Travelstar tires???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I’m not sure I understand
It's really irritating on here when someone asks a question and some just posts something else. I asked specifically about Travelstar, not any other brand.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
I’m not sure I understand
It's really irritating on here when someone asks a question and some just posts something else. I asked specifically about Travelstar, not any other brand.
Ok I guess I understand.

But CKN chimes in on a lot of tire posts and is sarcastic about recommending Michelin tires for ridiculous more money for no better of a tire. He's joking, gotta lighten up a little.

They arrived today and they are made in Thailand and look very well made. Supposed to have a 40,000 mile treadwear warranty. If I can get a couple years out of them I will be very satisfied.

Do you have the DOT codes? The first two characters after the word DOT indicate the factory/company that made them (and the last four digits indicate when they were made)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
They arrived today and they are made in Thailand and look very well made. Supposed to have a 40,000 mile treadwear warranty. If I can get a couple years out of them I will be very satisfied.

Do you have the DOT codes? The first two characters after the word DOT indicate the factory/company that made them (and the last four digits indicate when they were made)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

May I present

[[drumroll]]

The very first 3 digit plant code.

They were permissible after April, 2015 and by April, 2025, they will be mandatory.

This is the first one I have heard about and I don't know where to find the decoder, My usual places to look still only have the 2 digits.

Had these installed yesterday and they balanced very easily. My wife says the ride might be a touch harsher than the OE Continental tires that were shot at 36k.

Had these installed yesterday and they balanced very easily. My wife says the ride might be a touch harsher than the OE Continental tires that were shot at 36k.
Tire pressures ok? I've been to shops where they put the weirdest tire pressures in.

Tire pressures ok? I've been to shops where they put the weirdest tire pressures in.
Havent had time to check them yet.

Anyway, the DOT tire code, 1Y matches a Chinese plant. That may be old data. Travel star is a subsidiary of Unicorn Tire, US headquarters are in Tennessee.

Originally Posted By: MParr
Anyway, the DOT tire code, 1Y matches a Chinese plant. That may be old data. ......

Sorry, but that plant code is 3 digits - 1YC - first one I have seen. I don't know of anyone who has published a decoder - yet.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: MParr
Anyway, the DOT tire code, 1Y matches a Chinese plant. That may be old data. ......

Sorry, but that plant code is 3 digits - 1YC - first one I have seen. I don't know of anyone who has published a decoder - yet.

Oh, and I just realized that the new 3rd digit rules says the new 3 digit plant code reserves all the one's (1's) for the current 2 digit codes. So a 1YC in the new scheme would be YC in the old scheme.

- and that translates to THE DAYTON TIRE & RUBBER CO. ALBANY GA UNITED STATES, according to Harringer ( Harringer Tire Codes: Page 8 ) and that doesn't make sense, unless that code has been assigned by someone else (and that might make sense as Dayton Tire was bought by Firestone Tire, which was bought by Bridgestone, and Bridgestone doesn't list a plant in Albany, GA., so the plant might have been closed.)

Last edited:
These tires now have around 4k on them and they are very quiet and handle well. I just picked up another set of them in 235/50/18 for $58/piece for my 06 Mustang GT convertible.

A Chinese tire somebody says is decent. What a travesty on BITOG......

Last edited:
Update. Tires now have a little over 20k and they are down to 3/32. Very good tire for the money. Just not long life. Would definitely buy them again but only for a car that I don't put 20k on in a year.

These used to be imported by Delta/National as the Sentinel UN33. They also had the UN99 touring all-season and an HT/AT truck lineup. They were fantastic for the money, but the contract with the then-current plant expired in 2014 or so. They were manufactured in China then, so I'm unsure if the newer ones made elsewhere will be the same quality. The same model name, tread design, and sidewall styling is there, though.

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
Not to get off the path.
Can someone translate my DOT manufacturing plant code?

A376 WCFT

Continental/General Mt. Vernon, IL.

Originally Posted by KalapanaBlack
Originally Posted by Patrick0525
Not to get off the path.
Can someone translate my DOT manufacturing plant code?

A376 WCFT

Continental/General Mt. Vernon, IL.

Thanks they are General Tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back