Transmission Filter Dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ,
I am wondering if anybody has run across my situation ? I just bought an oversize cast aluminum transmission pan by 3 quarts , I was told months ago when I orderd it to just get a transmission filter from a 4x4 pickup as their pans are deeper , well I tried a f250 and f350 and they did not fit right in pan ... I can't put new pan in filter too big or not right fit , What I need is just some sort of extension on the pickup tube that sets toward the bottom of the pan on the stock filter , can I buy something like this ? Does anybody have any ideas .. Will try calling manufacturer during the week , it's B+M performance parts that sold this too me thru a catalog .. hmmm an easy job turning in to a project... thanks for any Help ..
dunno.gif
Larry

You may try taking it to the Ford Serivce Dept at the stealer errhhh... I meant dealer. See what they have to say.
grin.gif

Larry B,
I am aware of the dilema that you face. It is hard to fit a filter if the one from the 4X4 does not work. I recommend that you get a trans cooler and install it in line with your present factory one. I did this and my trans temp never exceeds 195 degrees and that is towing a TT up 5-7% grades in the summer with a/c on. I run under 145 normal unloaded and 150-155 towing level.

I was going to use the pan from Mag-Hytec, but after seeing people that did have it, on a trip and hard pull the temp would rise, but would take a long time to go back down. So after much research I opted for the cooler, the biggest that I could buy. Cheaper and fast acting.

Sorry that I couldn't help you with your problem. Just trying to give you an alternate to consider.

Larry,
1) Contact B&M, or
2) Return the pan, get your money back and install a transmission cooler and synthetic ATF.

Ken

Hello Again ,
I am puting that oversize cast aluminum pan on a 2000 E250 Ford Conversion Van with a 4R70W transmission and having 373 rears ... It is a pretty heavy cast aluminum pan with fins on the bottom for cooling also has a drain plug which would make life a lot easier ... I bought this pan last year in September and am just getting around to putting this thing in , finding the receipt and box it came in will be very difficult ... adding about 3 xtra quarts is about 23% more fluid I figure ,keeping it somewhat cooler and cleaner ..., I recently put in a transmission temp gauge and ran about 170 to 185 when towing heavy, scaled out over 11200 gross, towing boat and all gear and passengers ....thats about Ford's limit .. not that I do this more then 2 times a year , up North to Canada about 1000 miles round trip.... I hate to start changing coolers while this is still under warranty , I only have 7500 on vehicle , off road for winters ... I wonder if I'll be alright running the stock filter which is about 2 1/2 inches off bottom ? Maybe I'll have a fluid starvation problem when making sharp turs or off road situations with fluid splashing around.. I'd kind of like to try this pan ... I'll try the suggestions and hope I can come to some conclusion ... as far as synthetic fluid , I have yet to find anything that fits the bill for Mercon V exclusively ... Mobil 1 says for everything but did not see for Mercon V ... On my 30,000 whole fluid change with converter , I'll look harder for something that fits the bill... thanks for all the sugestions ... Larry
cheers.gif

The two synthetic ATFs that claim to be good for MerconV are Amsoil and Redline D4.

It won't be a problem for you with the high pickup, will it? The level will be the same, 'cuz you're using the same dipstick.

Ken

[ May 04, 2003, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

A larger oil pan will not mean cooler oil , the oil takes longer to heat up and cool down. Get an oil cooler per 59 Vetteman. More oil isn't bad though.

Hello ,
It took me awhile to figure out this filter dilema .. The manufacturer rep , did not have all his facts right ... Firstly Ford use to have a filter problem prior to 1996 ... The filter they were using had NO pickup tube at all , on mine and all the ones after 1996 they made a change to the filter , having it with a 1 inch pickup tube , this rep did not have his facts right and the stock filter after 1996 is OK , as their is none with a longer pickup .. I,m going to give it a shot ... I,ll let everyone know if it helps as I have a tranny temp gauge I installed last year ... I do have a factory tranny cooler as Ford puts one on all their 250 vans ... has anybody yanked the factory one out and put a bigger one in ? Any names or tranny cooler part #s to reccomend ? I would consider that after warranty runs out at the end of this summer ...
Thansk for all the input ... Larry B.
cheers.gif

Just wondering, when you have transmission problems in the future (if you do I mean), are you going to blame Ford or the oil you use?
wink.gif

Leave the junk filter out and install, a outside filter setup. This will make filter changes a breeze and allow your truely filter your ATF.

