So this trucking company goes out of business.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Back to the OS... The trucking industry will be REALLY failing in the next few years with more rules and regs coming down the line. Trucking companies will not be able to meet the specs that are coming. Along with the work rules.

The master plan from the almighty is to have more shipping by rail. Bigwigs can track it easier. Easier to have full union membership. Less chance of being undercut by the scabs. The railroad got a huge grant (at least it was verbal) a few months ago, remember?

The master plan is also to have electronic logging so if you go over your hours of service, the government gives you 15 minutes to find a place to park or the truck will automatically shut off. Some companies already have this in place.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
The master plan is also to have electronic logging so if you go over your hours of service, the government gives you 15 minutes to find a place to park or the truck will automatically shut off. Some companies already have this in place.

I have a cousin who trucks for Frito-Lay. This system was on his truck in the late 80s. He told me that it gave you several warnings, but if you ignored them, it would shut you down on the spot.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Its a terrible way to leave someone stranded like that.

The news story makes it seem like the truckers are penny-less. They can't rent a car and drive it home, or get a flight/bus back home?

Nice to see the other trucking companies are being classy and helping out, but most car rental companies will rent a regular car for about $20 per day.

Not one way which it would be.

Go call ANY Rent a car company and get a one way rate. UNLESS they happen to have a car that NEEDS to go exactly when you need to go the rates will blow you away.

Far from $20 a day.

Your right Bill, I have rented one way before. It was about 5x what the daily rate was.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

I have a cousin who trucks for Frito-Lay. This system was on his truck in the late 80s. He told me that it gave you several warnings, but if you ignored them, it would shut you down on the spot.

In all honesty, I'd take that over working for a company that pushes you to the brink and forces you to fudge your logs.

frown.gif
, just
frown.gif

I've read that some of the better flatbed companies will hire displaced Arrow drivers. System Transport at the top of the list. They'll probably get a lot of the freight Arrow had, so they'll need the drivers. If some of those guys could get hired on with them, it might end up being the best Christmas gift they could have ever received!

Quote:
For the hours put in, absolutely. My spring water company driver is in the same boat. 60+ hours a week is standard. At least he can just run himself even more ragged and still get to assistant coach the little league team his boy is on.

If he is so over worked , maybe he should look for another line of work or a career change. There is work out there if you really look for it. If he is working 60 hours a week , he better be making a ton of $$$ for all that stress and aggravation.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Quote:
For the hours put in, absolutely. My spring water company driver is in the same boat. 60+ hours a week is standard. At least he can just run himself even more ragged and still get to assistant coach the little league team his boy is on.

If he is so over worked , maybe he should look for another line of work or a career change. There is work out there if you really look for it. If he is working 60 hours a week , he better be making a ton of $$$ for all that stress and aggravation.

Are you kidding !!!

Quote:
But myself, NEVER close to bankruptcy. It's called planning. And not spending (wasting) money you don't have.

Probably only for the last half of your life. Unless you were given your home, someone owned it. During your family raising years, maybe? Again, like your driving profile, this would be exceptional to the point of Big Foot or a unicorn. Even my all time tightwad friend who had his property given to him by his father ..and he was tighter than a frog's behind (water tight) ..he held his $175k mortgage (on a $300k house 1990 $$ and high(er) here) for 5 years. He built the thing almost all by himself. His wife didn't work and if he was taken out (same as losing a job) there would never be time to liquidate his assets without running out of cash.

Don't pretend that everyone can live like you did. You're in some unique situation that made that attitude and disposition viable. It's not like everyone had that opportunity to make it pay like you did.

Let's take it to a more rational point. You work hard ..feed your 401k ..pay your bills ..your company goes south and all of your savings is in your house, and then the housing market tanks. How long to liquidate your 401k under hardship and take the penalty. I never managed more than a $3000-$3500 running balance in my checking account. Half of that was already gone on paper and the installments were about $1000/wk. You may be able to float the numbers for inflation and cost of living, but until you're making more on your investments than you are in taxable earned income, you're still in the same state of vulnerability for falling from grace.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Quote:

There was an evolution back ..hmmm..at the onset of the merger and acquisition era. Back then the most competitive job was in the mid 40's range. The most disappearing job was the $65k middle manager in "stream lining". Now one $80-90k person oversaw twice as many mid 40k people.

What I'm not communicating well is that this water driver, given his income demands for the lifestyle he's chosen for his family, is enslave to that level of income. If that level of income was easily found ..in any sensible manner, he wouldn't be working 60 hours to maintain his current position. Right now his outfit is laying off drivers due to lower demand for bottled water ..since less people can afford it.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Don't pretend that everyone can live like you did. You're in some unique situation that made that attitude and disposition viable. It's not like everyone had that opportunity to make it pay like you did.

