Trying Renewable Lubricants ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Perhaps what he meant to say
was that one of the base oils in the formulation has a VI of 220; that I'd believe.

Yes. Vegetable oils have really high VI's but when mixed with other oils that have lower VI's, the resultant VI is lower.

I find it strange that RLI chooses to use VIIs in all it's multigrade formulations, even their 10W-30 with it's low VI of 153. Which leads me to conclude that the actual vegetable content is well under 50% and RLI's not using high VI PAO's but low VI GP III oils in their formulations.

Originally Posted By: fredjacksonsan
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Fred I thought Chrysler had switched to 5W-20 on the new Jeeps?
Anyway, yes the RLI 0W-30 does shear a lot but I wouldn't worry about it as I believe it starts as a heavy 30wt in the first place.

Yup, pretty sure the new Jeeps use 5w20; but ours are both 2004, which specify xw30. The engine changed for the 2007 model year.

Did the engine change or just the recommended oil grade?
Either way, now that we know RLI's 0W-30 is a heavy 30wt, heavier than the 30wt oil Chrysler used to specify, RLI's 0W-20 would be the most appropriate choice since it is in fact a light 30wt oil.

Did the engine change or just the recommended oil grade?

Either way, now that we know RLI's 0W-30 is a heavy 30wt, heavier than the 30wt oil Chrysler used to specify, RLI's 0W-20 would be the most appropriate choice since it is in fact a light 30wt oil.

Both
grin.gif
The older Jeeps had the 4.0 liter inline six, or the 2.4 liter four; the 4.0 specifies 10w30 unless temps are always below 32* F in which case it says 5w30 is ok. The 2.4 says 5w30 preferred always, with 10w30 if temps are always above (I think) 60*F.

'07 and up are using the 3.8 liter V6, and will likely get replaced by the 3.6 liter V6 that's in the 2011 Grand Cherokee. (according to Allpar and Motor Trend reviews)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is their website "http://www.renewablelube.com/" the cheapest place to get RLI motor oil?

Originally Posted By: Xtc6k
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is their website "http://www.renewablelube.com/" the cheapest place to get RLI motor oil?

AFAIK, so far it's the ONLY place to get RLI, unless they're selling it in local auto/tractor parts stores.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: dparm
What's the HTHS on the 0w30? Is it a light, medium, or heavy 30?

No idea, other than what 21Rouge said.

When I talked to RLI, I told them that my car specs an HTHS of at least 3.5, and asked them if the 0w-30 would be okay on that front. The response was a very confident-sounding "yes." Take that as you will.

So they obviously know the HTHS values of their oils but they won't put them on their PDS's. Very strange.

The impression I'm under is that RLI knows all the specs their oils have, but they are too concerned about IP theft & giving away too much info to the competition. It seems that their consumer business is likely a small part of their total, and they would rather leave out some data than say too much. Also vis numbers vary quite a bit. I've seen big name oils come in at over 10% off their spec sheets.

BTW I've used the RLI 10W-30HD and the 5W-40HD in 2 of my vehicles (Mini Cooper S supercharged @270WHP, and C6Z06) and they showed lower wear than Mobil 1, Amsoil, or Redline.

Except HTHS vis', the single most important viscosity measure because of it's accuracy, is not in any way proprietary. Anyone can have the oils tested if they want to spend the bucks.
Anyway we've pretty much figured out the values for their 20,30 and 40wt oils.

Of course RLI is not the only culprit with this lack of basic info, Valvoline and Castrol NA, just to name two, are useless although Castrol's European website is much better.

Originally Posted By: 4wheels

BTW I've used the RLI 10W-30HD and the 5W-40HD in 2 of my vehicles (Mini Cooper S supercharged @270WHP, and C6Z06) and they showed lower wear than Mobil 1, Amsoil, or Redline.

Any chance you posted the uoa?

-Dennis

Except HTHS vis', the single most important viscosity measure because of it's accuracy, is not in any way proprietary. Anyone can have the oils tested if they want to spend the bucks.

Of course RLI is not the only culprit with this lack of basic info, Valvoline and Castrol NA, just to name two, are useless although Castrol's European website is much better.

Nothing I've ever seen in any oil company's public tech datasheet should really be considered proprietary, but that doesn't stop the majority of them from listing data that deviates a fair bit from what the oil actually measures when tested. I've found very few oils I've had tested match the "published" specs, even from major mfgs that are 'highly' regarded on BITOG.

Suffice it to say I've found the RLI stuff is worth trying.

Except HTHS vis', the single most important viscosity measure because of it's accuracy, is not in any way proprietary.

Of course RLI is not the only culprit with this lack of basic info,

My pet peeve is for the Esso XD line-up of oils. No posting of HTHS nor NOACK and calls or emails asking about this were in vain.

Originally Posted By: 4wheels

Nothing I've ever seen in any oil company's public tech datasheet should really be considered proprietary, but that doesn't stop the majority of them from listing data that deviates a fair bit from what the oil actually measures when tested. I've found very few oils I've had tested match the "published" specs, even from major mfgs that are 'highly' regarded on BITOG.

Suffice it to say I've found the RLI stuff is worth trying.

Maybe Schaeffer's is on to something with its "ranges" of values in the PDS?

Originally Posted By: dparm
-many of their oils were reformulated in the last few months
-adding more antimony for anti-wear
-lower ash in new formulations
-new VIIs incorporated to improve shear stability

I have access (to purchase) a jug of the their 0W30 with a production date of October 20, 2010. Any idea if this product would be the new recipe that the RLI tech seems to have alluded to?

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
I have access (to purchase) a jug of the their 0W30 with a production date of October 20, 2010. Any idea if this product would be the new recipe that the RLI tech seems to have alluded to?

Pretty sure. Call them and ask them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back