Tracking your DIY maintenance

Anyone else tracking their DIY maintenance on Carfax.com? You can track date, mileage, services performed, notes, and upload receipts. Any experience with this helping with trade-in or resale value?

I recently traded in my Ford and despite immaculately maintained DIY records input into mycarfax, none of them showed up when they ran it.

Funny thing is, because that car had a ton of safety recalls and warranty repairs it looked like the car was “serviced” by the dealer every 5K miles or so. The dealer never changed the oil or did any preventative maintenance but Carfax came back with the “Dealer Maintained” label on the summary page, again because of how unreliable it was.

Because they don’t actually list our DIY entries when someone runs a report, I’ve stopped using the Carfax app and don’t bother reporting my DIY maintenance anymore. I just use the Notes app on my iPhone; it is synced with my iCloud so I know that I’ll never lose the records.

I recently traded in my Ford and despite immaculately maintained DIY records input into mycarfax, none of them showed up when they ran it.

Funny thing is, because that car had a ton of safety recalls and warranty repairs it looked like the car was “serviced” by the dealer every 5K miles or so. The dealer never changed the oil or did any preventative maintenance but Carfax came back with the “Dealer Maintained” label on the summary page, again because of how unreliable it was.

Because they don’t actually list our DIY entries when someone runs a report, I’ve stopped using the Carfax app and don’t bother reporting my DIY maintenance anymore. I just use the Notes app on my iPhone; it is synced with my iCloud so I know that I’ll never lose the records.
Very interesting. Naturally I assumed the DIY maintenance would show when you run the report. But I understand why it might not be trustworthy.

I use an Excel spreadsheet. It also works really good for cars with an OLM or similar system because I can make it calculate the OCI in both time and miles :)

MyCarFax is pretty sweet and what I use, but the DIY maintenance you log into the site does not show up on the official CarFax.

Personal maintenance records are nearly worthless to anyone but the person recording them.

Unfortunately, nobody else seems to care. Meticulous records, generally, don't impact resale value and certainly don't impact trade in value.

I use the Toyota owners web site because it's convenient for me.

MyCarFax app is great for me. I no longer have to wonder when I did something, it’s there in a searchable format, and it has much detail as I wish to enter. Frankly I’m glad the entries don’t show up on a car fax report too. The dozens and dozens of entries I put in over a year period would scare all but the most odd of potential buyers away, should I decide to ever sell one of my cars.

I keep a small notebook in each vehicle. Easy peasy. I don't understand why anyone would need an "app" (sic) to do this.

Back