Oh please Gary. I like you, but to quote Bud Fox, "Save the Workers of the World Unite Speeches".

I don't understand why you think life screwed you over and everyone else's success and standard of living happened because of things beyond their control, hard work, and financial responsibility.

Yea, some people do end up on hard times as a result of things beyond their control, but MILLIONS of people in this country started from nothing, make the median household income, work hard, SAVE THEIR MONEY (ie, learn the basics of investing so as not to get totally fleeced), and don't end up in homeless shelters when they lose their jobs.

The vast majority of middle class Americans end up the way they do because of hard work, persistence, the ability to deal with their problems in a responsible way, and the humility to ask for help when they need it.

From what I know of Bill, he's not the trust fund baby you make him out to be.

Last edited:
Drew, you're over reading into my post. We can reason that not everyone ..especially in the future, is going to be living 100% debt free and living off of the interest of their life's earning without sacrifice. It's just not done and we know that it's 100% assured that everyone cannot do this even if they wanted to. The physics of the machinery makes that impossible ..and you know it. That was for the last generation. That is, the "handing forward" of the family's surplus is mostly over. My generation and those slightly older than me, gave their kids college educations instead.

This is not to say that Bill didn't have those dispositions and didn't prosper under them. But he, like most who have such advice to give, totally ignore their unique situation in the giving.

For example. My wife's departed uncle. He was a naval commander of some decent rank. He sold fighter aircraft to all the friendlies. His draw on commission was $1200/week. He lived in McLean, Va ..but bought when it was a totally unremarkable suburb before Georgetown and such doubled in price on a quarterly basis.

Did his wisdom produce the real estate market coup that made is not all that uncommon suburban home worth a fortune? No, being in the right place when the world changed around him gained him all that stationary wealth.

Did his "wisdom" produce the fraternity of pals that put him in the aircraft sales position that made him LARGE $$$?

Now he surely could have BLOWN IT and done all kinds of foolish things with his earnings and wealth, but that's totally different than saying that anyone can attain anything with the right attitude and life rules.

..but while we're here.

How much do you have in savings and how long do you have after your job is done before you're out of cash? Any mortgage? Family? If we plugged you into that scenario, just how desperate might you be given your current status ..and how much reserve do you think you would have?

Would you live in a slum if you could afford to live somewhere better? That would assure a good earning to debt ratio? Drive a beater and replace as needed ..and have your wife and kids do the same ..since it assured that you were living within your means while keeping a good safety buffer in terms of economics?

Know too many who do? Me neither. People live to the level of access they have with the income available. If you're real lucky, you know when to stop.

More than likely the bank pulled the companies line of credit, its a very tough business that needs lots of bank money to keep going.

personally, i would have dropped the trailer and headed for home or as close to home as i could.

If you're real lucky, you know when to stop.

Should you stop before or after the phone is ringing off the hook with collection agencies?

Would you live in a slum if you could afford to live somewhere better? That would assure a good earning to debt ratio? Drive a beater and replace as needed ..and have your wife and kids do the same ..since it assured that you were living within your means while keeping a good safety buffer in terms of economics?

Know too many who do? Me neither. People live to the level of access they have with the income available. If you're real lucky, you know when to stop.

I have a few friends as well as ourselves that live below our means. No slums invovled, but not many new cars, or expensive toys either. All of us have waited until we could put lots of money down to buy and even then bought or built cheaper homes than we could have. All of us at one point or another have only had one household income but could still pay the essentials on that almost indefinitely.
Like you say though, not everyone can do this, we all got into university and up here a student can get a 4 year degree and with a decent summer job not have too much student debt when they graduate, $20-30k which you should kill off in two years or less if you keep living like a student... 2 more years of student living then a couple can have 20% of their first house paid for in many cities.
I'll agree though that there's lots of pressure to get loaded up in debt buying the new car every couple years and the biggest house you can get bank approval for.

Well the way I see it is that if u are across the country in a truck being fueled by ur company and go to gas up one day and your gas card dont work and then get told u are no longer employed cause your company is Out of Buisness. That enough is a hard pill to swallow. I mean it can cost u over a grand to fill a truck up sum people dont have credit cards or that type of money on hand to get home.
Even if they wanted to hop on the greyhound if they havent been paid in two checks their finicaial situation can poor. Plus alot of people to spend more money around christmas time getting gifts.
That is a situation no one would ever want to be in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back