TPMS-Mine Paid for Itself Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got no interest in TPMS for myself but its not a bad feature for folks like my mom... I always look at the drivers side tires atleast when I get in, and so far I've never run on a tire low enough to damage itself.

The newer systems with the sensor in the tires are much better than the ones that use ABS sensors.

I borrowed my parents minivan to move some lumber and the light is constantly coming on so I don't know when I actually have a flat. The only thing I really found when I went to measure the pressure was that one tire was at 35 PSI and the others were 36.5 PSI and all 4 are 35 PSI recommended. In a situation like this, this actually does more harm than good because the constant false triggers train the driver to ignore the light.

I have an 08 camry and am not impressed with the functioning of the TPMS system. Reason why is because on Monday i swapped out my wheels for a set of older Lexus wheels to compare the ride and to cement my decision to upgrade to 17 or 18 inch wheels.

I then took the vehicle for a 30 mile trip which included a mix of city, country, and freeway driving. During this time the TPMS light did not illuminate at all, even though the OE wheels were still in my garage at home.

In fact, it was not until the following day on my way home from work that the TPMS light lit up. With the OE wheels having been off the vehicle now for some 26 hours. This makes me question how often this system actually checks tire pressure.

Sounds like your system may be malfunctioning. Alternatively, are you sure that your system uses direct-read pressure sensors? The TPMS that was optional on my Corolla (which my Corolla does not have) does not use direct-read sensors, but instead uses speed differences of the wheels to sense a low tire. So you can swap wheels all day long, and as long as the pressures of the left/right tires are the same, the system will be happy.

yup the 08+ Toyotas have valve stem sensors which are now standard on all Toyotas. It would also be nice to be able to actually have the vehicle display the actual tire pressures, but alas once the light illuminates it's up to you to manually check all the tires unless one is clearly low.

One more thing that bugs me about this system is the fact ( Per Toyota ) the computer can only keep track of 5 sensors at any given time. So if you have a winter set of tires and wheels, you'll have to either swap the valve stem sensors to your winter wheel set, or deal with having the light on continuously all winter.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
. . .I'm a "car guy", but everyone asks where my fast cars are. I didn't say I'm a "speed guy", but a "car guy". I appreciate the engineering of a good vehicle so much more than how fast its pistons (or rotor, or motor!) can make it go. My old Cadillac buddies wonder how I can have any driving satisfaction from a lowly Corolla (when in fact, my Corolla is so much more gratifying to me than my former Cadillac).

So enjoy those drives in your TCH. And let the crotch rockets and Mustangs pass you as they please. You're on a different plane!

Right with you on that. Although I don't obsess constantly on mpgs, it's just cool to run around town in a heavy, large-mid-size car while getting 35-39 mpgs (dependent upon weather, fuel quality, and my behavior...). That said, I would add that, especially in the Camry hybrid (compared to the Prius), you can surprise people who what to play the stoplight jump off game. These cars provide maximum electro-torque, from zero rpms, as soon as you put the pedal down. This can be fun in ways no hybrid hater will ever allow himself to understand...

Ah, but I digress. Obviously, it's a free country (well, sort of...) and if anyone out there does not feel like keeping their TPMS active, that's their choice. I certainly appreciate the dilemma (and frustration) of those who have a second set of winter tires. Having grown up in what I just now call the "frozen north," I really do get that. Thankfully, it's not an issue for me. My installation obviously works, and works on a timely basis. While I do lament the ever-increasing complexity of our cars, compared to those of my youth, I'll take the benefit here. Sooner or later (probably already) there will be a case of a tippy SUV that is saved from a multiple-fatal crash because the TPMS went off in time to "break the chain" of events. Of course, those people will never know (since they didn't end up dead...), but still, I trust you all get the point. Don't use the system if you don't want to, but beware if that's the path you choose.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Veilside
One more thing that bugs me about this system is the fact ( Per Toyota ) the computer can only keep track of 5 sensors at any given time. So if you have a winter set of tires and wheels, you'll have to either swap the valve stem sensors to your winter wheel set, or deal with having the light on continuously all winter.

The other option, though it's a PITA, is to get the dealership to reset the system so it recognizes your seasonal set of tires. I know...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I've got no interest in TPMS for myself but its not a bad feature for folks like my mom... I always look at the drivers side tires atleast when I get in, and so far I've never run on a tire low enough to damage itself.

Likewise. By the time a tire is down to 20PSI, it is visually obvious, in my experience. Therefore I always do a walk-around before I drive the car.

Also, as a tire gets low, it starts rolling over onto the sidewall more in turns, which leaves marks on the side of the tire. These marks are a clue that either you've been taking corners too fast or the tire is low.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Likewise. By the time a tire is down to 20PSI, it is visually obvious, in my experience. Therefore I always do a walk-around before I drive the car.

Also, as a tire gets low, it starts rolling over onto the sidewall more in turns, which leaves marks on the side of the tire. These marks are a clue that either you've been taking corners too fast or the tire is low.

