Truck burned our highway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would actually like to know who thought it would be a swell idea to assemble 44,000 lbs. of TNT, and then send it out on the road. Dunno. Kind of sounds like a bomb to me.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
I will see your burned and raise you a crater.

Sept 1970 a tristate truck during teamster strike was shot with centerfire rifle. Truck was filled with explosives. The resulting crater in I44 highway was 50 feet wide, 75’ long and 25 feet deep. Windows in Springfield Mo over 12 miles away were broken. I do not know if the driver was ever found, not much left I fear. My cousin lived in republic and lost several windows, some stuff fell in the house and broke, and he found a piece of the truck. Drunks were aiming for the radiator and missed, so they said at their murder trials.

Rod

When I was in the RE they told us that didn't happen. I did suggest testing it, as a confidence builder, but the RSM wasn't keen.

They were probably talking about PE4, but we did use some cheaper Nobel stuff for some jobs.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Your local gov't built a road which couldn't stand the weight of the fire trucks etc.? I think that is something you can complain about.

Our roads and highways should be built "like the German" roads.
It's always bees said the German roads are deeper, stronger, longer lasting and therefore inarguably better AND CHEAPER.
And, if it ain't the Germans it's some other country....the point is the same.

I've heard or read somewhere that the autobahns hold up well because they (Hitler?) originally wanted to be able to run tanks on them, rapid movement along internal lines of communication stylee.

Might be a bit OTT these days though, since MBT's are a lot heavier.

Possibly my earliest memory is of Centurions running past our house in Lanark, maybe during the Korean war.

Column was followed by a man from the council in a van, shaking his head. (I doubt I remember that bit, was probably told that by my folks, but I remember the tanks and the mess they made of the road.)

I was told it took a while to get the road fixed but we didn't have a car so weren't directly affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back