treating rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
If its painted steel I think applying wax to the affected area would work well.

If its bare metal I can't see anything doing a better job than oil (motor oil, ATF, gear lube) or antiseize.

What have you done when you've seen rust and either wanted to cure it or at least prevent it's spread.

A little rust is like being a little pregnant. That said, POR 15 helps. Is this a body panel or what?

Last edited:
There are stainless steel sprays that will help force the passive oxidation layer's formation. They smell like citric acid, which is a very strong oxidizer and helps form a chromium rich layer. It is to a much smaller degree than full passivation, but it is very good as a PM. You should degrease the surface as much as possible before hitting it with a steel polish. Pitting is literary cancer. It must be polished out. Then do what I have already stated.

this is a little like preventing rather than fixing but I have used Rustoleum zinc rich galvanizing paint on exhausts, etc. since the rust process will attack the zinc before it attacks the steel as part of the back to nature - rust - process. it really helps on exhausts if you can get under there.

The AT cooling line in my old BMW rusted out. I drained the trans to keep down the mess. I cobbled together some good lines from my used parts. I brushed the inner fender and the steel hard lines with the drained ATF. The stuff has a decent "creep" I hit the area several times before I put the wheel back on. I once had a 50$ Dart with a weeping output seal. It leaked ATF all underneath the car. Above, it was rusted to the door handles, but underneath it was shiny bright.

Rustoleum and possibly others now has a product called Rust Encaptulator that stops rust now and for a long time to come.Do yourself a favor and check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back