-

quote:

Automatic transmissions have internal filters designed to capture only large particles. The problem with this is they are not very efficient. The reason, they are on the suction side of the pump, and pumps cannot pull fluid thru much of a restriction or filter that has any amount of filtration capabilities. Also, the problem still lies in that you must pull the pan to change or check the filter. Now, you can simply spin on a new filter element.

How it works:
The filter is on the "push" side of the pump, which lends itself to adding one with increased efficiency. Normally, you have the dirty fluid in the pan, the filter hopefully catches the real big stuff before it enters the valves and pump. Then it leaves the transmission as "dirty" fluid. This fluid will have clutch dust and possibly varnished fluid, which are all normal in any automatic transmission, but now, you catch it BEFORE it makes back to the pan. So, the filter in the pan never gets dirty and acts as a backup for the unseen. This unit has a micron rating of 22 microns. That is plenty for any transmission. Pan filters have no micron rating. Many are nothing but screens. This unit does also have a safety feature. It has an internal bypass set at 25 psi should the filter ever be left on and a plugged filter happened. So, the safety margin is already there so you can relax. This also would act as a cooler since it is detached from the trans and the air flow over the filter element would help to dissipate heat.

[ May 07, 2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: msparks ]

Hello ,
Do you think a concern for transmission pump failure due to excessive puhing of the fluid is warranted ? I have a 4R70W transmissio with a transmission temperture gauge sending unit withion a junction block inline , don't know if that with the filter would stress the pump ??? Larry B.
dunno.gif

Larry B, I have a Hayden 679 Rapid Cool in series with the factory stock cooler. The flow is from the transmission output to the factory cooler, then through the Hayden cooler, then to the in-line full flow filter (just like in the picture that MS Sparks posted). Also I mounted my temp. sending unit in the HP test port located on the driver side of the trans, toward the front, just above the pan. It is a 1/4"NPT plug. It has no restriction on fluid flow in this position.
Does it stress the pump to much you asked. That is not the primary concern on the transmission, flow rate is what is measured. If the flow rate is proper, the pump is operating normal.

Call Ford and get the flow rate for your transmission. Remove the return line , have someone start the truck and measure the flow. I did this on my E40D and had exceptional flow. The flow rate for my trans. is 32 ounces in 15 seconds. (1 Quart)
Another option to the Full Flow filter is the in-line Magnafine filter. Small, inexpensive and changed every 30K. This filter is installed by Ford on every rebuilt, reman. trans. I will correct that, it is suppose to be installed by Ford under those conditions. Ford Kit#XC3Z-7B 155-AA.

[ May 07, 2003, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Thanks for the replies ,
Will consider an external filter , hooked up the oversize pan and anxious to see how it does for cooling....... then off to other things ... Larry B.
lol.gif

i also have bought the b&m deep pan for my 4r70w equipped thunderbird but still yet to be put on.
where can i get the external oil filter for this transmission and price? so if i put the external filter do i still need to put the internal filter in???

Hello Again,
Vetteman , my 2000 E250 Ford conversion van came with a transmission cooler , from the factory , are you saying you pulled your factory one out and installed a larger one ? thanks >>> Larry
confused.gif

Hey Casper ,
I would think you would have to , on mine I have a pickup tube on the end of my factory filter , that sucks the oil up thru that , then thru the filter ... It would not hurt to have 2 filters anyways ... internal and external ... just my opinion ....... Larry
patriot.gif

Larry B,

I don't know how simmilar your van is to my 99 Ford PU but mine orginally came with just the air to oil cooler. Ford had many transmissions that over heated while backing up or other slow speed operations. Some time in 2001 or 2002 they again went to a water to oil cooler in the radiator and from there to the air to oil cooler and had much better results. My Ford dealer did this improvement as a TSB when they replaced my burnt up transmission under warrantee. They also added a small inline filter that has a magnet that can be purchased at Ford or on the internet.

[ May 23, 2003, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: White 03 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back