You can always, as with many safety systems, identify situations in which the system would provide little or no benefit. That said, I still think that the system's overall benefits justify its existence.

No system should be used as an excuse to reduce one's vigilance toward maintaining a safe car. I still look at my tires, pretty much every day. So maybe we could/should catch the very slow leaker. And obviously, TPMS is irrelevant if you have a catastrophic blow or near blow out (as with a large object puncture or curb strike).

Between such extremes, there is enough utility for me to want the TPMS. How 'bout this counter hypothetical: you're cruising down the interstate with your family on board. You pick up a medium-speed-leak puncture (full to critical in about an hour). How would you prefer to learn about this problem -- the illumination of a warning light or a high-speed blow-out?

Arent some TPMS based upon the ABS or rotational characteristics, not based upon a sensor in the tire?

Sure seems that if this is the case, it would be not that big of an issue, even changing wheels.

The first generation TPMS's were but not anymore. The TPMS's based on the ABS was considered not acurrate or precise enough so now all New vehicles have a sensor in the rim either on the valve stem or banded to the rim.

i would love to have a TPMS. it is an option on new larger toyota sedans down here and is not integrated to the dashboard, you get a readout module fixed to the dash.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
So I was going to go cruise some of the local back roads and trails (yes, in a hybrid Camry!). Sixty seconds from the house, the Low Tire light comes on. Sure enough, the LR is down to 20 psi (would have liked a warning earlier, but I'll take that on a slow leaker close to home).

You can reset the TPMS to alert earlier at 30PSI by airing up the tires to 40PSI, then reset the TPMS system. Reset the TPMS by pressing the reset switch for 3 seconds or longer with the ignition on (car on, engine not "Ready"). The TPMS light will blink 3 times at the start of the reset. Leave the ignition on for 5 minutes to complete the reset. See TPMS.pdf

TPMS has kept me from running flat on the freeway. Sadly, the metal bar not only went through the tread, it damaged the sidewall. Good news is I was able to pull over, air the tire up and make it safely off the freeway due to TPMS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Arent some TPMS based upon the ABS or rotational characteristics, not based upon a sensor in the tire?

Sure seems that if this is the case, it would be not that big of an issue, even changing wheels.

Originally Posted By: FordFocus
The first generation TPMS's were but not anymore. The TPMS's based on the ABS was considered not acurrate or precise enough so now all New vehicles have a sensor in the rim either on the valve stem or banded to the rim.

I don't know if GM still uses this method, but they did on the 98 Regal GS I drove for a few years. On the positive side, you didn't have to worry about sensors, buying duplicates if you had snow tires mounted on different rims, and so forth. On the downside, the system did not seem to work very well.

Mine tried saving me, but I kept ignoring it, and just kept filling the tire with air.

Went in for my oil change, and the tech said my Passenger Front tire was starting to "shred" apart due to an allignment issue.

I kept blaming the TPMS light on the cold/hot weather change this past harsh winter and just kept putting air in lol.

You pick up a medium-speed-leak puncture (full to critical in about an hour). How would you prefer to learn about this problem -- the illumination of a warning light or a high-speed blow-out?

How likely is that particular hypothetical? All of the leak/punctures I've had in my tires (and there have been plenty) have been ones that were very slow, a couple of PSI per day. Perhaps it's because in every case, whatever it was that punctured the tire was still in there helping to seal the leak.

In the situation you described, is it your belief that the tire went from normal pressure to 20PSI in the 60 seconds between when you started the car and the TPMS light came on?

Originally Posted By: brianl703
You pick up a medium-speed-leak puncture (full to critical in about an hour). How would you prefer to learn about this problem -- the illumination of a warning light or a high-speed blow-out?

How likely is that particular hypothetical? All of the leak/punctures I've had in my tires (and there have been plenty) have been ones that were very slow, a couple of PSI per day. Perhaps it's because in every case, whatever it was that punctured the tire was still in there helping to seal the leak.

In the situation you described, is it your belief that the tire went from normal pressure to 20PSI in the 60 seconds between when you started the car and the TPMS light came on?

As for the first, it's no more or less likely than any other scenario. Object punctures tire. Air begins to escape at some rate. Sometimes it will be very fast, sometimes very slow. Depends upon the puncturing object and the circumstances. Are YOU suggesting the existence of some principle that dictates that tire leaks must either be very fast, or very slow, with no in between?

As for the second paragraph, in my case, I suppose there's really no way to tell. I saw the nail the tire guy pulled out. It was about an inch long and maybe a tad less than a pencil lead's diameter. Of course, I have no idea how cleanly it punctured. The particulars of this particular case will remain a mystery.

I too have had many punctures since I started driving in the mid-70s. Many, perhaps the majority have been slow leakers. But I've had some that were pretty fast as well. And even if you have a relatively slow leaker, it might well pass from acceptable to dangerous (not necessarily flat) during an extended drive. I appreciate having the ability to be warned of this.

Is any of this very probable? Is a devastating crash probable? No, but I still wear my belts anyway. I may never see another TPMS light again (wouldn't that be nice), but I'll keep the system on line anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back