Trans light bilinking and hard shifting

2004 Ford E 150, 274k.
On my way to work this morning transmission started to shift hard and the off light on the gear shifter started to blink, does anyone have any suggestions?
I'm still at work and haven't looked much into it, thanks guys.

I developed a trans problem with my '02 Ford Explorer., a few months back. Shifting weird and slipping, with the trans light blinking. I junked it thinking I would get another vehicle. But after shopping around and looking at 10-12 year old vehicles, I realized I made a mistake. I should have just fixed my Explorer, it would have been cheaper. If your truck is doing it for you ,and you like it, check out what it would cost to fix it VS getting rid of it, before you kiss it goodbye.,,

Check the code(s) and check the fluid level. Might just be low on fluid for a reason that you need to investigate.

Thanks for the feedback guys, just took it to a transmission shop, guy took it for a test drive and ironically the transmission didn't act up, he checked for codes and it turned out to be an electronic pressure control solenoid.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys, just took it to a transmission shop, guy took it for a test drive and ironically the transmission didn't act up, he checked for codes and it turned out to be an electronic pressure control solenoid.
Sweet. Make sure you use an oem pressure solenoid for replacement. Fords can be picky that way

Did you have them replace it? EPC trouble codes don't necessarily mean the EPC Solenoid is faulty.

On just about ANY Ford truck/van.....I inspect the Trans Harness FIRST as they are notorious for getting burnt/melted/shorted on the exhaust manifold from sloppy/careless mechanics not securing the harness after breaking the "Christmas Tree" part of the harness retainer off the cylinder head.

Last edited:
Did you have them replace it? EPC trouble codes don't necessarily mean the EPC Solenoid is faulty.

On just about ANY Ford truck/van.....I inspect the Trans Harness FIRST as they are notorious for getting burnt/melted/shorted on the exhaust manifold from sloppy/careless mechanics not securing the harness after breaking the "Christmas Tree" part of the harness retainer off the cylinder head.
He did not do any work yet , only diagnosed it but did mention about the harness as well, thanks.

Back