Tracking your DIY maintenance

I keep a small notebook in each vehicle. Easy peasy. I don't understand why anyone would need an "app" (sic) to do this.
I use an app so I don’t have to write everything down on a notebook. That just seems like an extraordinary amount of hassle to go to for me, but that’s just me, I’m weird in so many ways...

I guess it's a matter of what one is accustomed to, I see writing in a notebook as quick and easy and would consider using an electronic device as a PITA for that purpose.

I use Excel and formulate so that every time the current mileage is entered into the column it auto updates my mileage countdowns for when all fluids are due...easy to see in a snapshot what is coming due soon (within 2k miles I have the item turn red) vs having to look back through a notebook of manual entries.

As far as records being worthless...absolutely not true if you sell private party to anyone who gives a crap about what they're purchasing. I very much value a full history and the reason why buying private party is best...find the OCD folks like myself and have piece of mind!

I've never used Excel or any of those Microsoft Office software products. Maybe if I had a large fleet to maintain something like that would be the ticket but for the number of vehicles I'm dealing with the notebook method works fine. I don't worry too much about resale - by the time I'm done with a car the next stop is usually the boneyard!

Well, I suppose there are 3 schools of thought.
Those who like to keep a handwritten log book(like me) and keep with each vehicle.
Those who like to use an Excel Spreadsheet that they can print out for others to view.
Those who like to use CarFAX or equivalent site, for a all to view

I have been using a spread sheet for decades for every piece of equipment that runs on gas that I own. It dates back to 5/7/88 when I dropped the oil @ 1,000 miles on my "new" 88E-150, and filled it with PYB 10W30 and a PH8A Fram filter. I had note books, and when I got a PC I transferred the note books into a spread sheet.

I keep a notebook in the car. Periodically I transfer it to Excel. Dealership won't care on trade-in for my records; private sale might, so they can get the notebook and I'll keep the Excel.

Personal maintenance records are nearly worthless to anyone but the person recording them.

Unfortunately, nobody else seems to care. Meticulous records, generally, don't impact resale value and certainly don't impact trade in value.

I use the Toyota owners web site because it's convenient for me.

I agree. Last two cars I sold nobody asked for maintenance records. They just wanted the cheapest price. When I sold the Sienna the guy says the engine is making a noise. I also told him to pound sand. He left and came back within half an hour. No rust on a 17 year old Sienna in the Rust belt probably changed his mind.

I use an excel spreadsheet for my own maintenance tracking.

I use an app so I don’t have to write everything down on a notebook. That just seems like an extraordinary amount of hassle to go to for me, but that’s just me, I’m weird in so many ways...

Plus, the smartphone is with you all the time so it’s easy to look up any maintenance you’ve done. The notebook is sitting in the glove box. Another benefit is that the app can be backed up. The notebook? Don’t let the dog eat it.

I use an excel spreadsheet. Usually just the date and what was replaced. If I can remember to note the mileage I will. It is useful to know things, like hey, those moog tie rods are crap, they only lasted 20k!

I use an app called "Autosist". Works on my android phone and chromebook. Easy to use and uploads photos for receipts or parts. Also allows notes for things like socket sizes for jobs like diff oil changes that are done infrequently. I think it's $10 for the app. Worth it to me.

Funny thing is, because that car had a ton of safety recalls and warranty repairs it looked like the car was “serviced” by the dealer every 5K miles or so. The dealer never changed the oil or did any preventative maintenance but Carfax came back with the “Dealer Maintained” label on the summary page, again because of how unreliable it was.

With the amount of times my Subaru has had to go back to the dealer for AC repairs, I bet it looks dealer maintained too

I have a service and maintenance log on my computer where I keep track of all the particulars, whether I do the work or take it to a shop.

I have been using Amsoil Garage as a preferred customer. some things are good like reminders but overall not sure it's the best option since I have nothing to compare it to. Don't think you have to be an Amsoil subscriber to use it either.

Personal maintenance records are nearly worthless to anyone but the person recording them.

Unfortunately, nobody else seems to care. Meticulous records, generally, don't impact resale value and certainly don't impact trade in value.

I'm going to somewhat disagree. When I hunt for my used cars, I usually try and buy from a private party. And over the phone, I ask a lot of questions. I can usually ferret out the guys that never maintained their cars. And if some guy gives me the warm and fuzzies....AND states he has maintainence records, I will pay a slight premium for that car.

To each his own on maintenance records I suppose.

They help me flush out 2 otherwise identical cars for sale..

After owning and maintaining cars for a lifetime I know the kinds of repairs I should be looking at in a vehicle between 50-200K, and want to see some evidence whats been done.

Certain pieces are critical to provide evidence of being done - A timing belt car with no record of it being changed by 100K - immediately needs a belt regardless of the owners claim.

I prefer a manual log thats laid out intelligently, its super easy to type a bunch of dates and " services" into a spreadsheet. I can walk around a vehicle and reconcile certain repairs against a manual log.

There are real quick checks that tell me to keep looking or walk away - like add up all the oil changes and divide by mileage to determine a rough frequency of service.

UD

Back