have been doing it. Some other makes too but can’t remember what ones. Don’t like it at all.

Back