03 chevy astro van 4L60E trans hard shift 1-2

240k miles had a used trans put in in normal mode shifts hard 1-2 but in tow/haul mode shifts smooth. Is it possible that this valve body would work the opposite way between normal and tow/haul? If so what part numbers do i need to look at to make this right.

Is it all the time? does it get better or worse once it warms up? I've had a slightly stiff but not hard 1-2 shift in my 4l65e but that's only when it's cold. After 5-10 mins of driving it goes away entirely.

Is it all the time? does it get better or worse once it warms up? I've had a slightly stiff but not hard 1-2 shift in my 4l65e but that's only when it's cold. After 5-10 mins of driving it goes away entirely.
Cold hot doesn't matter checked the fluid for color and smell all good. Old trans was the same way at 75k install a large trans cooler and changed fluid and filter 4-5 times in 240 miles never any debris other than typical silver coating on the pan.

Cold hot doesn't matter checked the fluid for color and smell all good. Old trans was the same way at 75k install a large trans cooler and changed fluid and filter 4-5 times in 240 miles never any debris other than typical silver coating on the pan.
Maybe this thread will have something you could use.

Harsh 1-2 shifts is often called the death shift on the 4L60E.

However something that often happens and people look over is the MAF sensor, when the MAF sensor goes out of range it increases pressure in the transmission and also causes harsh 1-2 shifts and potentially other symptoms. And it is not uncommon for it to go out on these vehicles and not throw a code.

So properly clean the MAF sensor to start with and then run a diagnostic tool and live data to see if it is within spec. Another thing that will cause harsh 1-2 shifts on a 4L60E is a bad throttle position sensor.

There are subtle changes between these transmissions so don't just go buying one on Craigslist and slapping it in without verifying all the calibration numbers.

IIRC there's a valve bore in the valve body that wears and causes a hard initial 1-2 shift when cold. My Silverado had this. Subsequent shifts were fine.

Back