Two And A Half Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody seen the premiere episode with Ashton Kutcher?

Kutcher is good, as usual -- I've always thought he was a solid physical comedian like Michael "Kramer" Richards. Plus we got two in-jokes. A lot of Charlie Harper's old girlfriends show up at his funeral, and the producers actually cast the actresses who played those roles back then. Plus we had a walk-on from Jenna Elfman and Thomas Gibson as their old lead characters from "Dharma and Greg," the previous show masterminded by Chuck Lorre, the creator of "Men."

Nice touches all down the line. Could be a very interesting season.

"[Charlie's] body just exploded like a balloon full of meat."
(-- Rose, Charlie's lovely and psycho next-door neighbor, calmly explaining how he died under the Metro in Paris)

Kutcher is HORRIBLE and so was the season premier. No wonder Charlie thought the producers of the show were idiots considering they picked Kutcher to replace him. The show was great when it had Charlie; it's DOA now with Ashton. He's the antithesis of funny. He's so fake. All he can play is a retarded acting 20 year old.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Kutcher is HORRIBLE and so was the season premier. No wonder Charlie thought the producers of the show were idiots considering they picked Kutcher to replace him. The show was great when it had Charlie; it's DOA now with Ashton. He's the antithesis of funny. He's so fake. All he can play is a retarded acting 20 year old.

Actually, he is more specifically a LOUD retard.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

Actually, he is more specifically a LOUD retard.

QFT

Hm! I seem to be in the minority here. True, I've never paid cash money to see Kutcher in anything, and probably wouldn't. But because he only plays one character is not, by itself, a reason to dismiss him. You could say the same of a lot of actors: John Wayne was accused of it, and Jimmy Stewart (though I disagree), etc. Not that I class AK with them.

Kutcher plays the doofus type pretty well -- and the character here in "Men" is just that.

(Besides, I want the series to continue because I don't want that parade of gorgeous women to go away.)

Watching Ashton play Charlie Harper is a lot like watching the hot guy at the bar or party getting all the girls no matter what (that would be me :D). That's what Alan was doing. There was some appeal and humor to the older, rough around the edges Charlie doing that. Plus you had the cool brother Charlie and uncool brother Alan dynamic going that probably appeals to some viwers.

With Ashton, you have a young, tall, handsome and even richer guy I guess being a Charlie Harper. Too much like real life. It's the wrong character for the part. But I don't really know how they'll spin it and I could be wrong since I rarely watched the show and don't even know much about Ashton. I'm sure it'll do better with viewers than it deserves to do.

I'd never in my life have called AK handsome, but my standards for that title are guys like Cary Grant and Robert Vaughn, so I don't know if that counts for anything. He is young and tall, though. And now we have a new contrast in personalities, Alan the uncool older guy vs. Walden the cool younger (and rich) guy.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I'd never in my life have called AK handsome, but my standards for that title are guys like Cary Grant and Robert Vaughn, so I don't know if that counts for anything. He is young and tall, though. And now we have a new contrast in personalities, Alan the uncool older guy vs. Walden the cool younger (and rich) guy.

If I had a dime for everytime I saw a guy that I didn't think was that handsome but girls did and vice versa..I'd bet most girls would say Ashton is hotter than Charlie Sheen. I wouldn't necessarily agree but we are guys. But that's just it, the contrast in personalities you described is aweful. I can see that all day anyday at the nightlife district. Not good and it seems like the writes are more interested in getting back at Sheen, but we'd have to see how the show's characters really play out. Well I probably won't see because I don't really watch the show.

I missed the premier but why does Alan and Jake get to live there after Ashton buys the house?? Why not kick Alan and Jake out? I don't get it...

In the premiere Ashton is a nice guy obsessed/distraught over his ex with lady killer potential. Alan becomes his older, wiser friend that encourages him to become more like Charlie was. That's all we know so far and I'm not sure if it makes sense lol.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'm not writing it off just yet. Let's see where this goes over the course of the next few episodes...

This.

On a 1-10 I would gave it a 4 but who knows where it is headed but I would not call the show the R word.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
R word.

I hope that is sarcasm.

There is guy who lives in my complex..He is slow and alot of people here call him retarded..He manages to work a full time job 6 days a week..He does not drive so he takes 2 buses each way in this jungle heat and monsoon rain..He never complains..He has family nearby but they hardly see him..He pays someone to take him shopping once a week.

So when I hear people use the word retarded [for anything] I think of some of the slower people doing more then some of the able people.

Maybe I am wrong to think that way but that is just IMHO.

Yeah, I got a friend that has some difficulty talking and physical deformity. He gets confused for a retard sometimes, but he isn't. One of the things I really admire about the guy is that even though he has his full mental faculties and is severely physically disabled, he takes it in stride and doesn't take himself so seriously as to use the term "R-word".

However, I think it's bad form to call anyone retarded when they are in fact mentally retarded. That's just wrong. Any language used in a hateful manner is wrong, but a word is never wrong - only the speaker. But I don't think you're wrong to think that way... To each his own. Every topic of this sort causes people to form carefully reasoned opinions.

This reminds me of another friend of mine, unfortunately passed on, who was a midget. And he got [censored] if anybody called him a little person. I loved that about him.

Sorry to take it so far off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back